Topics

Airspy HF+ spare cable

Philippe Nicolas

Hello

Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?

Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

Thanks

Best regards

Philippe

jdow

Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work. Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.

{^_^}

On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
Hello
Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Thanks
Best regards
Philippe

Philippe Nicolas

Indeed original cable is hard to find !

airspy.us sells them but shipping to France is expensive for just one or two 2 cables.
itead.cc dot not sell them…

Keep looking

On 25 Jun 2020, at 17:28, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:

Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work. Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.

{^_^}

On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
Hello
Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Thanks
Best regards
Philippe

Phil EVG

https://www.bonito.net/hamradio/warum-sogar-gute-antennen-gute-koaxkabel-brauchen-update-2019/   Why even good antennas need good coax cables these days ... Update 2019

Welcome to the all new Airspy.US website!
|CONTACT US SHIPPING INFO WARRANTY INFO WISHLIST MY ACCOUNT LOGINREGISTER
FAQSFEEDBACKPLUGINS [SDR1]CARTCHECKOUT
HomeProductsAntennas & Feedlines, Feedlines
RG6 feedline (Black) with F connectors
$2.65 – $27.95
RG6 Quad Shield Cable – Black Jacket
F connectors on each end
Factory spec coverage to 3 GHz.
UL approved
Note: 75 ohm cable, but works fine for RX
50 foot length cables always ship immediately
Other length cables are now available (2 day lead time, but we will try for std time)
If you need a more exact length, contact us.
Length 20   $7.20  SKU: RG6-B-F-20
Categories: Antennas & Feedlines, Feedlines
Tags: accessories, black, Cable, coax, F, feedline, RG6
Length 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 35, 50, 75, 100
BNC to SMA Pigtail – 12  $9.95  20 %
YouLoop HF loop antenna  $39.95 $29.95  7 %
About Us    © 2016-2019 Airspy.US  Welcome to the all new Airspy.US website!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work. Ideally you
want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.

{^_^}

On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
> Hello
>
> Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
>
> Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>
> Thanks
>
> Best regards
>
> Philippe

Phil EVG

Also, add some noise-reducing Common Mode Chokes

Common Mode Chokes/Galvanic Isolators: RFI Noise Reduction in Coaxial Cable Antenna Down lead and other cables near/ around the Radio.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 9:55 AM Phil EVG <phil@...> wrote:
https://www.bonito.net/hamradio/warum-sogar-gute-antennen-gute-koaxkabel-brauchen-update-2019/   Why even good antennas need good coax cables these days ... Update 2019

Welcome to the all new Airspy.US website!
|CONTACT US SHIPPING INFO WARRANTY INFO WISHLIST MY ACCOUNT LOGINREGISTER
FAQSFEEDBACKPLUGINS [SDR1]CARTCHECKOUT
HomeProductsAntennas & Feedlines, Feedlines
RG6 feedline (Black) with F connectors
$2.65 – $27.95
RG6 Quad Shield Cable – Black Jacket
F connectors on each end
Factory spec coverage to 3 GHz.
UL approved
Note: 75 ohm cable, but works fine for RX
50 foot length cables always ship immediately
Other length cables are now available (2 day lead time, but we will try for std time)
If you need a more exact length, contact us.
Length 20   $7.20  SKU: RG6-B-F-20
Categories: Antennas & Feedlines, Feedlines
Tags: accessories, black, Cable, coax, F, feedline, RG6
Length 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 35, 50, 75, 100
BNC to SMA Pigtail – 12  $9.95  20 %
YouLoop HF loop antenna  $39.95 $29.95  7 %
About Us    © 2016-2019 Airspy.US  Welcome to the all new Airspy.US website!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work. Ideally you
want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.

{^_^}

On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
> Hello
>
> Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
>
> Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>
> Thanks
>
> Best regards
>
> Philippe

Airspy US

As you mentioned, we sell them (Western Hemisphere only)

So does ITEAD: <<https://www.itead.cc/high-quality-micro-usb-cable-with-magnet-ring.html>>

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

On 6/25/2020 12:55 PM, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
Indeed original cable is hard to find !

airspy.us <http://airspy.us> sells them but shipping to France is expensive for just one or two 2 cables.
itead.cc <http://itead.cc> dot not sell them…

Keep looking

On 25 Jun 2020, at 17:28, jdow <jdow@... <mailto:jdow@...>> wrote:

Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work. Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.

{^_^}

On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
Hello
Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Thanks
Best regards
Philippe

Philippe Nicolas

Thank you very much, I did not find them on itead.cc…!

On 25 Jun 2020, at 19:57, Airspy US via groups.io <airspy_us=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Brian Gregory

Ferrites where the cable just passes through once have very little effect at HF frequencies.

So don't worry much about finding a cable with ferrites, or adding ferrites to a more standard cable.

When I've actually had a problem with HF interference coming down the USB cable a big ferrite toroid with 8 turns of USB cable through it made only a slight difference.

Brian Gregory.
@BrianG61UK
www.Brian-Gregory.me.uk
(Home)

On 25/06/2020 16:28, jdow wrote:
Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work. Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.

{^_^}

On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
Hello

Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?

Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

Thanks

Best regards

Philippe

Jordan Dobrikin

Hi

" Every litter bit helps"

Thanx
73 de Jordan ve7jjd

On 25/06/2020 16:28, jdow wrote:
> Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work.
> Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.
>
> {^_^}
>
> On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for
>> my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
>>
>> Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb
>> 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Philippe

h. garcia

Hi Brian. Are you still fighting USB noise? Have you identified any approaches that seem mitigate it?

I suspect I have a USB noise issue, though I haven't made yet an in-depth investigation. So far, the only way I had AirSpy Discovery useable on MW was using an antenna 2-winding coil over a large cardboard box. I have the Youloop, but it's picking up too much noise.

On 25/06/2020 16:28, jdow wrote:
> Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work.
> Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.
>
> {^_^}
>
> On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for
>> my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
>>
>> Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb
>> 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Philippe

andrea ottaviani

Error 404

Whoops, Loos like this page doesn't exist.

The page you requested was not found, and we have a fine guess why.

Brian Gregory

I was lucky. I got a new laptop computer and as long as I use one of the USB ports on the left hand side there isn't much USB noise. For even lower noise I operate off battery without AC power connected.

On 25/06/2020 16:28, jdow wrote:
> Amazon, NewEgg, even Best Buy probably has a cable that will work.
> Ideally you want one with ferrites on it. But, you can add your own.
>
> {^_^}
>
> On 20200625 02:22:14, Philippe Nicolas wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Do you know where I could buy good spare cables (or original one) for
>> my Airspy HF+ Discovery ?
>>
>> Raspberry lost the Discovery with this message in Dmesg : usb
>> 1-1.1.2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Philippe

LArcoraci

Good morning,

I bought a new USB 2.0 audio cable with an exclusive conductor geometry that uses dense multi-layer shields on each signal pair to provide extreme immunity to external noise and interference and isolated power. The led of my Airspy HF+ is on but I cannot see the radio on windows devices.

Is the audio cable a wrong choice for SDR radios?

Thanks,
Luca

Alan G4ZFQ

I bought a new USB 2.0 audio cable with an exclusive conductor geometry that uses dense multi-layer shields on each signal pair to provide Is the audio cable a wrong choice for SDR radios?
Luca,

It looks as if it should work.
But does it work with the original or another cable?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

David J Taylor

Good morning,

I bought a new USB 2.0 audio cable with an exclusive conductor geometry that uses dense multi-layer shields on each signal pair to provide extreme immunity to external noise and interference and isolated power. The led of my Airspy HF+ is on but I cannot see the radio on windows devices.

Is the audio cable a wrong choice for SDR radios?

Thanks,
Luca
================================

Luca,

Basically, any USB cable (with both power and data leads) should work. Of course, if the cable is long, better to have thicker power conductors, and RF chokes on the cable may help with locally generated RF interference. 5m is the maximum length IIRC.

There should be no need for any special driver installation.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

LArcoraci

Thank you for replying,

the new USB 2.0 cable is a 0.6 m flat cable.
Fortunately I have a second Airspy HF+ unit to test with it and it works...I don't know why the first unit doesn't work with this cable.

Luca

--
INGV - Roma
06-51860683

David J Taylor

Thank you for replying,

the new USB 2.0 cable is a 0.6 m flat cable.
Fortunately I have a second Airspy HF+ unit to test with it and it works...I don't know why the first unit doesn't work with this cable.

Luca
=======================================

Luca,

Well, that's short enough, although I tend to look on flat cables as not providing the same screening against radiating interference as round cables [with a shield).

One working and the other not suggests to me either

- too much RF input blowing the front-end (when it might work but receive nothing)
or
- the wrong firmware (which should only be if you've tried to burn the firmware yourself). You know there are two different firmware versions, I suppose? I understand that simply blowing the wrong firmware doesn't damage the device.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Brian Gregory

<<< exclusive conductor geometry that uses dense multi-layer shields on each signal pair to provide extreme immunity to external noise and interference and isolated power >>>

This sounds like total bull***t intended to sell ludicrously overpriced cables to suckers.

Brian Gregory.
@BrianG61UK
www.Brian-Gregory.me.uk
(Home)

On 15/07/2020 10:29, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
[...]

The little microUSB connectors are very fragile and easy to get misaligned or broken.

{^_^}

Email: david-taylor@... <mailto:david-taylor@...>
Twitter: @gm8arv
--
INGV - Roma
06-51860683

LArcoraci

OK,

I have two Airspy HF+ dual units and one Discovery.
This morning I finished testing the new USB flat cable with the Discovery and everything is ok.

The problem remains only for one of the two HF+ dual devices. In this case I have to use the old USB cable.
However there are not significant differences between the two USB cables except from some interferences close to Lw band (in attachment two examples for the old and the new USB cable).

Thank you.

Luca