Topics

Beware of dishonest eBay buyers #offtopic

Mark Comerford

Hello all,
I was hoping you could help with me with a problem with my HF+. To cut a long story short, I sold a perfectly working AirSpy HF+ Dual Port to a buyer on eBay (I already have a HF+ Discovery, which is brilliant by the way) who claimed it didn't work on the HF port and insisted that he return it four hours after receiving the device, he claimed he was using Wellbrook and pa0rdt active antennas with this device. After much deliberation, I accepted the return, as I couldn't bothered with the mud slinging and bias eBay places towards the buyer and was willing to just keep the HF+ for myself (wished I had now!!) Anyway, to say this individual sent the radio back in a non working condition is an under-statement.

After inspection of the PCB under the microscope, this buyer, despite being adamant that I was to blame for sending him a faulty device, claimed he has done nothing wrong but as you can see in the picture, not only has he made a complete hash job of the soldering on the R3 resistor (which he claimed he couldn't do as he is 70 and arthritic), the antenna trace has also been torn, I am assuming he has attempted the R3 bypass mod for active antennas and failed. I am highly proficient at soldering and would never have sent an electronic device to someone in this state, it baffles me how this can be done and how someone can blindly accuse someone else of this sort of thing and insulting their intelligence!

This isn't the biggest issue though as I believe this is fixable with some jumper wire. The USB part of the device isn't working correctly, when I plug it in, it says its drawing too much current. At a loss at what it could be, I desoldered the U10 chip from the board and lo and behold the device is detected in SDR#, but acts temporamental, randomly disconnecting and displays the USB error now and again. With the U10 chip resoldered, it never works, just keeps stating the device is overdrawing current in Windows and Linux. I am wondering if there could be an internal short in this chip?

My question is, what does the U10 chip do and is it possible to replace it? I am refraining from plugging this device in any more to avoid any further damage and to find out what this component does.

It would be really nice to fix this radio, it's expensive and I'm not prepared to foot a bill because of someone elses incompetent and dishonest practices.

Many thanks,
Mark.

prog

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 01:03 PM, <markcomerford@...> wrote:
My question is, what does the U10 chip do and is it possible to replace it? I am refraining from plugging this device in any more to avoid any further damage and to find out what this component does.
What a shame. Contact me privately so we can find a solution for you: info at airspy dot com.

Siegfried Jackstien

he was right ... he said he could not do the modding cause he is 70 and arthritic ... (BUT HE TRIED IT ANYWAY!!)

so sad that this nice sdr is now defective ... hopefully it can be repaired (and why not tell others the buyers ebay name?!?)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps ... yes ... incompetent ... summs it up in one word

Am 10.06.2020 um 10:06 schrieb markcomerford@...:

[...]

Larry Dighera

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 03:06:48 -0700, markcomerford@gmail.com wrote:

Sad story. It takes all kinds ...

That's why I always specify RETURNS NOT ACCEPTED when selling on eBay.
Do you have any recourse through eBay?

I have new respect for AirSpy 'prog' for his offer to work with you.

[...]

Attachments:
IMG_1010.jpg: https://groups.io/g/airspy/attachment/35018/0

Dewey

Unfortunately, FleeBay currently goes through GREAT lengths to "protect" the buyer, despite the transaction details.  I emphasize currently, because sometimes the protection pendulum will swing toward protecting the seller,  but that is RARE!  I sold a Uniden scanner on FleeBay to a scammer in Florida who did very similar to this story.  I suspected, and should have acted on my scam suspicion since my beginning offer was $300, and his winning bid was $405.  I had video of the scanner running/working at sale, yet the scammer claimed that the scanner would not even power up, and started a case after my pointing out that the sale was "as-is."  I was forced to take the scanner back and when I received it, the front screen and case area was visibly damaged, and of course, the scanner did NOT work... NOTHING like the auction pictures.  When I pulled the micro-SD card and examined it, there were two police transmissions recorded where the scammer tested the scanner.  Furthermore, the transmissions contained audio tags showing the date, time, and GPS coordinates of the transmissions... date & time shortly after the scammer signed for the scanner and GPS coordinates for a police department that covers the scammer's area.

I pointed ALL of this out to FleeBay and they did refund the auction amount and removed the negative comments, but with a stern warning that this was a one-time refund and that I would not be protected again.  HAVEN'T USED FLEEBAY since, and don't intend on going back.  If I could stop using PayPal, I would (PayPal and FleeBay are connected for those who may not be aware), but sometimes, I want that protection.

Sorry about the rant, but I am hoping that the experience may be an education for other FleeBay users.  Now back to your regularly scheduled AirSpy topics.

Dewey

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:22 AM Larry Dighera <LDighera@...> wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 03:06:48 -0700, markcomerford@... wrote:

Sad story.  It takes all kinds ...

That's why I always specify RETURNS NOT ACCEPTED when selling on eBay.
Do you have any recourse through eBay?

I have new respect for AirSpy 'prog' for his offer to work with you.

>Hello all,
>I was hoping you could help with me with a problem with my HF+. To cut a long story short, I sold a perfectly working AirSpy HF+ Dual Port to a buyer on eBay (I already have a HF+ Discovery, which is brilliant by the way) who claimed it didn't work on the HF port and insisted that he return it four hours after receiving the device, he claimed he was using Wellbrook and pa0rdt active antennas with this device. After much deliberation, I accepted the return, as I couldn't bothered with the mud slinging and bias eBay places towards the buyer and was willing to just keep the HF+ for myself (wished I had now!!) Anyway, to say this individual sent the radio back in a non working condition is an under-statement.
>
>After inspection of the PCB under the microscope, this buyer, despite being adamant that I was to blame for sending him a faulty device, claimed he has done nothing wrong but as you can see in the picture, not only has he made a complete hash job of the soldering on the R3 resistor (which he claimed he couldn't do as he is 70 and arthritic), the antenna trace has also been torn, I am assuming he has attempted the R3 bypass mod for active antennas and failed. I am highly proficient at soldering and would never have sent an electronic device to someone in this state, it baffles me how this can be done and how someone can blindly accuse someone else of this sort of thing and insulting their intelligence!
>
>This isn't the biggest issue though as I believe this is fixable with some jumper wire. The USB part of the device isn't working correctly, when I plug it in, it says its drawing too much current. At a loss at what it could be, I desoldered the U10 chip from the board and lo and behold the device is detected in SDR#, but acts temporamental, randomly disconnecting and displays the USB error now and again. With the U10 chip resoldered, it never works, just keeps stating the device is overdrawing current in Windows and Linux. I am wondering if there could be an internal short in this chip?
>
>My question is, what does the U10 chip do and is it possible to replace it? I am refraining from plugging this device in any more to avoid any further damage and to find out what this component does.
>
>It would be really nice to fix this radio, it's expensive and I'm not prepared to foot a bill because of someone elses incompetent and dishonest practices.
>
>Many thanks,
>Mark.
>
>Attachments:
>IMG_1010.jpg: https://groups.io/g/airspy/attachment/35018/0

Rich NE1EE

Wow! Now I see why there are these comments on eBay. I guess that one approach is to take good pictures before shipping...extra effort...
I wonder what you mean by "bothered with the mud slinging and bias eBay places towards the buyer"?
I only sell stuff that is exactly what I say it is, and then I guess that I would not want to accept a return because someone says it doesn't work.

OTOH, and I understand this may seem contradictory, I have developed a reflex against sellers who say no returns because of parts swappers, etc.
I now see the point better.
I just don't understand buying something, damaging it, and returning it.
--
73 de Rich NE1EE
On the banks of the Piscataqua

Siegfried Jackstien

uff .... never thought about that ...

you sell a working device ... buyer has same but defective device and returns his device as yours not working unit?!? that is very crazy ...

such buyers should get a self exploding unit in next buy :-)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 10.06.2020 um 14:04 schrieb Rich NE1EE:

Wow! Now I see why there are these comments on eBay. I guess that one approach is to take good pictures before shipping...extra effort...
I wonder what you mean by "bothered with the mud slinging and bias eBay places towards the buyer"?
I only sell stuff that is exactly what I say it is, and then I guess that I would not want to accept a return because someone says it doesn't work.

OTOH, and I understand this may seem contradictory, I have developed a reflex against sellers who say no returns because of parts swappers, etc.
I now see the point better.
I just don't understand buying something, damaging it, and returning it.

Bob

PayPal are evil.
A friend of mine organises Medical and other conferences on behalf of various institutions. She has a colleague in Canada who does the same over there.
On one occasion this fellow decided to use PayPal as a quick, easy and safe way to collect payment from the delegates, which was used to pay for the conference hall, speaker expenses etc.
Rather, it seemed quick and easy until PayPal flagged it as a scam, impounded all the money and suspended his account.
Despite representations from the delegates who had paid, links to the event website and a statement from the institution, they refused to release the funds. The Canadian had to re-mortgage his house to fund the event. He eventually had the money released after about 3 months IIRC.
I don't trust them and will not use them.

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

eBay and PayPal are no longer the same company. eBay bought PayPal in 2002 and spun it off in 2015.

But they still have a relationship. Various articles say that PayPal was eBay's primary credit card processor but that would end in 2020. But I haven't found anything on whether that is actually happening. PayPay is still available as an option, but it is no longer at the top of the list on eBay checkout.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM Dewey <Dewey3@...> wrote:
> [...]

>My question is, what does the U10 chip do and is it possible to replace it? I am refraining from plugging this device in any more to avoid any further damage and to find out what this component does.
>
>It would be really nice to fix this radio, it's expensive and I'm not prepared to foot a bill because of someone elses incompetent and dishonest practices.

Thank you for the update.

Dewey

[...]

Thank you for all of your replies, very much appreciated. Just to clarify, the listing for my Airspy HF+ is here. The buyer ID is eftcats-1, I reside in the UK, so make sure you can avoid dealing with this individual if at all possible if you are looking to buy a second hand radio in this country. I did state 'No returns accepted' on the listing but this buyer filed a faulty item case against me, where under the buyer protection terms, 'Sellers may be required to accept returns for items that are not as described', I knew that fighting this was a lost cause. Rather than involve myself in a mud slinging match with the buyer and then get eBay to step in and side with them, I decided to just accept the item back. What makes it worse is that I foot the bill for sending the item to the buyer and then for paying a return label to for them to return it to me, eBay forced me to do this, it was not going to come out of their pocket, and the buyer was exempt from this because of the faulty claim.

Unfortunately my naievity and honesty along with eBay buyer protection has been used as a weapon against me, can't believe some people can behave like this. I am now going to think twice about using eBay as I have lost faith in the platform. This whole ordeal has not only upset me but angered me, as it makes you wonder when or if it will happen again.

As has been mentioned, it made no sense to break an item and return it, only of course if the buyer is dishonest. Similarly it would have been illogical for me to send a faulty device out to someone knowing that the buyer will just send it back anyway, like has happened here.

And thank you for offering to help, prog, it is very much appreciated. I will send you over an email shortly!

Many thanks,
Mark.

Joe M.

eBay also seems to be taking steps to set up their own payment system.

Joe M.

<mailto:markcomerford@gmail.com> wrote:

Sad story. It takes all kinds ...

That's why I always specify RETURNS NOT ACCEPTED when selling on
eBay.
Do you have any recourse through eBay?

I have new respect for AirSpy 'prog' for his offer to work with
you.

>Hello all,
>I was hoping you could help with me with a problem with my
HF+. To cut a long story short, I sold a perfectly working
AirSpy HF+ Dual Port to a buyer on eBay (I already have a HF+
Discovery, which is brilliant by the way) who claimed it didn't
work on the HF port and insisted that he return it four hours
after receiving the device, he claimed he was using Wellbrook
and pa0rdt active antennas with this device. After much
deliberation, I accepted the return, as I couldn't bothered with
the mud slinging and bias eBay places towards the buyer and was
willing to just keep the HF+ for myself (wished I had now!!)
Anyway, to say this individual sent the radio back in a non
working condition is an under-statement.

>After inspection of the PCB under the microscope, this buyer,
despite being adamant that I was to blame for sending him a
faulty device, claimed he has done nothing wrong but as you can
see in the picture, not only has he made a complete hash job of
the soldering on the R3 resistor (which he claimed he couldn't
do as he is 70 and arthritic), the antenna trace has also been
torn, I am assuming he has attempted the R3 bypass mod for
active antennas and failed. I am highly proficient at soldering
and would never have sent an electronic device to someone in
this state, it baffles me how this can be done and how someone
can blindly accuse someone else of this sort of thing and
insulting their intelligence!

>This isn't the biggest issue though as I believe this is
fixable with some jumper wire. The USB part of the device isn't
working correctly, when I plug it in, it says its drawing too
much current. At a loss at what it could be, I desoldered the
U10 chip from the board and lo and behold the device is detected
in SDR#, but acts temporamental, randomly disconnecting and
displays the USB error now and again. With the U10 chip
resoldered, it never works, just keeps stating the device is
overdrawing current in Windows and Linux. I am wondering if
there could be an internal short in this chip?

>My question is, what does the U10 chip do and is it possible
to replace it? I am refraining from plugging this device in any
more to avoid any further damage and to find out what this
component does.

>It would be really nice to fix this radio, it's expensive and
I'm not prepared to foot a bill because of someone elses
incompetent and dishonest practices.

>Many thanks,
>Mark.
>
>Attachments:
>IMG_1010.jpg: https://groups.io/g/airspy/attachment/35018/0

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Frank Kosta

Dear All

I have been an ebay user since 2001, but stopped selling more than 2 years ago.
To make a long story short, I sold a SDR in mint condition and the buyer claimed it was not working as he expected.
He asked to return the item and claimed a full refund. I tried to oppose him, but in the end, I gave up.
I lost track of how many emails and phone calls I made to ebay customer service (in the UK and USA).
As a buyer, he had FULL support from ebay. Sellers, who pay ebay fees, have ZERO support from ebay.
So, yes, even if you put in capitals you don't accept returns, you will have to accept it back, if the buyer claims it doesn't work.(*)
If you don't do it, you will lose the item and ebay will get the money back anyway!
That is the reason why they hold your payment until the end of buyer deadline to make a claim!
In this case I was lucky: the buyer returned the SDR as I had sent it.
He was just an absolute idiot, who didn't knew how to use the software and I learned my lesson, the hard way.
Good luck selling on ebay. You are going to need it!

73 FCosta, CT1EAT/M0HOJ

(*) That is the reason why many sellers are advertizing working items as defective, so buyers can't return them!

Joe M. <mch@...> escreveu no dia quarta, 10/06/2020 à(s) 17:38:
> [...]

>         much current. At a loss at what it could be, I desoldered the
>         U10 chip from the board and lo and behold the device is detected
>         in SDR#, but acts temporamental, randomly disconnecting and
>         displays the USB error now and again. With the U10 chip
>         resoldered, it never works, just keeps stating the device is
>         overdrawing current in Windows and Linux. I am wondering if
>         there could be an internal short in this chip?
>          >
>          >My question is, what does the U10 chip do and is it possible
>         to replace it? I am refraining from plugging this device in any
>         more to avoid any further damage and to find out what this
>         component does.
>          >
>          >It would be really nice to fix this radio, it's expensive and
>         I'm not prepared to foot a bill because of someone elses

agene

I am afraid I can't support the statements regarding PayPal in this thread. For a number of years, I released a number of cheap programs for various train simulators, most payments were in the $5 to $20 range. Over a period of about 7 years I sold around 10,000 copies of the programs, all paid for via PayPal. In that time there were only 2 queries from users and I suspect in these cases the purchaser had used their parents PayPal account without telling them. All other payments were received and credited to my account with no problems at all.

Regards, Mike Simpson
NSW, Australia

jdow

Your basic problem in this regard is honesty. Most of us suffer from this disease. But, sociopaths and psychopaths exist in distressing numbers. You can see this with the basically dishonest BLM "protests" that are destroying cities around the world. (If you look at the statistics police are at more danger from "Blacks" than "Blacks" are from police. I put quotes around "Blacks" because I notice most of the BLM "protesters" that have been arrested for extreme violence have been other than black.)

{o.o}

On 20200610 07:04:24, Rich NE1EE wrote:
Wow! Now I see why there are these comments on eBay. I guess that one approach is to take good pictures before shipping...extra effort...
I wonder what you mean by "bothered with the mud slinging and bias eBay places towards the buyer"?
I only sell stuff that is exactly what I say it is, and then I guess that I would not want to accept a return because someone says it doesn't work.
OTOH, and I understand this may seem contradictory, I have developed a reflex against sellers who say no returns because of parts swappers, etc.
I now see the point better.
I just don't understand buying something, damaging it, and returning it.

Simon Brown

Agreed,

I use PayPal with my software, never had a problem other than those described by Mike, it’s been easy to resolve with PayPal.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com