Topics

band changing anomaly

mcquillanj@...

i have an airspy discovery sdr,which i am delighted with , firmware 302bb , upgraded to 306bb and i have noticed when in the medium wave band i click on 7o cm the sdr stays on medium wave, but if i click on any other band then on to 70 cm the sdr will change to 70 cm this happens in sdr sharp and sdr consol can you tell me if this is normal behavour or has my unit developed a fault or is it just a quirk. best regards McQuillan email mcquillanj@...

Kriss Kliegle

The Airspy Discovery doesn't go up to 70CM (440MHz), the upper limit is 260 MHz. You need to use the Airspy R2, that will give you from 24 - 1700 MHz.

Per the website:
https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

Technical specifications

  • HF coverage between 0.5 kHz .. 31 MHz
  • VHF coverage between 60 .. 260 MHz
  • Linearity: +15 dBm IIP3 on HF at maximum gain
  • Linearity: +13 dBm IIP3 on VHF at maximum gain
  • Dynamic Range: 110 dB blocking dynamic range (BDR) in HF
  • Dynamic Range: 95 dB blocking dynamic range (BDR) in VHF
  • Selectivity: 150+ dB combined selectivity (hardware + software)
  • Image Rejection: 120 dB (software)
  • Filtering: Polyphase Tracking filters for close range interference suppression
  • Filtering: New High Performance Pre-selector for HF with 4 filter banks (corners at ~DC, 5, 10, 17 and 31 MHz)
  • Filtering: New High Performance Pre-selector for VHF (Air, HAM, Commercial and Military VHF)
  • Filtering: New High Performance Pre-selector for the FM band (Japan, US, EU, OIRT)
  • Up to 660 kHz alias and image free output for 768 ksps IQ
  • 18 bit Embedded Digital Down Converter (DDC)
  • 22 bit Resolution at 3 kHz channel using State of the Art DDC (SDR# and SDR-Console)
  • +10 dBm Maximum RF input
  • 0.5 ppm high precision, low phase noise clock
  • 1 PPB frequency adjustment capability
  • Very low phase noise PLL (-110 dBc/Hz @ 1kHz separation @ 100 MHz)
  • Best Noise reduction of the market using state of the art algorithms
  • 2 x High Dynamic Range Sigma Delta ADCs @ up to 36 MSPS
  • Single RF Input to cover all bands with High Linearity switching
  • Improved input matching down to virtually DC
  • Smart AGC with real time optimization of the gain distribution for Best SNR in all situations
  • No drivers required! 100% Plug-and-play on Windows Vista, Seven, 8, 8.1 and 10
  • Industrial Operating Temperature: -45°C to 85°C
  • Ultra small Form Factor: 45 x 60 x 10 mm
73 Kriss KA1GJU

jdow

Note that AirSpy HF+ (Discovery) modules do not speak 70 cm. So any results from trying to set such a frequency will lead to strange results. Only AirSpy and AirSpy (R2) cover that band, and lots of others up there without any HF coverage.

{^_^}

On 20200628 13:14:36, mcquillanj@... wrote:
i have an airspy discovery sdr,which i am delighted with , firmware 302bb , upgraded to 306bb and i have noticed when in the medium wave band i click on 7o cm the sdr stays on medium wave, but if i click on any other band then on to 70 cm the sdr will change to 70 cm this happens in sdr sharp and sdr consol can you tell me if this is normal behavour or has my unit developed a fault or is it just a quirk. best regards McQuillan email mcquillanj@...

Airspy US

And Airspy Mini.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

On 6/28/2020 11:12 PM, jdow wrote:
Note that AirSpy HF+ (Discovery) modules do not speak 70 cm. So any results from trying to set such a frequency will lead to strange results. Only AirSpy and AirSpy (R2) cover that band, and lots of others up there without any HF coverage.

{^_^}

On 20200628 13:14:36, mcquillanj@... wrote:
i have an airspy discovery sdr,which i am delighted with , firmware 302bb , upgraded to 306bb and i have noticed when in the medium wave band i click on 7o cm the sdr stays on medium wave, but if i click on any other band then on to 70 cm the sdr will change to 70 cm this happens in sdr sharp and sdr consol can you tell me if this is normal behavour or has my unit developed a fault or is it just a quirk. best regards McQuillan email mcquillanj@...

Ross Kay

"....but if i click on any other band then on to 70 cm the sdr will change to 70 cm..."
Have you actually received any 70 cm communications in this situation?

CG

To receive 70 cm with the Airspy Discovery, you must be in God Mode. <jk>

73s

Ross Kay

Or better than that..... "Prog Mode" !

Joe M.

I think if prog could have gotten UHF out of it, he would have.

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 5:39 PM, Ross Kay wrote:
Or better than that..... "Prog Mode" !

Edward MacDonald