Topics

Recompile SpyServer for ARM for 512M RAM? #spyserver

marjohan@...

In the download page it says that "RaspberryPi" is supported for the ARM SpyServer, so there are several Pi's available.

Got “Segmentation Fault” on Raspberry 2 with 256 Mb RAM, ZeroW with 512 Mb RAM BUT work perfect on Raspberry 3 Model B with 1 GB RAM!

Some experts says that "SW tries to write beyond the physical address on RAM" causing this problem.

Could this change be done to the next version of ARM SpyServer? The RpiZero I'd like to use is powerful enough for my project. The server itself uses only some 10Mb of total system memory (based on the active ./spyserver session usage in Rpi3).

prog

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 05:38 am, <marjohan@...> wrote:
In the download page it says that "RaspberryPi" is supported for the ARM SpyServer, so there are several Pi's available.

Got “Segmentation Fault” on Raspberry 2 with 256 Mb RAM, ZeroW with 512 Mb RAM BUT work perfect on Raspberry 3 Model B with 1 GB RAM!

Some experts says that "SW tries to write beyond the physical address on RAM" causing this problem.

Could this change be done to the next version of ARM SpyServer? The RpiZero I'd like to use is powerful enough for my project. The server itself uses only some 10Mb of total system memory (based on the active ./spyserver session usage in Rpi3).
For ARM, only 32bit Raspberry Pi 2 or 3, 32bit Odroid XU4 are officially supported.
The assumption here is that if you use a 64bit ARM Linux, you most likely know enough about ARMHF to fix your problems by yourself. If it is not the case, I recommend to stick to the supported build which is used by 99.99% of the users.

PS: We cannot support evey existing Linux/Cheap-ARM-Single-Board-Computer combination in existence. Linux is already Chaotic by nature, and the SBC's just told him hold my beer.

marjohan@...

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. It seems that the Pi 2 with standard Raspbian I have is then some unknown release as I have not managed to get it work even if officially supported.

I think I'll hop to Odroid XU4 as it has USB3 and Gigabit ethernet, anyways better solution.

Greet's: Mac

prog

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 06:14 am, <marjohan@...> wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for the answer. It seems that the Pi 2 with standard Raspbian I have is then some unknown release as I have not managed to get it work even if officially supported.

I think I'll hop to Odroid XU4 as it has USB3 and Gigabit ethernet, anyways better solution.

Greet's: Mac

Here's what you should expect with an Odroid XU4 in CPU/memory usage:

marjohan@...

That looks great !!

Current situation with Rpi3 is that I can host two 'antennas' to two users with basic SpyServer setup without any problems. The Rpi total CPU load is 85-92% if both users listens WFM. Used Radios are AirSpy mini and RTL-stick.

prog

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 07:23 am, <marjohan@...> wrote:
That looks great !!

Current situation with Rpi3 is that I can host two 'antennas' to two users with basic SpyServer setup without any problems. The Rpi total CPU load is 85-92% if both users listens WFM. Used Radios are AirSpy mini and RTL-stick.
When streaming narrow band channels with FFT data, the CPU usage is a bit lower:

When streaming Full IQ at the maximum bandwidth (with no FFT data), the CPU usage is even lower:

Full IQ and 3 ksps stream (no FFT data) will get you something very low:

I hope this helps getting a better idea of what to expect.

Rick Z.

Haveing the same problem, not only me.
If you say Raspberry Pi is supported, please support them fully. You now only support Pi3, that is very confusing.
Spyserver with is low bandwith use is what we need on those systems, otherwise we all could run RTL_SDR_TCP for instance.
For most of us the use of a pi zero (w) is something we would really want to see supporte, beacuse of the small size, it is easy to embed in a small housing with an sdr outside the house (even solar powered) and use wifi to connect.

see also here https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/topic/8682935

Peter Goodhall <pgoodhall@...>

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect prog to support the zero W,
the Pi3 is easy to house even for outside.

--
Peter Goodhall

prog

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 07:45 am, Rick Z. wrote:
If you say Raspberry Pi is supported, please support them fully. You now only support Pi3, that is very confusing.
Oh, I'm sorry you are confused. Please note that the server software is provided free of charge for your convenience. If you don't like it, please don't use it.

PS: We don't get any royalties from the sales of <put some exotic fruit name here> Pi's, or <put some fancy robot name here>'s.

jdow

On 20180128 07:45, Rick Z. wrote:
Haveing the same problem, not only me.
If you say Raspberry Pi is supported, please support them fully. You now only support Pi3, that is very confusing.
Spyserver with is low bandwith use is what we need on those systems, otherwise we all could run RTL_SDR_TCP for instance.
For most of us the use of a pi zero (w) is something we would really want to see supporte, beacuse of the small size, it is easy to embed in a small housing with an sdr outside the house (even solar powered) and use wifi to connect.
see also here https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/topic/8682935
Are you asking Youssef to repeal the limitations of simple mathematics so he can support versions that have CPUs too weak to perform the requested jobs? He's good; but, he's not THAT good.

{o.o}

prog

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 02:19 pm, jdow wrote:
Are you asking Youssef to repeal the limitations of simple mathematics so he can support versions that have CPUs too weak to perform the requested jobs? He's good; but, he's not THAT good.

{o.o}
But but but... rtl_tcp can do it!

marjohan@...

Thank you @prog for the stats about the CPU load with different configurations.

We have saying here in Finland that "The more you eat the better appetite you have" - in my case it is really so and Odroid XU4 will be my next host for all AirSpy (3) & RTL (8) devices I have. I finally may be able to share my antennas with friends and family.

prog

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:34 am, <marjohan@...> wrote:
Thank you @prog for the stats about the CPU load with different configurations.

We have saying here in Finland that "The more you eat the better appetite you have" - in my case it is really so and Odroid XU4 will be my next host for all AirSpy (3) & RTL (8) devices I have. I finally may be able to share my antennas with friends and family.
One last note about the Odroid XU4. The latest kernel has a nasty bug and does not handle USB very well, but this version works fine:

$ uname -a
Linux odroid.local 3.10.105-138 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 7 12:40:29 UTC 2017 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

adriano@...

Yes, but SpyServer is a really nice piece of software!
You know, I (and few others probably) would more than happy to pay for a SpyServer version that runs on Raspberry PI Zero! In my opinion, this is the best option to make a stand-alone SpyServer remote station.