locked SpyServer on RPi2 - Segmentation fault #spyserver

Rick Z.

I tried to set up a spyserver on my 1st gen pi, and experience the same problem you describe, it won't start and gives me a segmentation fault.
I ran a spyserver on this pi (running jessie) sucesfully before, that was the first version, but needed the pi and sd card temporaely for something else. Now it want to setup it again , but cannot get it to work anymore. Sadly.
I first thought it might have to do with stretch, so i even reinstalled jessie after failure on stretch but it did not solve the problem. hope there is a solution for this beacuse i was very happy with the solution.

Blogger <blogger@...>

Hello Rick,

This happened with me on a PI-3.

1) The unit developed an intermittent cold solder joint.

2) Had to replace the uSD card with a faster, brand name card.

The problem went away.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 4:26:55 AM, you wrote:

RZ> I tried to set up a spyserver on my 1st gen pi, and experience the same

RZ> problem you describe, it won't start and gives me a segmentation fault.

RZ> I ran a spyserver on this pi (running jessie) sucesfully before, that was

RZ> the first version, but needed the pi and sd card temporaely for something

RZ> else. Now it want to setup it again , but cannot get it to work anymore. Sadly.

RZ> I first thought it might have to do with stretch, so i even reinstalled

RZ> jessie after failure on stretch but it did not solve the problem. hope there

RZ> is a solution for this beacuse i was very happy with the solution.

Best regards,

Blogger

Rick Z.

Thanks Blogger,  i now tested it on another pi (brand new pi0w) , other (10x fast brand name card) sd card, full re-install. but  same problem, segmentation fault.
Might be problem in how they compiled ?

Святослав З <mtiklogs@...>

I have same problem on Raspberry Pi Zero (for tests).

 $ sudo ./spyserver
Segmentation fault

How to fix it step by step? This problem on Raspbian and DietPi distros.

Dave Pick

I have the same problem, fresh install of Raspian on an early Model B

Dave

prog

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 02:29 am, Dave Pick wrote:
I have the same problem, fresh install of Raspian on an early Model B

Dave
"Early Model B" is not very helpful. How early is it? Link? uname -a?

PS: It's NEVER the same problem with computers.

Mark Bailey

Did you rebuild and install ‘airspyhf’ and ‘rtl-sdr’ from Github sources? And/or if this is a fresh install of Raspbian, did any core libs (like glibc) change between installs? Have you applied all pending updates (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md)?

Not sure if there were any subtle changes in RPi2B models, but I have two of them with latest spyserver (one with HF+ and the other with RTL-SDRv3) running fine.

However, with the HF+, *BOTH* RPi2s introduce some sort of oscillating interference signal in the lower bands (NOT present when NOT using HF+ on an RPi2 - @2690Khz and 3140KHz here, but all over the LF/MF/HF bands – I’d be curious to see if you see something similar once you get spyserver working):

FWIW, I did notice that when I pinched down on the RPi2 PCB board right behind the HDMI connector while tuned to one of these, both the RF and period frequencies of these shifted a tiny bit. And, when I let go, they shifted back. This may be an RPI2-only issue, but I’m not the only one to have reported this.

Dave Pick

Mark and all

I would think the source of such a noise would be from the 5V power supply rather than something within the Raspi as all clocks on the board ought to be stable. I will check when I get it working!
I am a complete novice on Linux I'm afraid.. I have just done the updates as detailed but no change
I have followed the Tutorial on the Airspy site and installed the RTL-SDR library but not AirspyHF one which I don't know how to do. (I am trying to use an AirspyHF+).
As for my version of hardware it says 2011 on the board. uname -a gives me "Linux raspberrypi 4.9.59+ #1047 Sun Oct 29 11:47:10 GMT 2017 armv61 GNU/Linux".
I don't understand what "Link" means on Prog's post!

Cheers

Dave

prog

https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/message/23135?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,github+airspyhf,20,2,0,5727431