Topics

HF+ Discovery External Reference

pauldbnut@...

Hi, I'm wondering if there is an internal connection point similar to that for R2, HF+? Would be nice.

Airspy US

There is not one like the R2 has, and the HF+ has none, but in both HF+
models the crystal oscillator can be replaced with a GPSDO standard clock.
Not a recommended mod for any but the most skilled surface mount techs.

There is at least one article where this was done with the
HF+ Dual Port. There is not as much room in the Discovery.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

On 1/6/2020 6:05 PM, pauldbnut@... wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if there is an internal connection point similar to that for R2, HF+? Would be nice.

jdow

I understand there is not.
{^_^}

On 20200106 15:05:26, pauldbnut@... wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if there is an internal connection point similar to that for R2, HF+? Would be nice.

jdow

And for MOST purposes the HF+ frequency calibration can be refined enough for roughly 1 Hz accuracy level through the HF bands. The user would see some temperature drift. But, experience suggests that's low enough to be very useful even if it is not modern frequency standard level of precision.

{^_^}

On 20200106 18:04:12, Airspy US via Groups.Io wrote:
There is not one like the R2 has, and the HF+ has none, but in both HF+
models the crystal oscillator can be replaced with a GPSDO standard clock.
Not a recommended mod for any but the most skilled surface mount techs.
There is at least one article where this was done with the
HF+ Dual Port. There is not as much room in the Discovery.
---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US
NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...
On 1/6/2020 6:05 PM, pauldbnut@... wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if there is an internal connection point similar to that for R2, HF+? Would be nice.

pauldbnut@...

Hi, thanks for the information.
Disappointed, of course, but good to know.
Paul

Marcus D. Leech

On 01/06/2020 09:19 PM, jdow wrote:
And for MOST purposes the HF+ frequency calibration can be refined enough for roughly 1 Hz accuracy level through the HF bands. The user would see some temperature drift. But, experience suggests that's low enough to be very useful even if it is not modern frequency standard level of precision.

{^_^}
This is normally a concern for folks using exceedingly-narrowband modes--I would expect the default clock to be more-than-adequate
for almost everything.

The only thing might be if one were doing some kind of phased-array work, it would be required to share a clock, although that clock
needn't have laboratory-reference-clock levels of performance.

On 20200106 18:04:12, Airspy US via Groups.Io wrote:
There is not one like the R2 has, and the HF+ has none, but in both HF+
models the crystal oscillator can be replaced with a GPSDO standard clock.
Not a recommended mod for any but the most skilled surface mount techs.

There is at least one article where this was done with the
HF+ Dual Port. There is not as much room in the Discovery.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

On 1/6/2020 6:05 PM, pauldbnut@... wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if there is an internal connection point similar to that for R2, HF+? Would be nice.

Greg Ella

My Discovery seems to be a sealed unit in a plastic case, unlike the dual port HF+, so I would be afraid to even try and open it.

A couple of people have solved the clock error and drift problem on the Icom IC-9700 by inductively coupling a GPSDO clock signal into the
factory clock in the Icom, causing it to injection lock.  This requires no modification to the radio or direct connection of any kind.  See the Leo
Bodnar injection board over at the 9700 groups.io

Since the Discovery has a plastic case, a similar approach might work for it, through the case, without having to open or modify it.

Greg Ella
N0EMP

Airspy US

Slightly OT (but not), but we have been asked by several people if we are going to carry the 9700 external frequency reference injection board made by Leo Bodnar. The information we received from them is that a firmware update will soon fix the issue and the board is basically a doomed product.

So we would not suggest putting a lot of effort into workarounds.
(unless you really want to do something that will soon be obsolete)

---------