AIRSPY SDR software for Macosx #software

Juan - EA5XQ

Is it planned to develop a Macosx version of the Airspy software?

I am using SDRdx software that works fine for Macosx, most likely the unique one?,  but I am sure the now airspy software will get much more from the hardware with their own software (indeed, SDRdx sometimes fails due to its experimental version) , so it is a pity to use 3rd party due to the fact that there is no version for your Operative System, when Macosx is growing a lot.

Thanks

--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
SDRDx

prog

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 09:37 AM, EA5XQ - Juan wrote:
Airspy software
This is a very broad term. Does it mean the drivers? SDR#? Something else we're not aware of?
Here are some clues about the general orientation of this project:

- The drivers are cross-platform and open source.
- SDR# is a Windows app with tons of plugins for Windows. A few dozens are published, and many more are not published and used for specific commercial applications.
- The % of users on Mac is extremely low for technical hobbies in general, and SDR is no exception.
- I don't use Mac.

John - AI7AQ <jvanb231@...>

On the mac I use CubicSDR, its stable but I feel like Im missing important controls available in sdr#.

Glenn Blum

CubicSDR does lack.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On the mac I use CubicSDR, its stable but I feel like Im missing important controls available in sdr#.

@ZS6JBZ

SDR# runs fine under VMware Fusion with Win10 on MacBookPros.

If you want to save a bit VirtualBox should do the job too (you will need to find a Win10 license though).

jdow

I've not tried lately; but, I have never gotten a virtualbox Windows-windows system to properly stream even a tiny RTL dongle. So approach VBox with care.

{o.o}

On 20200525 05:48:33, zs6jbz@gmail.com wrote:
SDR# runs fine under VMware Fusion with Win10 on MacBookPros.
If you want to save a bit VirtualBox should do the job too (you will need to find a Win10 license though).

Juan - EA5XQ

Thanks for all the comments, I am aware that there are few Mac-users in radioham world but definitely I am not going back to WIndows just for this, SDRDX is a program from Blackcatsystems.com and although not perfect is doing the job and you can enjoy diving into the SW bands using AirSpyHf+ Server.

I will check the VBOx out, although I think that I will find problems with the drivers and virtual connections via USB, just in case to test AirSpy Windows App.
--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
SDRDx

Tudor Vedeanu

My advice is to get a copy of Windows and install it on your Mac using a virtualization software package like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. You'll have access to SDR#, SDR Console and pretty much any other SDR software available for Windows. They will run seamlessly on top of macOS, almost just like a regular Mac application. There is no need to fully boot your Mac in Windows and give up on macOS. I'm a Mac user myself, and although SDRdx and Gqrx on Mac work okay with the Airspy devices, it's just easier and better to use the Windows apps.

Tudor

John Brown

Tudor Vedeanu

I am using an Airspy HF+ on a 2015 MacBook i7 and it 'turns off' after 10 minutes. I have to restart the 'radio' and it runs for another 10 minutes. This with both SDR Console and SDR#. Running under Parallels and Mac Catalina and Windows 10. I have turned off the W10 power setting for the USB ports with no change.

At this point I am looking for a similar setting for Mac OS but have not found it yet.

Thanks
--
John

Richard Langley

Is your Mac going to sleep after 10 minutes? What have you selected in System Preferences / Energy Saver?

-- Richard Langley

Greg Ella

GQRX

Greg Ella
N0EMP

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 8:40 AM Richard Langley <lang@...> wrote:
Is your Mac going to sleep after 10 minutes? What have you selected in System Preferences / Energy Saver?

-- Richard Langley

John Brown

Changed everything to what I think is absolutely 'let my computer run'. No change. Still timed out. The MacBook does not freeze and neither do any programs (Mac or Win).

Battery settings:
Automatic graphics switching - turned off (this is a box with 2 graphics chips)
Put hard disks to sleep when possible - off
Turn display off after - never
Enable Power Nap while on battery power - off

Power Adapter settings:
same as above plus
Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off - on
Wake for Wi-Fi access - off
Enable Power Nap .... - off

--
John

Tudor Vedeanu

I don’t have Parallels installed now, but I think there was a setting to pause the virtual machine if there was no user activity. Look in the Parallels preferences.

~Tudor

John Brown

Frustrating. Find a couple things that look really promising - but no change!

Located in the "Windows 10" Configuration a Startup and Shutdown setting. It was selected to 'Always ready in background' The virtual machine starts automatically ... and pauses when closed or not in use. The pauses when caught my eye and so changed to 'Start up and shut down manually'. Also set Travel Mode to Never.

Found the Apple App Nap and looking at Activity Monitor it showed Conosole as 'Yes'. So performed this using Terminal: defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES
After a restart Activity Monitor did show Console (and everything else) App Nap No

Still no change. 10 minutes and the little blue light in the Airspy HF+ goes off. It shuts down.

Maybe there is another place I should be looking for a Parallels setting?

BTW the GQRX suggestion (wow - a new standard for concise).  Looks as if it was abandoned 2 years ago? And SDRdx also though looking more active at least would appear to be more involved to install than my experience level supports.

One thing I like about SDR Console. It does a nice 'oem' job of installing itself. Even on this vm.
--
John

Juan - EA5XQ

Hi

I have been using SDRDx and Ben is very proactive to help when needed. It works fine with AirSpyServer from Blackcatsystems and even more with DXTools app, a great tool that Chris keep updated. You can be listening a station with SDRDX and with the link to DXTools you can know which one it is. However, just tried installing sdrsharp from AirSpy website, after testing Parallel Desktop. It works fine but I do not see how to identify the station that is transmitting such as SDRDX with DXTools. The Look like is nice, unfortunately licence cost of W10 and Parallel Desktop is too high just for playing with AirSpyHf+, so most likely I will follow with SDRDx (you only could give a donation to Ben for helping him to follow upgrading the software)

Best, Juan
--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
SDRDx

John Brown

The timeout is unique to the Airspy HF+ (so far). I also have an SDRplay RSPdx and installed the software SDRuno and drivers for it. Went well. Brought the RSPdx up under both Uno and then SDRconsole. It's still running after an hour.

The RSPdx installs drivers. The HF+ does not. Could that be the difference? Are there drivers that might make a difference? So far as I can see the drivers in use on the USB while running the HF+ are plain vanilla Windows from 2009 or so.

--
John

andrea ottaviani

Good morning.
I found it useful to disable the power saving of the USB ports.
I attach photos.
Good luck de IK0MMI andrea