Discovery Frequency Calibration #airspydiscovery

John Wunder

Just received new Discovery yesterday, firmware ver R3.0.7-CD, running SDR# v1.0.0.1732

What is the procedure for FREQUENCY CALIBRATION ?
Is there an option for DECIMATION ?

Thanks !

jdow

What gives you the impression that you must calibrate the Discovery? It should come fully calibrated, especially if you bought it from the airspy.com folks.

{O.O}

On 20200612 08:05:32, John Wunder wrote:
Just received new Discovery yesterday, firmware ver R3.0.7-CD, running SDR# v1.0.0.1732
What is the procedure for FREQUENCY CALIBRATION ?
Is there an option for DECIMATION ?
Thanks !

Airspy US

If it was purchased from us (and we believe it was since we see a recent order
for one from you, John), it was calibrated to a GPS standard prior to shipment.

The decimation is selected on the SOURCE panel - BANDWIDTH selection
(for the HF+ it's called Bandwidth and for the R2/Mini it's called Decimation).
We believe the name was simply clarified on the HF+. Prog will chime in if not.
However the result is the same.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

On 6/13/2020 12:27 AM, jdow wrote:
What gives you the impression that you must calibrate the Discovery? It should come fully calibrated, especially if you bought it from the airspy.com folks.

{O.O}

On 20200612 08:05:32, John Wunder wrote:
Just received new Discovery yesterday, firmware ver R3.0.7-CD, running SDR# v1.0.0.1732

What is the procedure for FREQUENCY CALIBRATION ?
Is there an option for DECIMATION ?

Thanks !

Airspy US

Oh, and as you can see the firmware is the latest, too.

---------

On 6/13/2020 1:07 AM, Airspy US via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Philippe F4IQP

What if I bought it from it from itead.cc ?
Is there a procedure that describe what should be done ?

Thanks

On 13 Jun 2020, at 07:07, Airspy US via groups.io <airspy_us@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

What if I bought it from it from itead.cc <http://itead.cc> ?
Is there a procedure that describe what should be done ?
Phillipe,

That is what I wondered.
There is a simple way using say HDSDR and the ExtIO DLL. Just adjust the ppb until a reference signal is correct then save.
There is a file hfplus_ppb.exe in the firmware package. If you know the ppb required you may use that command line tool. Not so simple. I could not find another way.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

Um, if you save a value outside the dongle you have a strong likelihood if the dongle working properly ONLY with ExtIO.DLL, which is an unacceptable limitation.

{o.o}

On 20200612 23:56:44, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
What if I bought it from it from itead.cc <http://itead.cc> ?
Is there a procedure that describe what should be done ?
Phillipe,
That is what I wondered.
There is a simple way using say HDSDR and the ExtIO DLL. Just adjust the ppb until a reference signal is correct then save.
There is a file hfplus_ppb.exe in the firmware package. If you know the ppb required you may use that command line tool. Not so simple. I could not find another way.
73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

Um, if you save a value outside the dongle you have a strong likelihood if the dongle working properly ONLY with ExtIO.DLL,
Joanne,

After I did that I went back to SDR# and calibration was correct.
The ExtIO linked on the Airspy page sets the calibration correctly as checked again by the Command line utility.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

That is what I wondered.
There is a simple way using say HDSDR and the ExtIO DLL. Just adjust the ppb until a reference signal is correct then save.
There is a file hfplus_ppb.exe in the firmware package. If you know the ppb required you may use that command line tool. Not so simple. I could not find another way.

Alan G4ZFQ

f you save a value outside the dongle you have a strong likelihood if the dongle working properly ONLY with ExtIO.DLL,
I should add that any calibration setting in the external software should not be used.
That would create a calibration disaster.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

Good. I was worried because I had noticed some programs did Pluto correctly and some did not. The results were annoying.

{^_-}