Topics

Airspy HF + Discovery with ExtIO on anything other than VHF FM

Kai

Hi Rein, hi list folks,

Rein, your comments about the RTL-SDR dongle vs Airspy sound similar to my experience but with the ExtIO DLL.

I'm trying to get the Airspy hardware to work on my GlobalTuners node (www.globaltuners.com), this websites config provides access to the ExtIO DLL. I've been trying to get this working for about a month with no success.

Using the ExtIO DLL for HF + Discovery
https://airspy.com/?ddownload=5552
I can only get the Airspy to behave on VHF FM, some VHF FM DXers love it, but it doesn't behave itself on AM, and it doesn't like anything on HF.

I thought I'd try the ExtIO DLL my Airpsy R2, and again with the Spyverter attached
https://airspy.com/?ddownload=5550
it doesn't want to work at all.

I'll take a guess that not many people are using the same config as I am with GlobalTuners and ExtIO plugin, the ExtIO plugin looks to have limited configuration options to test and verify.

Since I'm not having much success with the ExtIO plugin I thought I'd try the Airspy directory
https://airspy.com/directory
but so far trying it on Win10 and Ubuntu Linux I still can't get it to work, I have confirmed ports are open, port forwarding is active and confirmed my ISP is not blocking ports but still can't get a "green" status indicator on the directory, I can only ever get "orange".

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers
Kai - VK6KSJ
Broome, Australia

On 8/1/20 2:31 pm, rein0zn@... wrote:
Hello Simon,
Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.
I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first. As soon as I had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.
Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device ( Airsy etc ) So how did you get it to connect to GQRX?
It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using 2,11,  I think.
The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?
I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to connect. Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.
Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F + Discovery.
73 Rein W6SZ

jdow

Find the author of the ExtIO plugin for AirSpy HF+ and suggest he has a problem. This sounds like a very odd deficiency in either the ExtIO dll or the organic unit between the screen and the keyboard driving HF+ improperly. (Do leave it's AGC on, for example.)

{^_^}

On 8/1/20 2:31 pm, rein0zn@... wrote:
Hello Simon,

Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.

I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first. As soon as I had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.

Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device ( Airsy etc ) So how did you get it to connect to GQRX?

It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using 2,11,  I think.

The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?

I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to connect. Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.

Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F + Discovery.

73 Rein W6SZ

Kai

If I did contact the author it wouldn't be on the basis that their file has a problem, instead I'd be asking if they're able to provide any feedback.

You mention "the organic" unit, you mean PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair, ie user error, this is possible however there doesn't look like much available documentation and the GUI (screenshot attached) is just as scarce for options.

Any assistance you may be able to provide is appreciated.

On 8/1/20 2:31 pm, rein0zn@... wrote:
Hello Simon,

Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.

I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first. As soon as I had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.

Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device ( Airsy etc ) So how did you get it to connect to GQRX?

It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using 2,11,  I think.

The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?

I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to connect. Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.

Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F + Discovery.

73 Rein W6SZ

jdow

I can't offer much help myself. I don't touch ExtIO. I might if motivated by a personal need and possession of source code to fix.

{^_^}

On 8/1/20 2:31 pm, rein0zn@... wrote:
Hello Simon,

Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.

I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first. As soon as I had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.

Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device ( Airsy etc ) So how did you get it to connect to GQRX?

It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using 2,11,  I think.

The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?

I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to connect. Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.

Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F + Discovery.

73 Rein W6SZ

ExtIO-HF-Win10-AvailableOptions1.png

EB4APL

Did you tried to use the same ExtIO with other program, such as HDSDR? If it works (here it do) then you know that the hardware is ok and the ExtIO is working correctly, so probably you have a problem with your node configuration, or the node program have a problem..

Ignacio EB4APL

On 9/1/20 10:21 am, jdow wrote:
[...]

Andrea IW0HDV

Just for information, the source code of that dll has been available on github  here since its inception

It can be downloaded even without git software installed.

That should be clear just following the link found on official airpsy web site.

Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 10:20 jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
Find the author of the ExtIO plugin for AirSpy HF+ and suggest he has a problem.
This sounds like a very odd deficiency in either the ExtIO dll or the organic
unit between the screen and the keyboard driving HF+ improperly. (Do leave it's
AGC on, for example.)

{^_^}

On 20200108 14:17:52, Kai wrote:
> Hi Rein, hi list folks,
>
> Rein, your comments about the RTL-SDR dongle vs Airspy sound similar to my
> experience but with the ExtIO DLL.
>
> I'm trying to get the Airspy hardware to work on my GlobalTuners node
> (www.globaltuners.com), this websites config provides access to the ExtIO DLL.
> I've been trying to get this working for about a month with no success.
>
> Using the ExtIO DLL for HF + Discovery
> https://airspy.com/?ddownload=5552
> I can only get the Airspy to behave on VHF FM, some VHF FM DXers love it, but it
> doesn't behave itself on AM, and it doesn't like anything on HF.
>
> I thought I'd try the ExtIO DLL my Airpsy R2, and again with the Spyverter attached
> https://airspy.com/?ddownload=5550
> it doesn't want to work at all.
>
> I'll take a guess that not many people are using the same config as I am with
> GlobalTuners and ExtIO plugin, the ExtIO plugin looks to have limited
> configuration options to test and verify.
>
> Since I'm not having much success with the ExtIO plugin I thought I'd try the
> Airspy directory
> https://airspy.com/directory
> but so far trying it on Win10 and Ubuntu Linux I still can't get it to work, I
> have confirmed ports are open, port forwarding is active and confirmed my ISP is
> not blocking ports but still can't get a "green" status indicator on the
> directory, I can only ever get "orange".
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Kai - VK6KSJ
> Broome, Australia
>
> On 8/1/20 2:31 pm, rein0zn@... wrote:
>> Hello Simon,
>>
>> Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.
>>
>> I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first. As soon as I
>> had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.
>>
>> Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device ( Airsy etc ) So
>> how did you get it to connect to GQRX?
>>
>> It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using 2,11,  I think.
>>
>> The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?
>>
>> I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to connect.
>> Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.
>>
>> Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F + Discovery.
>>
>> 73 Rein W6SZ

Andrea IW0HDV

If you think there is any issue with Extio module I wrote, please create a bug here

https://github.com/IW0HDV/extio-iw0hdv/issues

attach to the issue the log file produced after Extio has been run (it is found on the current directory of the program using the dll).

Ciao

*am*

Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv (ex FAI10655) http://www.montefusco.com
tel: +393356992791

Kai

Hi Andrea, than you for the feedback.

I am not a programmer, and was not suggesting a bug in the DLL, the inference about a bug was suggested by someone else.

Thank you for creating the .dll's, the HF Plus .dll is bringing many hours of listening pleasure with my HF + Discovery to the VHF FM DX'ers who use my node (Broome, Western Australia) on globaltuners.com

The .dll works brilliantly on VHF FM, I am now trying to achieve the same brilliance on AM band, and on HF part of the spectrum.

I have no current success getting my HF + Discovery nor my R2 working with Airspy's "spyserver", but globaltuners has a settings which allows access to external .dll's to use Airspy's excellent features. this access is provided by the .dll's you have kindly created.

I am not emailing to be negative or criticise, I am only seeking advice/tips if the interface I'm seeing when using the .dll is correct (screenshot previously attached, but reattached for convenience) and what the preferred configuration is for those settings?

Thank you for any assistance you're able to provide.

wrote:
>> Hello Simon,
>>
>> Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.
>>
>> I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first.
As soon as I
>> had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.
>>
>> Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device (
Airsy etc ) So
>> how did you get it to connect to GQRX?
>>
>> It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using
2,11,  I think.

>> The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?
>>
>> I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to
connect.
>> Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.
>>
>> Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F +
Discovery.

>> 73 Rein W6SZ

jdow

I know. Shows you how motivated I am.
{^_-}

On 20200109 23:03:14, Andrea IW0HDV wrote:
> [...]
> Kai - VK6KSJ
> Broome, Australia
>
> On 8/1/20 2:31 pm, rein0zn@... <mailto:rein0zn@...> wrote:
>> Hello Simon,
>>
>> Thanks info re Raspberry Pi 4.
>>
>> I installed it and decided to try with a RTL-SDR dongle first. As soon as I
>> had selected the type device,  I had sound and it was working fine.
>>
>> Using the Airspy + Discovery,  I could not locate the device ( Airsy etc
) So
>> how did you get it to connect to GQRX?
>>
>> It might be having to do with the version of GQRX?    was using 2,11,  I
think.

>> The latest version is 2.15 or so. Is that the secret?
>>
>> I have the radio now for 4 weeks and still not having able to to connect.
>> Never experienced that kind of problems with basics.
>>
>> Airspy .com  mentions Gqrx as software working with the H F + Discovery.

Andrea IW0HDV

Kai,
If my extio dll is working well together with globaltuner sdr software on VHF, it should work even on other bands, at least for what concerns the information technology side.
Indeed, the DLL  "knows" nothing about the band where it is listening: it is just sending to the hardware the number representing the rx  frequency and getting sample values.