Topics

Airspy Mini and C-Band Inmarsat Aero Messages #hardware #sdrsharp

Mike Jackson

I'm considering the cost of setting up a C-Band collection point to decode CPDLC messages off the Inmarsat satellites at C-Band.

If I were to use an appropriate size dish and a C-Band LNB such as the Titanium type can I connect that LNB directly to an Airspy Mini receiver and view the signals at L-Band frequencies?

Any other guidance won't go without appreciation.

prog

Edited

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 07:35 AM, Mike Jackson wrote:
I'm considering the cost of setting up a C-Band collection point to decode CPDLC messages off the Inmarsat satellites at C-Band.

If I were to use an appropriate size dish and a C-Band LNB such as the Titanium type can I connect that LNB directly to an Airspy Mini receiver and view the signals at L-Band frequencies?

Any other guidance won't go without appreciation.
The LNB you linked has 60 dB of conversion gain with the IF falling right in the range of the R2 and the Mini.
The Mini or R2 should work fine if you add an external bias-tee. A cheap satellite power inserter can do the job.

Chris van Lint

On 11/09/2019 12:19, Mike Jackson wrote:
I'm considering the cost of setting up a C-Band collection point to decode CPDLC messages off the Inmarsat satellites at C-Band.

If I were to use an appropriate size dish and a C-Band LNB such as the Titanium type can I connect that LNB directly to an Airspy Mini receiver and view the signals at L-Band frequencies?

Any other guidance won't go without appreciation.

Mike Jackson

Aah, poering the LNB, that's what I missed, thank you, I'll look into the voltage inserted.