Topics

Airspy HF+

Chris Hughes <chughes@...>

Hello everyone, I have just acquired an airspy HF+ which has two ports on it and a usb connection.
i purchased it from the widow of a gentleman who passed away and it came with no box etc ,including the original usb cable. Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows 10), I would welcome any hints or tips please to get the unit running .
BeSt wishes. Chris GW0DQW

Mike Millen

First I would try yet another USB cable, Chris.

Some of them are designed for charging only and may not have the data lines connected.

Mike - M0MLM

On 29/12/2019 03:06, Chris Hughes wrote:
Hello everyone, I have just acquired an airspy HF+ which has two ports on it and a usb connection.
i purchased it from the widow of a gentleman who passed away and it came with no box etc ,including the original usb cable. Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows 10), I would welcome any hints or tips please to get the unit running .
BeSt wishes. Chris GW0DQW

Alan G4ZFQ

Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows
Chris,

I guess any good cable should work.
I do not see my Airspy in Device manager, it must be there but not obvious. I used USBTree, see it now under USB Devices.
Have you tried the compatibility driver?
Other than that I presume it does not work in SDR#? Sorry if you already use it.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan Brown

Did you try this, see link

https://airspy.com/quickstart/

VA3AQB ūüá®ūüᶬ†
Alan

Greg Ella

Hi Chris,

Some of the mini and micro USB cables are charger only cables, and don't have data lines.
Use your cable to connect a cell phone to a computer.  If you can download pictures through the cable, it is a data cable.
Otherwise, it may not be.

The original cable also had ferrite chokes near each end, which help reduce noise.

Greg Ella
N0EMP

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 7:06 AM Chris Hughes <chughes@...> wrote:
Hello everyone, I have just acquired an airspy HF+ which has two ports on it and a usb connection.
i purchased it from the widow of a gentleman who passed away and it came with no box etc ,including the original usb cable. Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows 10), I would welcome any hints or tips please to get the unit running .
BeSt wishes. Chris GW0DQW

jdow

On 20191229 06:43:58, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows
 Chris,
I guess any good cable should work.
I do not see my Airspy in Device manager, it must be there but not obvious. I used USBTree, see it now under USB Devices.
Have you tried the compatibility driver?
Other than that I presume it does not work in SDR#? Sorry if you already use it.
73 Alan G4ZFQ
It is under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" and rather hard to miss.
{^_^}

Alan G4ZFQ

It is under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" and rather hard to miss.
{^_^}
Joanne,
I obviously try too hard!
Alan

Kriss Kliegle

Open Device Manager

The AirspyHF+ appears under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

It's a plug n play device, so the time required for W10 to load drivers is minimal. No action required by operator, no copying and pasting, running Zadig, etc.
It just works!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Brian Gregory

On my PCs it shows as "WinUsb Device" in the "Universal Serial Bus Devices" section.
So I'd say it's easy to miss since there's nothing to say it's an Airspy or an SDR or anything to help you recognise it.

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 at 11:19, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
On 20191229 06:43:58, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
>> Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led
>> comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows
>
>   Chris,
>
> I guess any good cable should work.
> I do not see my Airspy in Device manager, it must be there but not obvious. I
> used USBTree, see it now under USB Devices.
> Have you tried the compatibility driver?
> Other than that I presume it does not work in SDR#? Sorry if you already use it.
>
> 73 Alan G4ZFQ

It is under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" and rather hard to miss.
{^_^}

Mike Millen

It may depend on the version of windows you're running.

When I had W7 running on this machine it showed up as WinUSB device.

After I changed to W10 it now shows up as Airspy HF+

Mike - M0MLM

On 20191230 03:57:34, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
It is under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" and rather hard to miss.
{^_^}
Joanne,
I obviously try too hard!
Alan
Trying to find love in all the wrong places.

{^_-}

jdow

You used Zadig or something?
{o.o}

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 at 11:19, jdow <jdow@... <mailto:jdow@...>> wrote:
On 20191229 06:43:58, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
>> Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led
>> comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager
(windows

>   Chris,
>
> I guess any good cable should work.
> I do not see my Airspy in Device manager, it must be there but not
obvious. I
> used USBTree, see it now under USB Devices.
> Have you tried the compatibility driver?
> Other than that I presume it does not work in SDR#? Sorry if you already
use it.

> 73 Alan G4ZFQ
It is under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" and rather hard to miss.
Brian Gregory.
@BrianG61UK <mailto:@BrianG61UK>
www.Brian-Gregory.me.uk <http://www.Brian-Gregory.me.uk/>

Alan G4ZFQ

You used Z..
There have been two occasions that my Airspy HF+ was not seen. I had to use the WinUSB compatibility driver.
I did not try Z.. but WinUSB is an option..

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Brian Gregory

Ah. I didn't know it showed better in Windows 10.

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 10:52, Mike Millen <mike.millen.uk@...> wrote:
It may depend on the version of windows you're running.

When I had W7 running on this machine it showed up as WinUSB device.

After I changed to W10 it now shows up as Airspy HF+

Mike - M0MLM

On 30/12/2019 18:23, Brian Gregory wrote:
On my PCs it shows as "WinUsb Device" in the "Universal Serial Bus Devices" section.
So I'd say it's easy to miss since there's nothing to say it's an Airspy or an SDR or anything to help you recognise it.

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 at 11:19, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
On 20191229 06:43:58, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
>> Is this cable essential as I am using another cable and the airspy unit led
>> comes on and nothing else, I am not seeing the unit in device manager (windows

Chris Hughes <chughes@...>

May I thank all those who took the trouble to email me with my issues of connecting my Airspy HF+.

Only today due to Christmas delays have I have obtained the correct data lead , I plugged the cable in and straight away Sharp# fired up show serial number etc.

All I have to do now is learn the software .

Many thanks all.

Happy New Year

Chris

GW0DQW

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

reiin0zn@...

Hello Alan,

Hoping you can give me a hand.

Have an airspy HF + Discovery,  ( I call it NN )

Believe you have or had the same problems as I do.   Raspi 4B 4 G

Unit arrived, tried to run it with `Linrad, Leif SM5BSZ has video’s on YouTube running NN’s in measurements
linrad has a call it driver for NN ( new I think ) as it has for other radio’s etc.
I tried Linrad first with NN , Linrad did not detect  NN , If I select  YY everything working.       YY  stands for RTL-SDR’s

OK let’s try GQRX  also on Raspi,   In short YY detected OK , running OK
No NN detected.

Took me a long time to find SDR#, now SDRSharp , found it in the end at Airspy Downloads with a hidden no name push button!
SDR# used to be all over the internet 10 years ago ( previous Versions )o

OK SDRSharp for windows,  Had in use 3 window7 machines ,  now all updated to Windows 10. 9 Jan 14 2020 )

Results ;  UNKNOWN  USB driver etc , not working device , etc.

Whatever is happening why is therefore the XX DOWNLOAD , a special driver. .INF. file  I think just to be used for XX , not sure though.

Was instructed, did read at Microsoft about drivers etc etc

`Driver search at MS results in best driver according to them,  using MS device Manager,  the USB info varies with XX connector in/out
of computer,

This dedicated question and answer discussion group is full of questions about drivers and all.

My main question is ;

1    Am I doing something wrong in the manual driver update per MS instructions and if so what?

2.   What is happening in case that a chip in the XX is not working?

3.  Win7 and Win10 telling me that we are dealing with an USB device and the by ``MS selected from their drivers is the best they can locate.

4.  At the same time they report a not working situation. `How come?

It seems to me that many users of XX in the end are getting XX to work in spite of problems in the beginning.

My point is , is it software or XX ?

Please inputs on this.  In particular the manual selection of  drivers using device manager.

Any suggestions please.

Wrong driver or returning the unit before the 1 year has passed.?

73 Rein `W6SZ

Alan G4ZFQ

1    Am I doing something wrong in the manual driver update per MS instructions and if so what?
3.  Win7 and Win10 telling me that we are dealing with an USB device and the by ``MS selected from their drivers is the best they can locate.

Rein,

I can only comment on Windows.

https://airspy.com/quickstart/ tells you how to tell Windows what driver to use. It is not obvious that this page also refers to the HF+.

Do not ask Windows to find a driver. Do as it says and use the .inf file.

I do agree that the instructions on the Airspy pages are not simple enough for people unfamiliar with the workings of Windows. Nor for beginners are they particularly easy to find.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

If you don't try to make it an instant gratification or try to prove it takes a computer genius AirSpy HF+ installs just fine on Windows 7 and Windows 10. In fact in response to Rein's messages I plugged an AirSpy HF+ Discovery into an up to date Windows 7 machine. It tossed up an "I'm thinking deeply so don't think I've failed already" message box. I left it alone. After a little while, a couple minutes or so, the idiot MS software finally showed the savant part of idiot savant and announced it was installed, in its online and on machine search it had found the driver, part of Windows OS no less, that works. I confirmed it bringing up a quickie SDRSharp instance.

Expect failures if you do not give Windows the ridiculous amounts of time it sometimes requires before installing a driver. And for gosh sake no matter what let Windows either declare an official success or an official failure. THEN and ONLY THEN, if it failed do a manual intervention of one sort or another.

The only thing difficult in this case was sitting there longer than seemed reasonable letting the machine fumble around. Don't make it difficult when it is not. And when you DO prematurely intervene, babbling about broken hardware and the like is not going to solve your problem.

I guess for people not familiar with Windows the instructions should include three more steps: Wait. Wait some more. Repeat until Windows declares it is done.

That is ALSO what SHOULD be done with rtlsdr dongles. That way if Windows finds a driver you "officially" replace it. That seems to have a nice side effect that when the driver Windows eventually found is updated, it is not updated on your machine displacing your working Zadig installation.

Above all wait. The two minute or so wait I had was on a 2015 era barnburner machine. Wait, wait again, repeat.

{O.O}

On 20200109 22:43:31, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:

1    Am I doing something wrong in the manual driver update per MS instructions and if so what?
3.  Win7 and Win10 telling me that we are dealing with an USB device and the by ``MS selected from their drivers is the best they can locate.
Rein,
I can only comment on Windows.
https://airspy.com/quickstart/ tells you how to tell Windows what driver to use. It is not obvious that this page also refers to the HF+.
Do not ask Windows to find a driver. Do as it says and use the .inf file.
I do agree that the instructions on the Airspy pages are not simple enough for people unfamiliar with the workings of Windows. Nor for beginners are they particularly easy to find.
73 Alan G4ZFQ

john ashe

Good one, jdow. Must wait - I think we got that now!

John