Topics

Analyzing battery Charger Noise using a LISN Line Impedance Stabilization Network

Paul Cianciolo

Anyone who is interested of SWL'ing  NDB hunting, DX'ing, or any sort of listen in the LF MF and HF band has run into these cheap battery chargers and the RFI noise  havoc they wreak.
This video shows a ways to compare noise sources focusing on bad battery chargers. Next episode we will cover LED lighting and compare those.
SDR's are the perfect tool for visualizing noise signatures.
Not strictly on topic but surely of interest to any radio enthusiast.

https://youtu.be/JwcMwH1Xw2c

PaulC

W1VLF

Ken Sejkora

Excellent video as always, Paul.  You aptly demonstrated a couple of such noise sources, but the list seems endless.  Switching power supplies have become a commonplace way of life – “wall warts” for charging cell phones, powering modems and routers and printers and cameras and…, electric toothbrush chargers, electric shaver chargers, etc.  Don’t forget the clock displays in microwave ovens and stoves.  House alarm systems.  Not only does the list seems endless, it is growing.

Thanks again, Paul.

Ken - WBØOCV

--

Ken, WBØOCV East Falmouth, MA USA
41.5997N, 70.5614W  FN41ro

Paul Cianciolo

Hi Ken,

The list goes on and on.

However if designed correctly they can be a viable alternative to the linear supply.

SDR’s are a blessing and a curse at the same time.

On one hand SDR’s and the associated software that give a visual signature, a positive ID of the noise spectrum are a powerful tool for identifying a given noise and using that signature to track it to its origin.

On the other hand we see patterns of noise that we never realized were there before.

Personally in my day job I recommend the use of an SDR as a noise hunting tool. Too many times folks have thought they were hunting powerline noise when really the source is something entirely different and carried by the power lines.  A laptop, and HF+ or Discovery go a long way toward discovering a noise source.

Does any of the current software look for repeating patterns and point this out.  I have used the peak markers for this on a number of occasions.

Thanks to all that make this SDR’s and software possible.

I don’t think that gets mentioned nearly enough.

PaulC

W1VLF

Check out my  Youtube Channel W1VLF