Topics

Discovery High speed USB and Virtual Machines

Pete Ferrand

Somehow my original email got changed from Sandbox to Virtual Machines.

In Windows 10 a virtual machine is one thing, a sandbox is another. I'm talking about the sandbox provided with Windows 10 pro. You enable it thru the "turn windows features on or off" function...it is NOT something downloaded as a separate thing.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 16, 2021 2:21 AM
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: [airspy] High speed USB and Virtual Machines

I have a Discovery and an HF+. I would like to run one of them in a Windows 10 SANDBOX. However neither SDR#, HDSDR, or Device Manager can find the receiver.

Is there a way to make this work?

The sandbox has no difficulty accessing the USB mouse or keyboard, and the programs connect to the Asus Xonar DG soundcard via something called "Remote Audio" which seems to work.  System is an I7 Supermicro server board.

Thanks!
Pete
WB2QLL
Mount Pleasant, WI

prog

"Sandbox" is the function. It is implemented using virtualization. Virtualization is the underlying technology.
Once you know what technology you are actually using, it will be easier for all to help you or maybe find the solution on your own.

Pete Ferrand

Yes, you are of course correct. But I wasn't talking about the technology. I was talking about the name of the function. And Sandbox is a specific function in Windows. Of course a Sandbox is a virtual machine, but virtual machine is a term that describes a variety of programs potentially from a variety of sources which may act differently. If there is a virtual machine from some other source that would be compatible, I would be interested in that as well.

Sent: Jan 16, 2021 3:55 AM
Subject: Re: [airspy] Discovery High speed USB and Virtual Machines Sandbox not VM

"Sandbox" is the function. It is implemented using virtualization. Virtualization is the underlying technology.
Once you know what technology you are actually using, it will be easier for all to help you or maybe find the solution on your own.

prog

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM, Pete Ferrand wrote:Yes, you are of course correct. But I wasn't talking about the technology. I was talking about the name of the function. And Sandbox is a specific function in Windows. Of course a Sandbox is a virtual machine, but virtual machine is a term that describes a variety of programs potentially from a variety of sources which may act differently. If there is a virtual machine from some other source that would be compatible, I would be interested in that as well.

OK. So you insist in using the Microsoft marketing jargon instead of qualifying your problem using technical terminology. It's definitely your time being wasted in inefficient communication, especially in a tech oriented mailing list. 

Just to save everybody's time, your new axis of research should be "HyperV USB virtualization". 
Have fun. 

Pete Ferrand

My 20 years of experience as a technical writing consultant for the computer industry taught me to use specific words when referring to specific things and to use Microsoft jargon when referring to specific Microsoft products. 

Now if someone had solved the problem - and if, as usually happens I missed something obvious - someone could come back and say, "Oh i use Sandbox and all you have to do is..." they would be able to pinpoint it exactly....and it would pop up in a search or instantly on a subject line.

Had I expressed an interest in HyperV USB virtualization, that is a much broader area that may lead to discussions that would not necessarily be applicable to a specific piece of existing software or hardware, and certainly a more complex discussion than oops you missed something. 

Pete

Sent: Jan 16, 2021 4:16 AM
Subject: Re: [airspy] Discovery High speed USB and Virtual Machines

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM, Pete Ferrand wrote:Yes, you are of course correct. But I wasn't talking about the technology. I was talking about the name of the function. And Sandbox is a specific function in Windows. Of course a Sandbox is a virtual machine, but virtual machine is a term that describes a variety of programs potentially from a variety of sources which may act differently. If there is a virtual machine from some other source that would be compatible, I would be interested in that as well.

OK. So you insist in using the Microsoft marketing jargon instead of qualifying your problem using technical terminology. It's definitely your time being wasted in inefficient communication, especially in a tech oriented mailing list. 

Just to save everybody's time, your new axis of research should be "HyperV USB virtualization". 
Have fun. 

prog

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM, Pete Ferrand wrote:
Had I expressed an interest in HyperV USB virtualization, that is a much broader area that may lead to discussions that would not necessarily be applicable to a specific piece of existing software or hardware, and certainly a more complex discussion than oops you missed something. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer. A good one. 

prog

First and second links seem to address the problem. Not tested tho. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+virtualization+hyper-v