Topics

Any benevolent developer to help me with #firmware #request #airspyr2

simontoyra@...

Hello!
Can someone please help me creating a firmware for Airspy R2 that has CLK4-6 enabled with 10 MHz output?
GPS 10 MHz reference in

Regards
Simon

prog

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 09:20 PM, <simontoyra@...> wrote:
Hello!
Can someone please help me creating a firmware for Airspy R2 that has CLK4-6 enabled with 10 MHz output?
GPS 10 MHz reference in

Regards
Simon

I'm not sure where this request fits. The code is disclosed for the adventurous programmers who already know some programming but didn't necessarily participate in the design phases of the device. Even then, changing the clocking scheme of an SDR is a can of worms (or can of spurs if you prefer). This requires more than linear thinking to get right.

Anyway, here are the clues for a successful strategy:
1 - Install the pre-requisites like in the README
2 - Compile the firmware as-is and check that it works
3 - Download the Silabs Clock Builder software
4 - Generate your new clock config
5 - Replace the hex config in the firmware. It's clearly commented.
6 - Build and test again
7 - Check for the extra spurs and phase noise
8 - Try to figure out what you messed up
9 - Go to 4

You can also check the Si5351 Application Notes to get a better understanding of the hardware.

simontoyra@...

Thank you!
I managed to modify the original firmware and get 3 syncronized 10 MHz outputs from the ports following your suggestions.
It wasnt easy because im very unexperienced working with github.
Im also not so good att radio to tell if anything went worse with radio after implementing the outputs
At first i got worse reception but after taking away the oscilloscope leads all seems to be ok according to
my limited experience.

Thank you again!

prog

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 01:02 AM, <simontoyra@...> wrote:
Thank you!
I managed to modify the original firmware and get 3 syncronized 10 MHz outputs from the ports following your suggestions.
It wasnt easy because im very unexperienced working with github.
Im also not so good att radio to tell if anything went worse with radio after implementing the outputs
At first i got worse reception but after taking away the oscilloscope leads all seems to be ok according to
my limited experience.

Thank you again!
The experience will build up with experimentation and good readings. I'm glad this approach helped so far.