Topics

AirSpy R2 and Win10 on HP Slimline

fudge@...

Using plug and play, Win10 system does not recognize AirSpy R2 device. Does not appear under Device Manager "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as AIRSPY. I have tried all the fixes found on this site with no joy. This is driving me nuts. The presence of a new device is not recognized by the operating system. There does not appear to be a piece of software available to initially detect the presence of the dongle. My computer is a HP Slimline Desktop PC270. The unit does work with a generic no name type computer running Win10.
Could there be something unique about the way a HP computer handles usb ports?
--
John VA3JQ Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada

Greg Ella

Hi John,

I use an HP Z210 with no problems.

Are you using the right cable?  There are cell phone charger cables that have power wires but not data wires.  Try a cable that you know will transfer data (ie pictures from your phone to your computer.

Find someone with a Linux computer, or get a bootable Linux disc such as Knoppix.  Boot it up without the Airspy plugged in.
Open a terminal window and run the command dmesg.  Look at the last line of the output from that command,  Then plug in your Airspy, wait a few seconds, and run dmesg again.  There should be a few new lines of output at the end recognizing your device as an Airspy and giving the serial number.  This lets you know that your cable and at least the USB chip in your Airspy are good.

Some people have recently had to let their Airspy, HF+, or Discovery sit plugged in for a LONG time on a Windows machine for it to find and install the correct driver.

Greg Ella
N0EMP

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:19 AM <fudge@...> wrote:
Using plug and play, Win10 system does not recognize AirSpy R2 device. Does not appear under Device Manager "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as AIRSPY. I have tried all the fixes found on this site with no joy. This is driving me nuts. The presence of a new device is not recognized by the operating system. There does not appear to be a piece of software available to initially detect the presence of the dongle. My computer is a HP Slimline Desktop PC270. The unit does work with a generic no name type computer running Win10.
Could there be something unique about the way a HP computer handles usb ports?
--
John VA3JQ Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada

jdow

Knowing the history of the dongle would be helpful. Have you tried to update it? Was the update reported to be successful?

Knowing the history if the computer may help. (If it is a corporate machine the corporation may have it locked down to prevent things like installing dongles.) Is it running Windows pro or Windows home? Is it running Win 10 or something else?

A smorgasbord of information about your machine, dongle, and failure messages can help. A paucity of information leads to head scratching and "Uh, gee, I don't know how to solve your problem."

Run
dmesg -w

When it stops scrolling plug in the dongle.
More messages will appear that tell you about the dongle.
^C to get out of dmesg.

You should expect to see these numbers appear:
1D50 and 60A1

If they appear AirSpy should work. In any case report what appears here.

DO NOT PLAY WITH ZADIG UNTIL TOLD TO.
DO NOT PLAY WITH ZADIG UNTIL TOLD TO.
DO NOT PLAY WITH ZADIG UNTIL TOLD TO.

I tell you three times so it must be true.

{^_^}

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:19 AM <fudge@... <mailto:fudge@...>> wrote:
Using plug and play, Win10 system does not recognize AirSpy R2 device. Does
not appear under Device Manager "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as
AIRSPY. I have tried all the fixes found on this site with no joy. *This is
driving me nuts*. The presence of a new device is not recognized by the
operating system. There does not appear to be a piece of software available
to initially detect the presence of the dongle. My computer is a HP Slimline
Desktop PC270. The unit does work with a generic no name type computer
running Win10.
Could there be something unique about the way a HP computer handles usb ports?
--
John VA3JQ Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada

Jerry Newsome

Use the USB 2.0 ports on the back under the Ethernet or NIC connection.
See it that works
Have had issues where R2 would not be detected on USB 3.0

fudge@...

I have tried most of the suggestions offered on this thread. I tried another cable, both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports and Linux Mint 19 "Tara" - Cinnamon (64-bit)

No joy. Of course, the Linux distro did not work. I plan to get drunk tonight then tomorrow load a non HP generic version of Win10 without all the crapware. The big flush. Perhaps there is a place in purgatory where all bad software types spend eternity with Bill Gates in a pool of boiling excrement.

Wish me luck and thanks to you all.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
John VA3JQ Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada

MadMike

Hi John,

FYI, the Airspy appears under 'Universal Serial Bus devices' and not "Universal Serial Bus controllers' as you mentioned in your earlier post. With Windows 10, it should just be a case of plugging it in, it seems to work fine on all my PCs without any need to install anything.

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia