Accessibility.

Gabriele Battaglia <iz4apu@...>

Hello.

I'm totally blind and would like to try an RTL-SDR device.

I heard about a Screen Reader plugin but I'm not able to find it, probably it's abandonware.

Is there other possible way to get the software accessible?

In a short way: I can't use a normal Graphic interface, where you have to point and click.

But it would be great all which is a command line, like a tool from the console. Or, a GUI could be also ok if it would provide keyboard shortcuts for every object it contains and accessible input text field.

It would be wonderful if someone can develop such plugin or point me to the right direction to find one.

Thanks a lot.

Gabe.

--
--... ...-- -.. . .. --.. ....- .- .--. ..- - ..- . .
Sent from TB on Windows 10, Genus Bononiae's computer.

Hello I am also blind

ed mcdonald is the person who has developed a screen reader plugin fore the sdr sharp software I am trying to get the plugin from him he was supposed to send it to me and I never heard back

he is on the list

I am in the same boat you are in

I also have a rtl sdr

and with out the plugin you won't be able to use it

I tried tons of other sdr software on windows with different screen readers and have not been able to get any of them to work

thus far the only way I am aware of to get the rtl sdr to work with a screen reader is to use the plugin that ed wrote with the sdr sharp software

ithanks

Hank

On 11/25/2021 12:46 AM, Gabriele Battaglia via groups.io wrote:
Hello.

I'm totally blind and would like to try an RTL-SDR device.

I heard about a Screen Reader plugin but I'm not able to find it, probably it's abandonware.

Is there other possible way to get the software accessible?

In a short way: I can't use a normal Graphic interface, where you have to point and click.

But it would be great all which is a command line, like a tool from the console. Or, a GUI could be also ok if it would provide keyboard shortcuts for every object it contains and accessible input text field.

It would be wonderful if someone can develop such plugin or point me to the right direction to find one.

Thanks a lot.

Gabe.

6vc8

The plugin dates from over a year ago and might not work with newer versions of sdrsharp. Wasn't too hard to find online. I don't use it and have not tested it with ANY version sdrsharp
Version 1.1, scanned for nasties and then uploaded to we transfer:

https://we.tl/t-2L2VNG55w7

Ron, N6YWU

Hi,

I am looking for a blind SWL or amateur radio operator who uses an iPhone with VoiceOver.
My current iPhone app, rtl_tcp SDR, which I have developed, available from the App store, supports using an Airspy HF+ or an RTL-SDR via an hfp_tcp or rtl_tcp server (not a spy server).
I would like to understand how a blind operator might like to operate an SDR from an iPhone or iPad, so that I can prioritize adding and testing various visual accessibility features in my iPhone SDR app.

Thanks,
Ron
n6ywu

Gabriele Battaglia <iz4apu@...>

Hi all and thanks for info. Ron, I'm IZ4IZ4APU, and I use an iPhone12 pro max with Voiceover. If I can be useful for you, feel free to reach me out of list. Best 73, Gabe.

--
Sent from starship Gabryphone 12ProMax
    Captain Battaglia.

Il giorno 26 nov 2021, alle ore 19:44, Ron, N6YWU <ron.nicholson@...> ha scritto:

Hi,

I am looking for a blind SWL or amateur radio operator who uses an iPhone with VoiceOver.
My current iPhone app, rtl_tcp SDR, which I have developed, available from the App store, supports using an Airspy HF+ or an RTL-SDR via an hfp_tcp or rtl_tcp server (not a spy server).
I would like to understand how a blind operator might like to operate an SDR from an iPhone or iPad, so that I can prioritize adding and testing various visual accessibility features in my iPhone SDR app.

Thanks,
Ron
n6ywu

Edward MacDonald

The older versions absolutely will not work with any of the new .NET 5 versions of SDR#.

I have the BETA version of tye new accessibility plug-in ready. I have had higher priority matters to take care of for the past few months. Sorry for the delay.

I will post the download link for the BETA tonight here around midnight GMT -6.

Hank...

I could not get licensing for the JAWS dll interface. The plug-in WILL work with the JAWS screen reader, but you will need to copy and paste the required dll manually from inside of the JAWS folder and paste it into the plug-in folder for SDR#.

I can provide some instructions for you if required.

The plug-in will also interface with NVDA, Dolphin,icrosoft screen reader etc. It will work with both speech and Vraille readers (when available)

Some things - such as direct frequency entry and the audible power meter are stoll in progress.

On Fri., Nov. 26, 2021, 2:38 p.m. Gabriele Battaglia via groups.io, <iz4apu=libero.it@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hello thanks fore getting this to me.

Hank

On 11/26/2021 1:38 AM, 6vc8 wrote:
The plugin dates from over a year ago and might not work with newer versions of sdrsharp. Wasn't too hard to find online. I don't use it and have not tested it with ANY version sdrsharp
Version 1.1, scanned for nasties and then uploaded to we transfer:

https://we.tl/t-2L2VNG55w7

Hello I am a blind iphone user I have a iphone se 2020 running latest ios and use voice over.

send me the links I will give it a try

Hank

On 11/26/2021 11:44 AM, Ron, N6YWU wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a blind SWL or amateur radio operator who uses an iPhone with VoiceOver.
My current iPhone app, rtl_tcp SDR, which I have developed, available from the App store, supports using an Airspy HF+ or an RTL-SDR via an hfp_tcp or rtl_tcp server (not a spy server).
I would like to understand how a blind operator might like to operate an SDR from an iPhone or iPad, so that I can prioritize adding and testing various visual accessibility features in my iPhone SDR app.

Thanks,
Ron
n6ywu

Hello

I will need the instructions fore the dll file

fore jaws.

thanks

Hank

On 11/26/2021 2:03 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
[...]

No problem. I will forward them after I post link tonight

On Fri., Nov. 26, 2021, 4:41 p.m. The Wolf, <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

did you post the link?

thanks

Hank

On 11/26/2021 3:49 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
[...]

 Getting it uploaded now actually. Give me a bot and O will post the link

On Sat., Nov. 27, 2021, 12:10 a.m. The Wolf, <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

Hank,

I sent you a link from my website to create a password for the profile I created for you. Once you have the password set, log into my website with the link that was sent and you will have access to the beta version of the accessibility plug-in.

Once you have downloaded the zip file from my site:

Uunzip it in it's root folder into the "Plugins" folder in your SDR# install

 Run SDR# and then plug-in should automatically load.

For beta testing, the plugin is enabled by default. This will not be the case in the release version.

The login responds to numerous preset keyboard shortcuts which I will post here shortly.

Please remember is is a beta. Glitches may be present, some features will not work fully.

If anyone else wants accessibility please let me know.

DO NOT redistribute the BETAS.

Once you have it setup let me know and I 2ill email you instructions on hot to get it to work with JAWS.

On Sat., Nov. 27, 2021, 12:41 a.m. Edward MacDonald via groups.io, <edwardmacdonald74=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Shortcut Keys for changing detector type:

A Key = Select  AM Detector
W Key = Select WFMDetector
N Key = Select NFM Detector
L Key =  LSB Detector
U Key =  USB Detector
D Key = DSB Detector
C Key =  CW Detector

Shortcuts for Toggling Functions Off or On :

S Key with Control Key = Toggle Frequency Shift
M Key = Toggle Audio Mute
P Key = Toggle Mark Peaks (Only useful to sighted users)
T Key = Toggle Time Markers (only useful to sighted users)
S Key = Toggle Squelch
F Key Toggle FM Stereo / Mono Mode
A Key with Control Key = Toggle AGC
N Key with Control Key = Toggle Anti Fade
L Key and Control Key =  Toggle Lock Carrier
G Key =  Toggle Frequency Snap To Grid (frequency step basically steps the frequency by a predetermined amount set by the "step value")
F Key with Control Key = Toggle Filter Audio
P Key with Control Key = Announce the SNR / Power Level

Ok, these next functions operate a bit differently.  There are several functions such as volume, panning, filter bandwidth, frequency and squelch which can be incremented or decremented. I  assigned the page up and page down key to increment and decrement those values.

Now, in order to allow the keys to control several functions, I create a MODE. There are keyboard shortcuts which change the mode. The current mode will be announced by the screen reader as you change it. Just remember, regardless of the mode, the page up and page down keys will change those values.  By default when the plugin is started it will default to FREQUENCY. However, if you change it, the plugin will remember what the last used function was and recall it the next time you load SDR#

Page Up Key = Increase Function Value
Page Down Key = Decrease Function Value

The functions are:

1 Key with Control Key =  Set Frequency adjust Mode
2 Key with Control Key =  Set Filter Bandwidth Adjust Mode
3 Key with Control Key = Set Squelch Adjust Mode
4 Key with Control Key =  Set Audio Volume Adjust Mode
5 Key with Control Key =  Set Audio Panning Adjust Mode
6 Key with Control Key = Set Frequency Step Adjust Mode
7 Key with Control Key = Set CW Shift Adjust Mode
8 Key with Control Key = Se tFrequency Shift Adjust Mode);

Now we have the Band switch selectors:

F1 Key = Set AM Band
F2 Key = Set FM Band
F3 Key = Set Air Band
F4 = Set CB Radio Band
F5 Key = Set Marine Band
F6 Key = Set Military Air Band
F7 Key  = Set 160 Meter  Band
F8 Key =  Set 80 Meter Band
F9 Key =  Set 60 Meter Band
F10 Key =  Set 40 Meter Band
F11 Key =  Set 20 Meter Band
F12 Key =  Set 17 Meter Band
F1 Key with Control Key =  Set 15 Meter Band
F2 Key with Control Key =    Set 12 Meter Band
F3 Key with Control Key =   Set 10 Meter Band
F4 Key with Control Key =   Set 6 Meter Band
F5 Key with Control Key =   Set 2 Meter Band
F6 Key with Control Key =   Set 70 Centimeter Band
F7 Key with Control Key =   Set 33 Centimeter Band
F8 Key with Control Key =   Set 23 Centimeter Band
F9 Key with Control Key =  Set 13 Centimeter Band

Future information will be included in the actual Zip file so we don't have to clog this system up with this type of info.

On Sat., Nov. 27, 2021, 2:13 a.m. Edward MacDonald via groups.io, <edwardmacdonald74=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hello I didn't receive the link to your website

can you resend it please?

thanks

Hank

On 11/27/2021 1:13 AM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
[...]

Sure. I am at work will send it when I get home in 3 hours. Sorry for the delay

On Sun., Nov. 28, 2021, 5:21 p.m. The Wolf, <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

sounds good send the link to this email adress

Hank

On 11/28/2021 4:56 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
[...]

Hello did you send the link?

I haven't received anything I also checked my spam folder.

[...]

I have not arrived home from work yet. Please have patience

On Sun., Nov. 28, 2021, 9:03 p.m. The Wolf, <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick

Hi Edward,

When will this long awaited plugin be available for other users ? I was more than happy with the 1st version, and at the time, we had exchanged a few private emails regarding some of his features
Thanks,

Patrick