Topics

Does SDR# support CommRadio CR1a?

rl3james

Can SDR# be configured to support I/Q data via USB from the CommRadio CR1a?

(Apologies if duplicate post - Submitted several days ago w/o, AFAIK, Topic appearing or Moderator notice of issue...)

Thanks,
Bo3b

prog

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 06:51 PM, rl3james wrote:
Can SDR# be configured to support I/Q data via USB from the CommRadio CR1a?

(Apologies if duplicate post - Submitted several days ago w/o, AFAIK, Topic appearing or Moderator notice of issue...)

Thanks,
Bo3b
If it's listed with the available sources, then it's supported. If it's not, it's not supported.

rl3james

If not listed as "built-in" supported input source, can a "custom" IQ input be added as a plug-in?

prog

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 01:00 PM, rl3james wrote:
If not listed as "built-in" supported input source, can a "custom" IQ input be added as a plug-in?
Yes, and someone has to pay for it.

rl3james

Could a "Generic" input source option be created that provides typical IQ parameters that User can customize for experimenting with different radios?

prog

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 03:02 PM, rl3james wrote:
Could a "Generic" input source option be created that provides typical IQ parameters that User can customize for experimenting with different radios?
There are many open source projects you can play with on github.

Marcus D. Leech

On 03/01/2021 09:02 AM, rl3james wrote:
Could a "Generic" input source option be created that provides typical IQ parameters that User can customize for experimenting with different radios?
_._,_._,_
Given that there are ZERO standards for how SDRs "do USB", it's not clear how this would work in practice.  Someone would still
  have to write a driver that interfaces between the radio and this "generic" input into SDR#.

In the audio world, there is such a thing as a "class" driver interface.  Every USB audio interface conforms to a standard way of
  interfacing to it, so that you don't need a special driver for each manufacturers USB audio device, and applications software can
  generally blissfully unaware.  Such is NOT true for SDR devices.

jdow

I believe Soapy SDR is such an effort as is ExtIO. Neither is a perfect solution.
{o.o}

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 07:07 AM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
Given that there are ZERO standards for how SDRs "do USB", it's not clear how this would work in practice.  Someone would still
  have to write a driver that interfaces between the radio and this "generic" input into SDR#.
Thanks for the reply.

Could the CR1a USB output be "converted" (via some type of cable adapter) to provide the IQ data as SDR# soundcard input?

Alan G4ZFQ

Marcus D. Leech wrote:

Could the CR1a USB output be "converted" (via some type of cable adapter) to provide the IQ data as SDR# soundcard input?
Have you got this radio?
The manual says there is software to support it.
It looks as if it sends data via a COM port, if so your choices are minimal.

Alan

rl3james

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 07:08 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Have you got this radio?
The manual says there is software to support it.
It looks as if it sends data via a COM port, if so your choices are minimal.
I do have the CR1a and software with IQ data provided to PC via USB.
(from User Manual)
> The CR-1a has a new USB controller (FTDI: FT231X) to allow
> for remote control and output of I-Q data.

Works but is very limited - Was hoping to find software alternative and as owner of Airspy/Spyverter, SDR# seemed liked a good candidate.
(If not USB direct then thought maybe USB conversion to soundcard...)

Alan G4ZFQ

> The CR-1a has a new USB controller (FTDI: FT231X) to allow
> for remote control and output of I-Q data.
Works but is very limited - Was hoping to find software alternative
Yes, that's what I thought.
I've seen an Elad which has similar with a Bluetooth to Android adaptor. [The Elad also has a proper USB IQ output]
It seems to me the limit is in the serial data stream.

Maybe the better way is an IF tap so more data is output?

Alan