Topics

HF+ Discovery + DNR

Marcus Ramos

Hi all ...

I was and still impressed by Discovery performance, already ordered and received mine.

My last SDR aquisition was ... a SDR-IQ several years ago. Before that I built my own QSDs and used most common softwares around with sound card + QSD (hdsdr, sdreceiver, sdr#, powersdr, DreAM IQ mode, Spectrum Lab, Linrad etc).

On AirSpy HF+ Discovery web page there is two DNR recording examples (https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/)

Dumb question: is this feature a SDRSharp resource or is it part of Discovery firmware?

In my case those two audio files was 40% buying decision btw :)

73
Marcus
PY3CRX + PY2PLL
GG66rf

prog

Edited

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 02:17 PM, Marcus Ramos wrote:
Dumb question: is this feature a SDRSharp resource or is it part of Discovery firmware?
Both were developed by the same people and optimized to work with each other.
The DNR can still work with other supported hardware, but it won't behave the same. More specifically, the DNR is a non-linear process that depends heavily on the phase response and spectrum flatness of the receiver plus some psycho-acoustic black magic to work.

Marcus Ramos

I see ...

So, apps that use Discovery EXTIO (e.g. HDSDR) will never activate let's say an "embedded" DNR, if any.

But its fine, I'm a bit used to SDR#. Just curious abt the "block diagrams" ;).

This is the 1st time I see an NR that does not produce anoying artifacts nor auditive fadigue. I only need to feel how to mix / set each block for the best result.

I like to chase NDBs DX, NAVTEX DX etc and may be now FM-BCs from now on. 18 bits make difference :). But this is another story.

Thanks + 73

Marcus.

Em 08/11/2019 10:18, prog escreveu:

[Edited Message Follows]

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 02:17 PM, Marcus Ramos wrote:
Dumb question: is this feature a SDRSharp resource or is it part of Discovery firmware?
Both were developed by the same people and optimized to work with each other.
The DNR can still work with other supported hardware, but it won't behave the same. More specifically, the DNR is a non-linear process that depends heavily on the phase response and spectrum flatness of the receiver plus some psycho-acoustic black magic to work.

prog

Edited

Achieving these kind of results requires a very high level of software/hardware integration.
I am glad you enjoy it!