locked New firmware update for Airspy R2 and R0 with improved Phase Noise #airspyr2 #firmware #update

prog

Dear Airspy owners,

So, with the COVID19 confinement less wasted time in the commute, I revisited Silicon Labs' ClockBuilder software for the Si5351C, and after a few days of testing, I decided to write my own. This development will be very useful for our next radios, but it can also benefit the existing owners of the Airspy R2 units, so here we are!

Technically, this update further improves the phase noise by using the internal PLLs, counters and feedback loops of the Si5351 in a more optimized way for our use than what ClockBuilder can offer. Furthermore, the 25 MHz TCXO signal is now routed directly to the R820T/2 tuner which eliminates the noise contribution from the Si5351's PLL altogether. The clock feeding the ADC was improved by using one PLL in integer mode with a fancy cycle counting ratio. Now that the tuner is using a 25MHz clock instead of 20MHZ, the potential spurs will be more spaced. The drive level of the clocks was reduced so the spur characteristics were also improved. More details in the code.

The Airspy R2 series were already privileged for their high dynamic range and low phase noise. Now these parameters just got better with a simple firmware update.

Check the firmware download in the product page: https://airspy.com/airspy-r2

Enjoy!

The Airspy Team

f1hdi

Hi

Nice to see those informations and eager to test this improvement very soon.

I'll do with my 'local' R2 as my remote one attached to an odroid can't be upgraded without being on site.

Thank you

Jean-Marc

Le 08/05/2020 à 11:35, prog a écrit :

[...]

jdow

I presume it still locks to a 10 MHz GPSDO output; but, I must ask anyway.

{^_^}

On 20200508 02:35:16, prog wrote:
Dear Airspy owners,
So, with the COVID19 confinement less wasted time in the commute, I revisited Silicon Labs' ClockBuilder software for the Si5351C, and after a few days of testing, I decided to write my own. This development will be very useful for our next radios, but it can also benefit the existing owners of the Airspy R2 units, so here we are!
Technically, this update further improves the phase noise by using the internal PLLs, counters and feedback loops of the Si5351 in a more optimized way for our use than what ClockBuilder can offer. Furthermore, the 25 MHz TCXO signal is now routed directly to the R820T/2 tuner which eliminates the noise contribution from the Si5351's PLL altogether. The clock feeding the ADC was improved by using one PLL in integer mode with a fancy cycle counting ratio. Now that the tuner is using a 25MHz clock instead of 20MHZ, the potential spurs will be more spaced. The drive level of the clocks was reduced so the spur characteristics were also improved. More details in the code <https://github.com/airspy/airspyone_firmware/blob/master/common/airspy_nos_conf.c#L292>.
The Airspy R2 series were already privileged for their high dynamic range and low phase noise. Now these parameters *just got better* with a simple firmware update.
Check the firmware download in the product page: https://airspy.com/airspy-r2
Enjoy!
The Airspy Team

prog

Of course. This path was also optimized using the same techniques.

David J Taylor

Subject: [Special] [airspy] New firmware update for Airspy R2 and R0 with improved Phase Noise #airspyr2 #firmware #update

=======================================

Thanks for the update!

I see it's suitable for R2 and R0, so that's good.

How can I tell the R0 and R2 apart? Is the device number different?

I have two with: Part ID Number: 0x6906002B 0x00000030

so is that R0 or R2?

Thanks,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

prog

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 01:25 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
How can I tell the R0 and R2 apart? Is the device number different?
No. Technically, it's the same hardware.

Steve Jerome <sdjerome@...>

OK, I believe I've run the update via the .bat file ,but when using the 'host tools' file to check it, it still says the previous version is there ?....

Any guidance regarding this update ?

Thanks,

Steve

prog

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 03:16 PM, Steve Jerome wrote:
Any guidance regarding this update ?
1) Plug the device.
2) Run the batch
3) Disconnect/reconnect the device

Airspy US

Did you restart the device? (unplug then plug in)

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...
On 5/8/2020 9:05 AM, Steve Jerome wrote:

OK, I believe I've run the update via the .bat file ,but when using the 'host tools' file to check it, it still says the previous version is there ?...

Any guidance regarding this update ?

Thanks,

Steve

f1hdi

First steps with the new firmware.

It looks like it does affect the freq. Tests condx are:

leo bodnar GPS locked at 144.490500kHz, 80dB atten R2 with ext 10MHz GPS locked also USB mode 10MSPS dec64 piping audio through VAC to spectrumlab   . Before and after the upgrade which take few secs , you see the freq shift.

I'll try now to put 2 R2s on real sigs (one not upgraded) to see if we can measure the improvements on digital modes.

Thank you

Jm

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 04:36 PM, f1hdi wrote:

First steps with the new firmware.

It looks like it does affect the freq. Tests condx are:

leo bodnar GPS locked at 144.490500kHz, 80dB atten R2 with ext 10MHz GPS locked also USB mode 10MSPS dec64 piping audio through VAC to spectrumlab   . Before and after the upgrade which take few secs , you see the freq shift.

I'll try now to put 2 R2s on real sigs (one not upgraded) to see if we can measure the improvements on digital modes.

Thank you

Jm

I don't understand your test. What are you testing? Did you erase the calibration? Did you calibrate the unit?

f1hdi

Hi,

I just made a firmware flash.

The clock is 10MHz external , same before and after

I can provide any details you wish , could be also an access to the setup on my Radio PC.

But, obviously, the Rx spectrum is cleaner.

I will compare side by side with a non upgraded R2

Kindly

Jm

Le 08/05/2020 à 16:38, prog a écrit :

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 04:36 PM, f1hdi wrote:

First steps with the new firmware.

It looks like it does affect the freq. Tests condx are:

leo bodnar GPS locked at 144.490500kHz, 80dB atten R2 with ext 10MHz GPS locked also USB mode 10MSPS dec64 piping audio through VAC to spectrumlab   . Before and after the upgrade which take few secs , you see the freq shift.

I'll try now to put 2 R2s on real sigs (one not upgraded) to see if we can measure the improvements on digital modes.

Thank you

Jm

I don't understand your test. What are you testing? Did you erase the calibration? Did you calibrate the unit?

prog

Note also that the reference clock frequency also changed (20MHz => 25MHz), which could move the actual tuned frequency depending on the frequency. That said the tuning resolution is improved, so you can get closer to where it's supposed to tune. More details here:
https://github.com/airspy/airspyone_firmware/releases/tag/v1.0.0-rc10-6

Glenn Blum

Looks like the upgrade went flawlessly. I will see after I spend more time running my R2.

Thanks,

Glenn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10