Windows 10 Tablet Recommendations? #win10

Scott/KC1UA

Good morning,

Backstory: I have three portable SDR's. An authentic Malahit, a new Airinst SDR Dreamkit, and a very reliable Afedri LAN-IQ. While all are very nice in their own way, I find them lacking with regards to things I like to be able to do while portable and searching for signals. My primary interest is searching from 30 MHz and higher.

Intent: I would like to run SDR# and an Airspy Mini as a portable setup. I would also really like to be able to cram DSD+ FL in there as well, along with a few of the more popular SDR# plug-ins such as the CTCSS and DCS decoders, and the frequency scanner.

In search of: Current or recent Windows 10 tablet that will support the above. I would prefer to avoid Microsoft Surfaces as they appear to be "rather overpriced". I have searched in the group for tablet information and found some threads that are older but nothing really current. It would be used for this dedicated purpose and as such would not need to run any other software concurrently. I'm hoping something with 4 or 6 GB of RAM will be sufficient. I see them on Amazon in the mid $200 range.

Other stuff: I'm interested in any feedback with running SDR# from a touch screen and experiences good or bad with that. I'd likely look for a tablet with 2 standard USB ports and use a mouse. Also, I expect some interference issues given the proximity of antennas to the tablet. Are there any tablets that anyone has found to be less of an interference source, and/or how have you overcome or minimized any interference other than getting your antenna as far away from the laptop as possible; not always possible when portable.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

--
Scott - KC1UA
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, MA USA

David J Taylor

On 20/10/2021 13:48, Scott/KC1UA via groups.io wrote:
In search of: Current or recent Windows 10 tablet that will support the above.
I would prefer to avoid Microsoft Surfaces as they appear to be "rather
overpriced". I have searched in the group for tablet information and found some
threads that are older but nothing really current. It would be used for this
dedicated purpose and as such would not need to run any other software
concurrently. I'm hoping something with 4 or 6 GB of RAM will be sufficient. I
see them on Amazon in the mid $200 range.
I have one of these:

CHIWI Hi10 XR
2 in 1 Laptop with Stylus Pen, 10.1 Inch Touch Screen Tablet Pc,
6GB LPDDR4X 128G SSD, Turbo frequency 2.6GHz, 1920x1200 Resolution

which is a separate tablet and keyboard. The touchpad isn't all that good as
the reviews say, and I've not actually used it in tablet-only mode. It has
updated successfully to Win-11.

I guess you get what you pay for!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Scott/KC1UA

Thanks David,

After conducting quite a few hours of research I decided to take a chance on this one. The seller offers 30 day returns, and the specs sound like they'll be more than sufficient. It is small enough to fit into the form factor I'm looking for and when I drop it on the floor or the ground it appears it'll survive. I wish it had 1920 x 1080 resolution but I think I'll survive nonetheless...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363429184446

I'll follow up with how it performs once it's set up. Still interested in people's setups and opinions though.
--
Scott - KC1UA
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, MA USA

Ken Sejkora

Thanks for sharing that, Scott.  That looks like a nice platform for an SDR application, and the price is pretty attractive as well.  It would be interesting to know what audio chip is used in the integrated sound card, and what sampling rates it supports.  In most cases, an audio sampling rate of 48 ksps is more than adequate for listening, and even for many digital mode post-processing software products like fldigi, MultiPSK, wsjt-x, etc.  However, I seem to recall that some of the software used to process weather satellite images and other types of images are better suited to audio sampling rates of 96 ksps or 192 ksps.  Even if the on-board sound card didn’t support the higher audio sampling rates, an add-on USB sound ‘dongle’ might provide a solution to give you the higher sampling rates if you need it.

Keep us posted on your experience.  Thanks and 73.

Ken --  WBØOCV

East Falmouth, Cape Cod, MA  FN41ro

After conducting quite a few hours of research I decided to take a chance on this one. The seller offers 30 day returns, and the specs sound like they'll be more than sufficient. It is small enough to fit into the form factor I'm looking for and when I drop it on the floor or the ground it appears it'll survive. I wish it had 1920 x 1080 resolution but I think I'll survive nonetheless...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363429184446

I'll follow up with how it performs once it's set up. Still interested in people's setups and opinions though.
--
Scott - KC1UA
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, MA USA

--

Ken, WBØOCV East Falmouth, MA USA
41.5997N, 70.5614W  FN41ro

Scott/KC1UA

Here's a page with a lot of pertinent information:

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/tablets/xslate-b10.html

It appears that it is Realtek HD Audio which I *think* maxes at 48000. There is an extra USB port though, and there are external cards by Startech which are pretty small yet support 96000. They can be a little quirky but they work well once they're set up.

Once I know the setup is working properly I may do some dismantling to see if there's any room to install a chassis mount BNC connector with a short piece of RG178 or similar and a few RF chokes, and maybe the same for a short USB cable to connect the Airspy device, although the mini will have to remain outside I think as reviews of this indicate it can run pretty warm. But, first things first...make it work and then go from there.

--
Scott - KC1UA
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, MA USA

Annunaki

Edited

I picked up a virtually brand new 8 GB 6th gen i5 Surface Pro 4 off of the Facebook marketplace for £200 which runs SDR# and my Airspy at 10MSPS flawlessly.

David J Taylor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363429184446 <https://www.ebay.com/itm/363429184446>

I'll follow up with how it performs once it's set up. Still interested in
people's setups and opinions though.
--
Scott - KC1UA
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, MA USA
Looks good! Resolution is a good point, but with programmers moving to
"27-inch 4K" screens being able to fit everything on with smaller displays is
an important consideration.

Wish I'd seen that one myself!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Scott/KC1UA

Following up on this post as I now have this up and running. I am very pleased with the results thus far. This tablet runs SDR# and DSD+ FL without a hitch, and all of the other plug-ins I use as well. This tablet did come with a pen, but I do find that the mouse works far better for this application. I used double-sided 3M tape in an unobtrusive area on the back of the tablet and am plugging the Airspy Mini into that. Interference from the tablet is present but not bad to the point where it interferes with reception. So far so good! Attached a few pics of the result.
--
Scott - KC1UA
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, MA USA

Terry Gaff

Looks very interesting Scott, glad to hear that it's working well for you with SDR# etc.
How was the unit you received ? Were you happy with it's condition.. any screen scratches etc. ?
I've been looking for something like this to run SDR# and to test antennas etc. away from the house and also to do some short wave listening away from the urban hash.
It looks more robust and tougher than a Windows Surface type tablet.

Terry.

Scott/KC1UA

It's in excellent shape. The battery is not in ideal condition but the seller made that clear. It has a clean install of Windows 10 Home with no bloatware. It also has a rugged handle that has a hole for storing the pen. I removed that to reduce the bulk. It boots very fast and the display is clean and incredibly bright. The resolution of 1366 x 768 is actually fine. It was incredibly well packed. I'm very pleased with its condition and performance thus far.