Topics

High performance VHF/UHF preamp

Chris Smolinski

Any recommendations for a high performance VHF/UHF preamp suitable for remote mounting at the antenna? (A discone in this case) I'm looking for something broadband from say 50 to 1200 MHz. I know broadband and high performance are not often used in the same sentence when discussing preamps :)

Chris Smolinski
Black Cat Systems
Westminster, MD USA
http://www.blackcatsystems.com

Everett N4CY

Hi Chris,

If you will look on eBay and search for HF/VHF/UHF LNA you will find several that range from $5 to $20. The only thing is I did not see any with a bias tee.

Everett N4CY

In a message dated 12/2/2019 8:01:49 AM Central Standard Time, csmolinski@... writes:

Any recommendations for a high performance VHF/UHF preamp suitable for remote mounting at the antenna? (A discone in this case) I'm looking for something broadband from say 50 to 1200 MHz. I know broadband and high performance are not often used in the same sentence when discussing preamps :)

Chris Smolinski
Black Cat Systems
Westminster, MD USA

Greg Ella

Option 1 is to mount your Airspy at the antenna, along with a Raspberry Pi or similar as a server.  No feedline loss.

Option 2 is a good mast mounted preamp for Over The Air TV.  RCA made a good one.  They should be good up
through 700 MHz, and some have a built in FM BCB trap.  For 900 MHz and up, you probably want a separate dedicated
antenna and amplifier.

Greg Ella
N0EMP

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:59 AM Everett N4CY via Groups.Io <everettsharp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Chris,

If you will look on eBay and search for HF/VHF/UHF LNA you will find several that range from $5 to $20. The only thing is I did not see any with a bias tee.

Everett N4CY

In a message dated 12/2/2019 8:01:49 AM Central Standard Time, csmolinski@... writes:

Any recommendations for a high performance VHF/UHF preamp suitable for remote mounting at the antenna? (A discone in this case) I'm looking for something broadband from say 50 to 1200 MHz. I know broadband and high performance are not often used in the same sentence when discussing preamps :)

Chris Smolinski
Black Cat Systems
Westminster, MD USA
http://www.blackcatsystems.com

Michał Frątczak

Airspy US

Or since the OP is in the states...

<<https://v3.airspy.us/product/upu-fpwb/>>

This product was actually designed for us by Uputronics.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

Kriss Kliegle

404 error on above link, try this:
https://v3.airspy.us/product-category/preamps/
I don't see a broad band one though, all are band or frequency specific.

Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle

OOPS! There's one on the last page, didn't see pg 2 of pre-amps!
Kriss KA1GJU