Topics

The YouLoop antenna is on sale #announcements

prog

We finally managed to get a few hundreds YouLoop units built professionally and shipped to our US distributor as well as RTL-SDR Blog's store. Most of them were already reserved, and we are building a few more. The presentation page is still a "work-in-progress", and we want it as extensive as possible so this development can be useful for the experimenters. I will add more sections based on the feedback we get and the comments in this mailing list.

Shop at AirspyUS: https://v3.airspy.us/product/ant-youloop-1/
Shop at RTL-SDR Blog: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/shop/

- OR -

Build one by yourself: https://airspy.com/youloop

Mike Bott

Mine should arrive tomorrow.  Woohoo!

Thanks!

--
Mike

On 3/20/20 8:04 AM, prog wrote:
We finally managed to get a few hundreds YouLoop units built professionally and shipped to our US distributor as well as RTL-SDR Blog's store. Most of them were already reserved, and we are building a few more. The presentation page is still a "work-in-progress", and we want it as extensive as possible so this development can be useful for the experimenters. I will add more sections based on the feedback we get and the comments in this mailing list.

Shop at AirspyUS: https://v3.airspy.us/product/ant-youloop-1/
Shop at RTL-SDR Blog: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/shop/

- OR -

Build one by yourself: https://airspy.com/youloop

Curt Faulk

Mike:

Of course, many of us out here will be very interested in your early reports on how it performs.

Troy - K4JDA

Whats the best low noise pre-amp to use?

WA8RVD

Got mine today!  It works quite well!   Much better than the 40cm loop that I built.

dave_bunyan

If you can manage a little bit of home construction the 30dB LNA boards on ebay that go for a few dollars work extremely well with a 1.2 m magnetic shielded loop I built a couple of years ago. I just added a 470uH (or 1 mH) axial choke between the rf out and +Vcc for line powering. The board to go for is the one with the round LNA chip. It's worth a go - it should be well under $10. Of course you have to have something to send 12 volts up the coax. I had a 12v/1A linear wall wart so built a really simple DC injector as 'googled'.

dave_bunyan

A couple of questions - which could be answered on your presentation page. Is it suitable for outdoor installation? Is it rigid enough to hold it's shape symmetrically, or would you suggest taping it to a suitably sized plastic hula hoop (65 cm would do it). Would you consider offering an option for a larger loop?

For info: I've built a 1.2 m diameter loop based on the george smart article. It's not the mobius version of his design, but with a cheap 30dB preamp from ebay it works really well. After a life-time of wanting to received North American MW stations and never succeeding in a noisy urban environment I can now get VOCM 590, WOR 710, WBBR 1130 on a regular basis. Not usually at good strengths but amazing for a small antenna. So I'd love to try a mobius version and you done all the hard work with the balun and phasing unit.

prog

Is it suitable for outdoor installation?
It's basically about waterproofing the SMA connectors. Waterproofing tape should be enough for permanent outdoors installation.

Is it rigid enough to hold it's shape symmetrically, or would you suggest taping it to a suitably sized plastic hula hoop (65 cm would do it).
Yes, it's rigid enough.

Would you consider offering an option for a larger loop?
Why not? I can replace the two 1m legs with 2m ones.

with a cheap 30dB preamp from ebay it works really well
Leif SM5BSZ demonstrated a nice video with this antenna about 3 years ago. One interesting aspect is the reduced response to wide band noise compared to a long wire antenna. A simple FET preamp can help the reception dramatically when the loop is used with "standard" HF receivers with high NF. The preamp he built has about 20 dB of gain.
Check this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfc09SwwX8

Mark Pettifor

Thinking of building my own, with some RG213 I have. I have a few of these transformers on hand, but I'm wondering if the loss is too high for this loop design (they are better I think for much larger loops, like outdoor superloop-type antennas):

https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/T16-6T-X65.pdf

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Mark Pettifor

Mike Bott

Edited

I'll try it out tonight for The Mighty KBC on 5960 at 00:00utc.  The unboxing pics can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wutp55i1r66qutp/AABBfAodYelxrQ_vVQjEXs2ca?dl=0   Hope conditions are decent tonight.

I'll keep the above link active for the next week or so,

--
Mike

On 3/20/20 12:39 PM, Curt Faulk wrote:
Mike:

Of course, many of us out here will be very interested in your early reports on how it performs.

prog

Try a lower loss 1:1 transformer.

dave_bunyan

Re: what type of transformer material. I used Amidon BN73-202 PIG NOSE (binocular) transformer to wind a 1:1 balun this was the transformer mentioned in Everett Sharp's articles Got 10 for £5.95 on ebay, because it was all I could get. I tested 2:1 and 1:1 and found 1:1 best.

David

dave_bunyan

Thanks for comments "Prog"

My comment on "reduced noise compared to a log wire". On first testing my loop out in the garden it was - where did all those signals come from ??? "80m and 40m are alive!"  And as I've already said excellent MW DX - best so far is good signals from S Korea and Tiwan at 900 km (5600 miles). And during to 2019 SpE season it gave much better results than 70 MHz dipole when receiving the Eastern European OIRT band (66-74 MHz). And it is really good on the Bnd - apart fom being wide angle bi-directional.

Pre-amp gain of about 20 dB is about right - I have to use a 10 dB attenuator to avoid putting too much signal into the SDR. But at around £6 inc. for a ready made board it was the simplest option.

David

Guy Atkins

I can add my voice to the pleased new users of the YouLoop. Mine came in the mail yesterday (thanks for the quick shipping, AirSpy US!).

I initially was disappointed with what I thought was a faulty YouLoop antenna...I had tried multiple receivers including the HF+ Discovery and different lengths of coax lead-in, and wasn't getting ANY signals, even my local medium wave stations. One of them is as strong as -21 to -13 dBM, depending on which active loop antenna I'm using at the time; I figured at least this station should show up on the YouLoop.

Well, I had jumped to conclusions. After further investigations today I discovered a bad SMA Male to BNC Male adapter! My other two such adapters on hand proved to be just fine and the YouLoop came to life! I'm impressed with this AirSpy antenna considering its passive nature and reasonable cost. This will be a fun antenna to use while traveling and camping, as it is so compact and can be deployed quickly. You can even just drape it over a convenient shrub or branch and it will work well.

So, may my experience be a reminder to others--don't automatically point your finger at an antenna if at first it doesn't seem to work right (or at all). There are other links in the receiving chain, and in my case this small adapter was actually the bad link. The YouLoop itself is fine, and I know others who have bought this antenna will be pleased.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Below is a picture of the SMA adapter type that gave me problems:

Gary

Well…I ordered one a few days ago from the same source…..hope mine shows up sometime this coming week.

Gary

W5GGH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Airspy US

Gary, (and note there is general info for everyone below the first paragraph)

You are very early on Batch 3. We will be reaching out to some in the first two batches (about a dozen) who "pre-ordered" (sent emails expressing interest) and have not yet placed an order. If those units are not ordered/claimed, we will fill pending orders in order and you may be early enough to receive one of those antennas. Aside from that dozen or so, batches 1 and 2 are sold out and shipped. Batch 3 is sold out and awaiting inventory replenishment.

We are currently working on Batch 4 and have about 52 units left in that batch. We will fulfill orders as inventory is received. As most everyone knows, international shipping is not running on a normal schedule currently. But we hope to receive batch 3 (and maybe batch 4) in the next week or two. We will likely order batch 5 very soon.

The run on the YouLoop has been perhaps the largest demand over all previous product releases.

To address a few recurring questions:
* We do not know when the preamplifier will be available.
* We do not know the price of the preamplifier.
* The loop diameter is approximately two feet.

Also please keep in mind the current climate of minimal staff available to process and pack orders. We are not calling in extra help at this time given the desire to keep everyone safe and minimize the chances of exposure to COVID-19 even though we are still in a modestly hit zone (only a few cases in our area with the closest about 10 miles or so away). On the other hand, it's not as if there are a lot of "regular off-hours activities" to take time away from packing orders. But I do not plan on the 20-hour days that we had with the Black Friday blitz either. Our current strategy is to limit contact to only incoming inventory (with a preference that items are left outside using visual approvals), and with the post office clerk when orders are shipped. We MAY limit shipping to three days each week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) to further reduce that contact. But if we have enough orders to justify shipping, we will ship that day even if it is on a Tuesday or Thursday.

We have been looking into UPS as an option for larger orders, but that is in a holding pattern currently.
We are also looking at other options as we all deal with this pandemic.

We expect to be shipping as long as USPS is available, as we have emails from more than one US Federal Government agency who have placed orders stating that they are in "urgent need" of the ordered products. Since there is no time difference to scan one package or one hundred (they are all scanned on a single consolidated shipping form), we see no impact of adding other orders to that delivery. We also fall into more than one category authorized to remain open under current Pennsylvania business closure mandates.

For Airspy SDR stock, we are still looking good for now with the exception of the HF+ Dual Port which is out of stock. We have a pending order of Airspy inventory that we expect soon, but again delivery time is uncertain. All accessories are also in good supply. When things started hitting the fan, we ordered extra stock in anticipation of uncertain availability. Our goal was to get to 200% of normal stock, and we got a good way there on the best sellers.

In case not everyone has heard, the Dayton Hamvention is cancelled this year so we will not be in attendance.

Stay safe everyone. This is a good time to enjoy using Airspy SDRs while we practice social distancing and avoid social activities.
---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...
On 3/22/2020 10:50 PM, Gary wrote:

[...]

Bob Dengler

At 3/23/2020 12:03 AM, you wrote:

To address a few recurring questions:
* We do not know when the preamplifier will be available.
* We do not know the price of the preamplifier.
Assuming the preamplifier is still in development & low noise VLF operation is desired, may I suggest the OPA656 op amp. With input noise of 1.3 fA/(root Hz), it should make a fine preamp for this antenna.

Bob NO6B

Winston

If you need help fulfilling orders from the West Coast, I’m raising my hand.