Topics

Accessibility Plugin...Ideas...Comments...

Edward MacDonald

So, I have almost finished creating a new plugin which consolidate three separate plugins I have made into one plugin I call "Accessibility Control" because these three plugins all deal with accessibility of SDR#.

One plugin is also much easier to maintain than three separate ones. The plugin have been re-coded from scratch to make sure my code is as tightly coupled between different classes as possible and to reduce the file size.

I have created it so the On Screen Display, toolbar buttons, and keyboard shortcuts can all be enabled / disabled separately or work in unison with each other seamlessly.

In addition, The on screen display has adjustments for the text size, text brightness, and the dwell time (amount of time the on screen text is displayed before fading out).

The toolbar can be docked in the main SDR# toolbar window or floated in the undocked mode, this way if you have more than one instance of SDR# running you can drag the toolbars from each to wherever you want them ( or even to another monitor if you are using multi-monitor setups).

The toolbar button sets I have created so far are:

- Detector Buttons
 - Band Switch Buttons
 - Memory Bank Buttons (10 memory slots where you can instantly store and recall presets)
 - Filter Bandwidth Setting Control
 - Squelch Setting Controls
 - FFT Setting Controls
 - AGC Setting Controls
 - Digital / Analog Mode Controls
 - Analog SNR Meter (< I may remove this before the plugin is released)

All of the shortcuts and toolbar button actions are shown with the on screen display control. Pressing shortcut keys or pressing the toolbar buttons has the same exact end result.

While I do not currently have a license for the Telerik theme controls, I have made the plugin so the controls look as good as possible with the new SDR# themes.
While not the same as Telerik's controls (they are just the regular windows common controls) at least they look like they can co-exist in the same space and my plugin windows respond to theme changes.

My question for those of you interested is this:

What other features / functions would you like added to each of the above mentioned items?

I would like to make this plugin as useful as possible for everyone.

There a few items that were in the old toolbar which will not be appearing in the newer version (the reason why was mentioned in other thread posts) 

So, if there is some cool feature or setting I can add, I would like to incorporate it before I remove the original separate plugins from my website and replace it with this one. 

ALSO - This particular plugin will only be compatible with the NEWER THEMED VERSIONS of SDR# (inclusive of the .NET 4.6 and .NET 4.8 framework versions).

Sorry, but I WILL NOT be supporting my plugins from the older versions of SDR#. 

Thanks 

prog

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 09:14 AM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
So, I have almost finished creating a new plugin which consolidate three separate plugins I have made into one plugin I call "Accessibility Control" because these three plugins all deal with accessibility of SDR#.

One plugin is also much easier to maintain than three separate ones. The plugin have been re-coded from scratch to make sure my code is as tightly coupled between different classes as possible and to reduce the file size.

I have created it so the On Screen Display, toolbar buttons, and keyboard shortcuts can all be enabled / disabled separately or work in unison with each other seamlessly.

In addition, The on screen display has adjustments for the text size, text brightness, and the dwell time (amount of time the on screen text is displayed before fading out).

The toolbar can be docked in the main SDR# toolbar window or floated in the undocked mode, this way if you have more than one instance of SDR# running you can drag the toolbars from each to wherever you want them ( or even to another monitor if you are using multi-monitor setups).

- Detector Buttons
 - Band Switch Buttons
 - Memory Bank Buttons (10 memory slots where you can instantly store and recall presets)
 - FFT Setting Controls
 - AGC Setting Controls

All of the shortcuts and toolbar button actions are shown with the on screen display control. Pressing shortcut keys or pressing the toolbar buttons has the same exact end result.

While I do not currently have a license for the Telerik theme controls, I have made the plugin so the controls look as good as possible with the new SDR# themes.
While not the same as Telerik's controls (they are just the regular windows common controls) at least they look like they can co-exist in the same space and my plugin windows respond to theme changes.

What other features / functions would you like added to each of the above mentioned items?

There a few items that were in the old toolbar which will not be appearing in the newer version (the reason why was mentioned in other thread posts) 

So, if there is some cool feature or setting I can add, I would like to incorporate it before I remove the original separate plugins from my website and replace it with this one. 

ALSO - This particular plugin will only be compatible with the NEWER THEMED VERSIONS of SDR# (inclusive of the .NET 4.6 and .NET 4.8 framework versions).

Thanks 
Thanks Edward for these wonderful additions!
Are you aware you can draw the analog SNR meter in the spectrum display using the same technique as the OSD? This can free some valuable space in the tool bar.

Edward MacDonald

Thanks for in the info Prog. Much appreciated. I will probably do this instead of putting it in the toolbar area,

However I have another problem which I was wondering if you could help me out with somehow...

On my toolbar I have a Track Bar that I want to use to adjust the Filter Bandwidth via the SharpControl interface.

I set the Track Bar's minimum value at 10 which is the lowest the Filter Bandwidth can be when the control loads and then each time the detector type changes.

To set the maximum I was using the SharpControl.RFBandwidth value. ( I believe this is incorrect as my track bar max values are larger than the maximum value of the Filter Bandwidth for each the detector type.

My goal was to set the minimum and maximum values of the track bar according to the associated filter bandwidth for each detector type change and then when the user scrolls my track bar, the resulting value is passed back to the SharpControl to set the filter bandwith
My question is this:

Is there a way to calculate the maximum value for the Filter Band for each detector type / radio source by using values returned from the SharpControl interface?

Thank You.

prog

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 06:15 AM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
Is there a way to calculate the maximum value for the Filter Band for each detector type / radio source by using values returned from the SharpControl interface?
I think I should add a property for this value in ISharpControl.

Edward MacDonald

Thanks for the info.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019, 5:15 AM prog, <info@...> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 06:15 AM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
I think I should add a property for this value in ISharpControl.

prog

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 02:19 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Check the latest update.

Edward MacDonald

Thanks Prog. Much appreciated. It works perfectly.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019, 6:49 AM prog, <info@...> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 02:19 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Check the latest update.

Eric Oyen

Is that plugin compatible with screen readers like narrator, NVDA or jaws in windows? Anything that makes the use of SDRE easier for us blind radio enthusiasts to use makes life better for everyone else too (usually, there is an API used in Microsoft Windows called the MSAA). Could be something to look at.

DE n7zzt Eric
Blind Ham radio Operator and Blind bicyclist/athlete.

On Oct 22, 2019, at 10:18 PM, Edward MacDonald <edwardmacdonald74@...> wrote:

- Detector Buttons
 - Band Switch Buttons
 - FFT Setting Controls
 - AGC Setting Controls

<controlpanel.jpg>

Thanks 

Edward MacDonald

Absolute I will look into it. If it is something I dont need to license I will do my best to add it in. Thanks for this suggestion.

I do add tool tips to everything. I am unaware if screen readers utilize them or not, however I will go and research your idea now.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, 1:41 AM Eric Oyen, <eric.oyen@...> wrote:
Is that plugin compatible with screen readers like narrator, NVDA or jaws in windows? Anything that makes the use of SDRE easier for us blind radio enthusiasts to use makes life better for everyone else too (usually, there is an API used in Microsoft Windows called the MSAA). Could be something to look at.

DE n7zzt Eric
Blind Ham radio Operator and Blind bicyclist/athlete.

On Oct 22, 2019, at 10:18 PM, Edward MacDonald <edwardmacdonald74@...> wrote:

- Detector Buttons
 - Band Switch Buttons
 - FFT Setting Controls
 - AGC Setting Controls

<controlpanel.jpg>

Thanks 

Simon Brown

Also there’s text to speech – I can give you a C++ class for this if you’ve not used it.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Edward MacDonald
Sent: 27 October 2019 09:50
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: Re: [airspy] Accessibility Plugin...Ideas...Comments...

Absolute I will look into it. If it is something I dont need to license I will do my best to add it in. Thanks for this suggestion.

I do add tool tips to everything. I am unaware if screen readers utilize them or not, however I will go and research your idea now.

Edward MacDonald

Sure if you would that would be great.

In the meantime, the plugin is now available from my website via SDRplugins.com/downloads 

The On Screen Display has settings for the brightness, text size, dwell time, location. There is also a setting which allows the user to have the detector type shown on the top right corner of the spectrum analyzer.

Shortcuts keys are also included.

Toolbar buttons sets are:

Detector switches
Band Switches
10 Slot Memory Bank
Mode Control
Filter Bandwidth Slider
Filter Bandwidth Stepper 
Squelch Control
AGC Control
Frequency Stepper (any custom step or follows the SDR# Snap Step)
Analog / Digital Mode Control (many improvements over the previous one with extensive use of the SDR# API)

You can dock / undock the toolbar.

You can set the toolbar to be always on top of all windows.

The keyboard shortcuts will work when SDR# is focused or when the floating toolbar is focused (even if SDR# is minimized)

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Hope you all find it useful

Thanks.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, 6:36 AM Simon Brown, <simon@...> wrote:

Also there’s text to speech – I can give you a C++ class for this if you’ve not used it.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Ray, W4BYG

I have v1.0.0.1731. 

Do I execute the SDRSharp.AccessibilityPlugin.DLL for the "On screen Display" settings, etc.?
Ray, W4BYG

On 10/30/2019 11:39 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:

In the meantime, the plugin is now available from my website via SDRplugins.com/downloads 

The On Screen Display has settings for the brightness, text size, dwell time, location. There is also a setting which allows the user to have the detector type shown on the top right corner of the spectrum analyzer.

Detector switches
Band Switches
10 Slot Memory Bank
Mode Control
Filter Bandwidth Slider
Filter Bandwidth Stepper 
Squelch Control
AGC Control
Analog / Digital Mode Control (many improvements over the previous one with extensive use of the SDR# API)

The keyboard shortcuts will work when SDR# is focused or when the floating toolbar is focused (even if SDR# is minimized)

Thanks.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
Intellectual Yet Idiot... A rising group of people who are quietly filling roles in government, politics,
journalism and acedemia...  Highly qualified on paper, but bereft of real practical intelligence...
N. T. Taleb

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Edward MacDonald

Once you have the plugin running in SDR# you can access the on screen display from the control panel in the plugin panel.

The on screen display is enabled by default.

Also, for clarification purposes:

Please uninstall the older shortcuts plugin. It is no longer valid.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 8:54 AM Ray, W4BYG, <w4byg@...> wrote:
I have v1.0.0.1731. 

Do I execute the SDRSharp.AccessibilityPlugin.DLL for the "On screen Display" settings, etc.?
Ray, W4BYG

On 10/30/2019 11:39 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:

Detector switches
Band Switches
10 Slot Memory Bank
Mode Control
Filter Bandwidth Slider
Filter Bandwidth Stepper 
Squelch Control
AGC Control

Thanks.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
Intellectual Yet Idiot... A rising group of people who are quietly filling roles in government, politics,
journalism and acedemia...  Highly qualified on paper, but bereft of real practical intelligence...
N. T. Taleb

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Calder Latham

Thank You Ed for your hard work. All works Great.

Cal...W1HHO
All the Best.
From the woods of Maine.
On 10/30/2019 23:39, Edward MacDonald wrote:

Detector switches
Band Switches
10 Slot Memory Bank
Mode Control
Filter Bandwidth Slider
Filter Bandwidth Stepper 
Squelch Control
AGC Control

Thanks.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Edward MacDonald

I have updated the Accessabilty plugin to version 1.1.

I have corrected a few spelling errors, fixed the tool tip text on the OSD dwell time taskbar and added a new shortcut key.

Thank you to Day Watson for his suggestion of having a shortcut to allow users to enter the frequency via the keyboard.

To use the new shortcut simple press and HOLD the "K" key while pressing numbers 0 through 9 to input the frequency you want. Example 175 mHz

Press and hold the k key
Press 1
Press 7
Press 5
Press 0
Press 0
Press 0
Release the k key

The frequency will be set.

If you make a mistake while typing in the frequency, simply keep pressing 0 until the on screen display reads "0" and start again.

To use the shortcut the radio source must be playing. Key input is reflected in the on screen display, but still works even if the on screen display is disabled.

Hope you all find it useful. 

Tudor Vedeanu

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 09:54 AM, Edward MacDonald wrote:

To use the new shortcut simple press and HOLD the "K" key while pressing numbers 0 through 9 to input the frequency you want.

This is great, but I have two suggestions.

1. Is there any chance of modifying this shortcut to make it work without keeping a key pressed? Something like this: press K (once) > type frequency > press Enter to set the frequency, or Esc to abort

2. Another suggestion: could you add an option to allow entering the frequency directly in kHz (and maybe MHz too)?

Thank you for your excellent work!

~Tudor

Edward MacDonald

Hello Tudor, I think that I can figure something out within the next week or so to do that for you. I will post back to you when it's done and if I need your help for working out the details. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Also, as a general note: before yelling at me in an email that the bandwidth controls does not work...

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR SDR# INSTALLATION 

Prog has added a new property to the API which is required for my plugin to work.

You will know if you are using the wrong version is you recieve an error stating:

Method Not Found: int32
SDRSharp.Common.ISharpControl.get_MaximumFilterbandwidth()

or something similar

If you are using scripting tools to set up your copy / copies of SDR# make sure you are copying the correct dll files. Specifically the SDRSharp.Common.dll.  Use the latest version. The plugin will not work with any version before 1732.

I woke up this morning to several very nasty emails regarding this issue. Let's all be civil shall we?

Thanks.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019, 5:37 AM Tudor Vedeanu, <tmvedeanu@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 09:54 AM, Edward MacDonald wrote:

To use the new shortcut simple press and HOLD the "K" key while pressing numbers 0 through 9 to input the frequency you want.

This is great, but I have two suggestions.

1. Is there any chance of modifying this shortcut to make it work without keeping a key pressed? Something like this: press K (once) > type frequency > press Enter to set the frequency, or Esc to abort

2. Another suggestion: could you add an option to allow entering the frequency directly in kHz (and maybe MHz too)?

Thank you for your excellent work!

~Tudor

Ron

I second the motion for an option to key in KHz or MHz for the frequency entry. Even just KHz would be great. Trying to think in Hz I inevitably mess up the training zeros since my brain doesn’t think in Hz for RF.

Great work though, this plug in an excellent addition to SDR#. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the hobby!

Ron
WB5DYG
www.wb5dyg.com

Edward MacDonald

Ok everyone, I will change this tonight. I will remap the audio mute function to another key to free up H for Hertz, K for kHz and M for MHz should I also use G for GHz ?

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 2:58 AM Ron, <wb5dyg@...> wrote:
I second the motion for an option to key in KHz or MHz for the frequency entry. Even just KHz would be great. Trying to think in Hz I inevitably mess up the training zeros since my brain doesn’t think in Hz for RF.

Great work though, this plug in an excellent addition to SDR#. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the hobby!

Ron
WB5DYG
www.wb5dyg.com

Edward MacDonald

Ok so I have fixed up a lot of little things.
Not yet completed all tasks.

I remapped the mute function to the E key.

H key enters frequency entry mode using Hz.
K key enters frequency entry mode using kHz 
M key enters frequency entry mode using MHz.

Frequency mode stays active until you press the Enter key. Once pressed the frequency will set.

The X key will exit you out of the frequency entry mode if you decide to cancel.

If you are above or below range of the frequency you manually set, the radio source will only set to its minimum or maximum extent.

The on screen display has been changed to reflect the ACTUAL frequency of SDR# after being set and not the entered frequency. This way if you were out of range you will know.

I also added the Escape key to show / hide the shortcut keys legend dialog.

I changed the AM Band, 70 cm Band and FM band seitches to jump to the start of each band properly following the band plan on the spectrum analyzer. 

Also added is the ability to toggle snap to grid by pressing the G key.

Lots more to do still...back at it.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 2:13 PM Edward MacDonald via Groups.Io, <edwardmacdonald74=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ok everyone, I will change this tonight. I will remap the audio mute function to another key to free up H for Hertz, K for kHz and M for MHz should I also use G for GHz ?

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 2:58 AM Ron, <wb5dyg@...> wrote:

Ron
WB5DYG
www.wb5dyg.com