Need help to optimize my Airspy HF+ Discovery setup #airspydiscovery #airspyhfplus

Juan - EA5XQ

Hi

Recently I got an AirSpy Hf+ Discovery.

I have noticed that strong “sparky” noise can be heard. I thought that was USB cable and I included some toroids but no improvements. Just by chance I removed the Ethernet adaptor (I am using a Macbook Pro Touchbar) and noise dissapeared! I also connected the laptop via wifi and the noise was present too not so strong though .

How could I reduce that noise?

Thanks
--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
SDRDx

Ian DXer

Hi Juan,

Early in my usage of by HF+ DP I discovered that the ethernet cables were a source of noise.
I replaced ALL of my ethernet cables with quality CAT6 shielded cables.
This was the single most effective & simple method of reducing just one source of noise.

Good luck.

Ian

Siegfried Jackstien

does your router maybe have a switching psu?? ... or does the router itself sends out that "noise"??

my router (or exactly say the ethernet part) makes noise on 12m (wipes out that band completely) ... but only if i use the ethernet (wired) part ... after i connected my laptop only wireless that noise was gone

have you also some current chokes in the antenna cable ??? otherwise that coax shield can act as a long wire antenna and pick up noise additionally to your main signal from the antenna

connecting the sdr ground to the station ground also can lower the noise a bit (here it does ... using funcubedongle pro plus on sw)

greetz sigi dg9bfc