From: main@airspy.groups.io <main@airspy.groups.io> On Behalf Of jdow
Sent: 06 March 2019 06:37
To: main@airspy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [airspy] New Direct Sampling Transceiver IC from Texas Instruments #hardware

Well, let's think about this. With a 3 GHz I/Q sample rate, if that is how the chip works out, you get a noise power of -174 dBm basic noise figure 1 noise plus about 95 dB leading to a base level for the A/D noise level of about -79 dBm. Without any decimation tricks that means the top end of the dynamic range is about 0 dBm. That is very respectable for any receiver. Put filters on that thing and you get very serious levels of dynamic range. Then use decimation to extend your LSBs downwards. You can increase the top end dB per dB with what decimation buys you. This toy could have a staggering dynamic range anywhere in a 1+ GHz frequency range 0 through 1+ GHs. This is the stuff that allows ad hoc repeaters without exotic filters, for example.

{^_^}

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras

Exactly. When I saw the specs, I expected a high 3 digit price – now that it even got low 4digit came not as the biggest surprise.

Also the specs of the additional hardware and software to make use of those specs will be above the normal hobbyists equipment.

Ralph, dk5ras.

From: Pierre Martel

at 1800$ a pop. Not sure it will be available in a near futur for our type

of use.

... and I read it as $1800 for a reel of 100!  $18 each.

Cheers,

David

Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

Email: david-taylor@...

Twitter: @gm8arv

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras

Direct sampling makes the price; look into it, no LO :)

Ralph.