Airspy as panadapter

Hajo Dezelski

Hello,

I have an old Elecraft K2 with IF-Adapter. Can I connect the output directly to my Airspy HF+ Discovery and use SHARP#?

Hajo

David Jackson

I use this and it works great:

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1708b-sdrs?_pos=2&_sid=1eca69c41&_ss=r

Martin Smith

+10 dBm is the Maximum RF input for the Airspy HF+ Discovery (ref: https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/ )

I have no idea what the maximum power output of an "Elecraft K2 with IF-Adapter" is, maybe check your manuals, you might need to add an attenuator. Or if the information is missing from the manuals you could contact Elecraft or measure the signal level under extreme conditions to see if an attenuator is needed. Or just add more attenuation than you would ever expect to need and then scale it down over time.

Generic no name 2W SMA coaxial RF attenuators are cheap, and surprisingly good quality, from aliexpress or ebay. At the end of the day there is just resistors inside them, it would take extra effort to make bad ones especially at low frequencies.

My gut feeling is that you may not need an attenuator, but do you really want to damage your Airspy HF+ Discovery because I guessed wrong, the above is how I would approach it.

For RX I suspect that the Elecraft may not be as sensitive as the Airspy HF+ Discovery...

Hajo Dezelski

Thanks Martin,

your concern was the reason for my asking. So I will look what  the output is - hopefully under +10 dBm.

I will report.

Hajo

jdow

That's an "automatic" RF powered antenna switch. This might be the cheapest thing short of E-Bay for a simple antenna switch. (You don't want to use the same antenna for HF and VHF....)

{^_^}

On 20200915 05:15:02, David Jackson wrote:
I use this and it works great:

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1708b-sdrs?_pos=2&_sid=1eca69c41&_ss=r

jdow

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1702