Topics

Weird SpyServer Problem ? #spyserver

Edward MacDonald

I have been successfully running SpyServer on my Win10 64 bit computer with no problems for the past couple of months with ONE EXCEPTION.

Sometimes (seemingly random) the when I connect to the spy server from any device, everything seems to be working properly EXCEPT that the SNR level is always max, the spectrum trace is always pegged and there is no audio of any type. nor does any setting change in the SDR# app make any difference.

Here is what SDR# looks like when this happens...

I have played with the settings in SpyServer, still happens. Nothing has changed on Windows. I have tried to host the server on three different machines, with two different SDR dongles and the same thing happens.  Am I doing something wrong or does anyone have any info on this problem?

I have also noticed this same problem when connecting to other peoples SpyServers in some cases. So I am assuming it is not just me that has this problem.

The only thing that seems to correct the problem is a restart of the computer that is hosting the SpyServer (sometimes) OR to remove and re-insert the SDR dongle into a DIFFERENT USB port, however, it still might randomly start doing it again...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian Gregory

You're saying disconnecting and reconnecting (from within SDR#) doesn't fix it?
Which type of SDR dongle are you using?

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 06:26, Edward MacDonald <edwardmacdonald74@...> wrote:
[...]

Rodrigo Pérez

Hi,

Same here with spyserver on raspberry pi 3, raspbian buster and rtf-sdr v3.
Restart spyserver dont solve the problem, I have a crontab to reboot every hour.

Regards

On martes, abr. 07, 2020 at 1:26 a. m., Edward MacDonald <edwardmacdonald74@...> wrote:
[...]

Ah.
As I understand it spyserver and SDR# support for RTl-SDR dongles is experimental and can't be relied on to work.

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 19:37, Rodrigo Pérez <bilson@...> wrote:
[...]

No. Connecting and reconnecting SDR# from the server has no effect. I do not think SDR# is causing the problem.

The only thing that fixes the problem is to remove the dongle from the USB port and insert it into another port, however the problem always comes back.

The dongles I am using are are an RTL-SDR dongle (genuine model not a knockoff) and a Noelec Smart 2.

I have also made sure the USB ports are not going to sleep. I have tried 3 different machines running the SpyServer. I have tried to play with the config for SpyServer. The SpyServer seems to be still functioning properly while this happens as well...

On Tue., Apr. 7, 2020, 12:37 p.m. Rodrigo Pérez, <bilson@...> wrote:
[...]

No, I don't believe that just it being an RTL-SDR dongle is the problem as last night I found to SpyServers on the SpyServer browser which were using AirSpy HF+ which had the same problem. However, today they are working fine.

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 16:14, Brian Gregory <bdgregory@...> wrote:
[...]

I am running fully patched Win 10, SDRSharp 1.0.0.1732 continuously 24/7 playing a local FM station. The only problem I have is on closing the program fails to release the dongle and finish closing. I am using libusb-1.0.dll version 1.0.19.10905. If you are using a different libusb-1.0.dll then hunt around for the one above and try it.

{^_^}

<edwardmacdonald74@... <mailto:edwardmacdonald74@...>> wrote:
[...]

jdow

Additionally I note that I do not have any active plugins installed.
{^_^}

On 20200407 19:39:15, jdow wrote:
[...]

Yes, I get that too. You can fix it by clicking the 1MHz digit up 2 or 3 MHz and then back down before exiting from SDR#. But shouldn't have to do that :(

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 06:34, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
I am running fully patched Win 10, SDRSharp 1.0.0.1732 continuously 24/7 playing
a local FM station. The only problem I have is on closing the program fails to
release the dongle and finish closing. I am using libusb-1.0.dll version
1.0.19.10905. If you are using a different libusb-1.0.dll then hunt around for
the one above and try it.

{^_^}

On 20200407 15:58:45, Edward MacDonald wrote:
> No. Connecting and reconnecting SDR# from the server has no effect. I do not
> think SDR# is causing the problem.
>
> The only thing that fixes the problem is to remove the dongle from the USB port
> and insert it into another port, however the problem always comes back.
>
> The dongles I am using are are an RTL-SDR dongle (genuine model not a knockoff)
> and a Noelec Smart 2.
>
> I have also made sure the USB ports are not going to sleep. I have tried 3
> different machines running the SpyServer. I have tried to play with the config
> for SpyServer. The SpyServer seems to be still functioning properly while this
> happens as well...
>

> On Tue., Apr. 7, 2020, 12:37 p.m. Rodrigo Pérez, <bilson@...
> <mailto:bilson@...>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Same here with spyserver on raspberry pi 3, raspbian buster and rtf-sdr v3.
>     Restart spyserver dont solve the problem, I have a crontab to reboot every hour.
>
>     Regards
>

>         On martes, abr. 07, 2020 at 1:26 a. m., Edward MacDonald
>         <edwardmacdonald74@... <mailto:edwardmacdonald74@...>> wrote:
>         I have been successfully running SpyServer on my Win10 64 bit computer
>         with no problems for the past couple of months with ONE EXCEPTION.
>
>         Sometimes (seemingly random) the when I connect to the spy server from
>         any device, everything seems to be working properly EXCEPT that the SNR
>         level is always max, the spectrum trace is always pegged and there is no
>         audio of any type. nor does any setting change in the SDR# app make any
>         difference.
>
>         Here is what SDR# looks like when this happens...
>
>         I have played with the settings in SpyServer, still happens. Nothing has
>         changed on Windows. I have tried to host the server on three different
>         machines, with two different SDR dongles and the same thing happens.  Am
>         I doing something wrong or does anyone have any info on this problem?
>
>         I have also noticed this same problem when connecting to other peoples
>         SpyServers in some cases. So I am assuming it is not just me that has
>         this problem.
>
>         The only thing that seems to correct the problem is a restart of the
>         computer that is hosting the SpyServer (sometimes) OR to remove and
>         re-insert the SDR dongle into a DIFFERENT USB port, however, it still
>         might randomly start doing it again...
>

>         Any help would be much appreciated.

Edward MacDonald

Thanks JDOW I will try that, perhaps it could be someone using the SpyServer and their copy of SDR# not releasing it properly.

I tried using the Task Scheduler in Win10 to reboot the computer and restart SpyServer, but for some reason, there is a permissions issue running the SpyServer this way and it won't read the config file.

I made an app to watch the USB stack and power to make sure it is not Windows 10 screwing with them.