sticky [MOD] install-rtlsdr.bat but with Keenerds RTL-SDR Driver and a more recent Zadig version

MELERIX

Usage: just extract it in SDR# folder replacing the older file and run it as always.

Bote Man

From: melerix@...
Sent: Wednesday, 4 May, 2022 22:39
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: [airspy] [MOD] install-rtlsdr.bat but with Keenerds RTL-SDR Driver and a more recent Zadig version

Usage: just extract it in SDR# folder replacing the older file and run it as always.

Attachments:

MELERIX

Edited

as tittle says, it installs Keenerds RTL-SDR Driver: Testing Keenerds RTL-SDR Drivers, instead of the old Osmo RTL-SDR Driver.

also it downloads a more recent version of Zadig 2.7, instead of the old 2.4 version.

Dirk

The Keenerds drivers are from 2014. Do they really better than the mainly used RTL-SDR drivers?

MELERIX

the last version of Keenerds driver is from 2016, and more recent than the one from Osmo which is from 2014.

iu1mrd@...

You can find Osmocom rtl-sdr "daily builds" at: https://ftp.osmocom.org/binaries/windows/rtl-sdr/
There are 32 bit and 64 bit builds.
1) As far as I know we must use 32bit with sdr# even on a 64bit sysop -- anyone can confirm my assumption?
2) Apart the mantra "the newest the best"... anyone knows of a "change log" for those builds?
Cheers
gio'

MELERIX

Edited

yes, these ones are more recent, but using them cause SDR# to crash when you close it and does not save settings.

prog

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 08:36 PM, <melerix@...> wrote:
yes, these ones are more recent, but using them SDR# crash and does not save setting when you close it.
That's number one problem for RTL-SDR users. Any working solution is more than welcome.

MELERIX

well, with Keenerds driver SDR# does not crash anymore when you close it, also it have some improvements compared to the Osmo driver from 2014 (the one download by the original install-rtlsdr.bat file).

anyway I have no idea what could be the main cause of Osmo drivers causing SDR# to crash when you close it, maybe some incompatible dependency.

jdow

There is little point to making the switch. In order to use special features the program using it must change to use new API entry points. About the only worthwhile change in past years has been slightly better arithmetic for setting the frequency synthesizers' frequencies based on the requested frequency. That was before 2014.

{^_^}

On 20220506 04:58:07, iu1mrd@... wrote:
You can find Osmocom rtl-sdr "daily builds" at: https://ftp.osmocom.org/binaries/windows/rtl-sdr/
There are 32 bit and 64 bit builds.
1) As far as I know we must use 32bit with sdr# even on a 64bit sysop -- anyone can confirm my assumption?
2) Apart the mantra "the newest the best"... anyone knows of a "change log" for those builds?
Cheers
gio'

jdow

There is a very clean solution. Fix libusb. As it stands all you can do is play a game selecting which bugs you can tolerate.

{o.p}

On 20220506 11:46:15, prog wrote:
On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 08:36 PM, <melerix@...> wrote:
yes, these ones are more recent, but using them SDR# crash and does not save setting when you close it.
That's number one problem for RTL-SDR users. Any working solution is more than welcome.

Michael Cadiere

Haven't used SDR# on the regular in a long time, it was my favorite, as it was with many. Put this Keenerds version of of the .dll in a sdrsharp-v1858 folder this morning. Surfed around the spectrum, none of the usually hanging up(no having to stop/start) no freezing on exiting. Been running frequency scanner for a few hrs on Airband no hang-ups,  able to stop the scanner, tune over to 2m band, tune over to broadcast FM, start scanning airband again with no hang up.

Only plug-ins used are Freqman & frequency scanner.

Gives me hope to utilize some of the other plug-ins

e_wijkamp@...

After using the batch file I still can't get SDR# to work stable, because it freezes, disappears when started or disappears after a short use.
Scanner plugin wants to start but ends in a freeze and shuts down (disappears).
Freqman (TheWraith 2008) is the plugin I need, and I want it showing up in the right side of the screen.
The original FrequencyManager is a kind of copy of the TheWraith version, but it has a small item list and is not my cup of tea with many thousands of entrys in my list.

CPU: i5, HDD: SSD RAM:8GB (Toshiba satellite)
RTL-USB (blue DVB-T stick).

After beiing a big fan of SDR#, I use it less because basically it's not stable anymore.
Also problems with Ryzen computers, many (old) versions do start up, but no sound at all and sometimes it won't start at all.

All problems here occurred on many different computers after the changes in the 1700 and 1800 series.
Not all changes are working out fine, I hope sincerely hope that there comes a time that the program gets better.
Before someone says: why do you use these plugins I can tell that you the naked/basic version has the same problems.

If someone has a stable version, please zip it and direct mail me the version so I can test it. Thanks in advance..

Michael Cadiere

Still running, stopped scan, tuned to 70cm, then 2m, tuned to noaa weather 162.525, it hesitated for less than 10sec, then all good(no crash 🙂) tuned to broadcast FM then started scanner again. Windows 10, only stuff open is browser, notepad ++ , explorer folder and sdr#

prog

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 07:37 PM, <e_wijkamp@...> wrote:
After beiing a big fan of SDR#, I use it less because basically it's not stable anymore.
Also problems with Ryzen computers, many (old) versions do start up, but no sound at all and sometimes it won't start at all.
For optimal performance use an Airspy. No effort is spent on any other hardware. Don't expect people to work for free to fix obsolete drivers for hardware that is not theirs.

MELERIX

Edited

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 01:37 PM, <e_wijkamp@...> wrote:
Also problems with Ryzen computers, many (old) versions do start up, but no sound at all and sometimes it won't start at all.
about that issue is easy to fix, just make sure that your PC mainboard BIOS is updated with the more recent stable version, because they have fixed various USB issues with a new AGESA microcode in the newest BIOS versions.