Topics

Help needed with the gain settings in the SpyServer

Glenn Blum

Is there a possible problem with my combination of a spy server running on a Raspberry Pi4B with R2 and Spyverter R2 and clipping when gain set above 9? Since the firmware update I find that I get clipping on SDR# (slightly) and on SDR Console V3 the clipping is really bad above gain setting 7. I am using the spyserver on my local wired system and not on wifi.

IS there a setting in the configuration file I need to change? I have the bandwidth set to 2000.

Thanks,

Glenn Blum

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

radiostationx

Hi Glen,
Have you tried stopping SDR# then use full IQ option in SDR# ?

Glenn Blum

Yes I use full IQ on SDR# and works fine until I have to set the gain up above 10 then I start seeing the horizontal lines but in SDR Console the audio is clipped. It seams that this problem has started up recently. Now I was wondering if there was a problem with AGC threshold throttling or something as simple as my USB cable acting up.

Thanks,

Glenn Blum

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 6:06 AM
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: Re: [airspy] Help needed with the gain settings in the SpyServer

Hi Glen,

Siegfried Jackstien

how often you have these lines (and the clipping) ??

regular interval timing??

electric fence causing clipping?? (or a flight radar close to your location?!? ... just shooting in the dark here)

if you use an upmixer then that upmixer is setting up your systems sensitivity ... so cranking up the gain in your sdr does not also mean better sensitivity (especially on shortwave with our bigger wire antennas a high signal level comes in that mixer) ...

so if you do not loose too much sensitivity then just use lower gain setting and be done with it

without see what you see / hear it is difficult to help you ... is it agc acting?? is it clipping?? what settings do you use in sdrconsole (as an example) ... screenshot??

bw setting should not be the problem here as long as you have no dropouts

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 22.06.2020 um 14:31 schrieb Glenn Blum:

Yes I use full IQ on SDR# and works fine until I have to set the gain up above 10 then I start seeing the horizontal lines but in SDR Console the audio is clipped. It seams that this problem has started up recently. Now I was wondering if there was a problem with AGC threshold throttling or something as simple as my USB cable acting up.

Thanks,

Glenn Blum

Hi Glen,

Glenn Blum

The lines are all the time. In SDR# there is no problem. I have no electric Fence or radar close by. I don’t see this when I use my SDR Play RSP1A and its set to a Pi server too the same way I have my AIRSpy R2. If I have to setting for gain set lower the lines are a lot less. Now main problem is with SDR Console. Not really with SDR#.

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:06 AM

electric fence causing clipping?? (or a flight radar close to your location?!? ... just shooting in the dark here)

if you use an upmixer then that upmixer is setting up your systems sensitivity ... so cranking up the gain in your sdr does not also mean better sensitivity (especially on shortwave with our bigger wire antennas a high signal level comes in that mixer) ...

so if you do not loose too much sensitivity then just use lower gain setting and be done with it

without see what you see / hear it is difficult to help you ... is it agc acting?? is it clipping?? what settings do you use in sdrconsole (as an example) ... screenshot??

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Thanks,

Glenn Blum

Hi Glen,

Glenn Blum

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:06 AM

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Thanks,

Glenn Blum

Hi Glen,

jdow

I suspect your knowledge of how to set the gain properly might be lacking something. But with this picture no way I could tell. I suppose you are convinced there is no way those could be real EM waves of some sort you are picking up. So....

{^_^}

On 20200623 10:32:58, Glenn Blum wrote:
The lines are all the time. In SDR# there is no problem. I have no electric Fence or radar close by. I don’t see this when I use my SDR Play RSP1A and its set to a Pi server too the same way I have my AIRSpy R2. If I have to setting for gain set lower the lines are a lot less. Now main problem is with SDR Console. Not really with SDR#.
Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
*From: *Siegfried Jackstien <mailto:siegfried.jackstien@...>
*Sent: *Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:06 AM
*To: *airspy@groups.io <mailto:airspy@groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [airspy] Help needed with the gain settings in the SpyServer
greetz sigi dg9bfc
Yes I use full IQ on SDR# and works fine until I have to set the gain up
above 10 then I start seeing the horizontal lines but in SDR Console the
audio is clipped. It seams that this problem has started up recently. Now I
was wondering if there was a problem with AGC threshold throttling or
something as simple as my USB cable acting up.
Thanks,
Glenn Blum
*From: *radiostationx via groups.io <mailto:radiostationx=yahoo.com@groups.io>
*Sent: *Monday, June 22, 2020 6:06 AM
Hi Glen,

jdow

No comment - picture unreadable.
{^_^}

On 20200623 10:33:33, Glenn Blum wrote:
*From: *Siegfried Jackstien <mailto:siegfried.jackstien@...>
*Sent: *Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:06 AM
greetz sigi dg9bfc
Yes I use full IQ on SDR# and works fine until I have to set the gain up
above 10 then I start seeing the horizontal lines but in SDR Console the
audio is clipped. It seams that this problem has started up recently. Now I
was wondering if there was a problem with AGC threshold throttling or
something as simple as my USB cable acting up.
Thanks,
Glenn Blum
*From: *radiostationx via groups.io <mailto:radiostationx=yahoo.com@groups.io>
*Sent: *Monday, June 22, 2020 6:06 AM
Hi Glen,

Glenn Blum

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 1:10 AM
Subject: [airspy] Help needed with the gain settings in the SpyServer

Is there a possible problem with my combination of a spy server running on a Raspberry Pi4B with R2 and Spyverter R2 and clipping when gain set above 9? Since the firmware update I find that I get clipping on SDR# (slightly) and on SDR Console V3 the clipping is really bad above gain setting 7. I am using the spyserver on my local wired system and not on wifi.

IS there a setting in the configuration file I need to change? I have the bandwidth set to 2000.

Thanks,

Glenn Blum