Topics

Live Linux distro #airspydiscovery

Gregory Schippers

If you want to give it a go, a fellow has put out a live district of Linux, based on Ubuntu over on sourceforge. Search for LinuxSDR,  and you should find it. I tried it real quick, and my HF+ Discovery was recognized, and ran great under GQRX, but Cubic SDR cannot seem to see my device, and I’m not savvy enough to tell it manually the correct info to allow it to see it that way, either. Fun.....and this live DVD allows one to play with Linux without disrupting your Windows install. LOTS of software included by default. Be sure to see the readme.md file about default sound output device, and default pwd. Let me know if you figure out how to tell Cubic SDR how to see my Airspy.
Regards, Greg, KC8HXO

Ian Brooks

Only version 0.25 of Cubic SDR has HF+ support and there seem to be problems running the App Image in Linux. I have used the workaround to get the program going, but it doesn't "see" my HF+. The Windows 64-bit version seems to be OK with my HF+.
Regards, Ian Brooks
Verwood, Dorset, UK.

Gregory Schippers

Thanks Ian. Will investigate further as time permits.
Regards,
Greg, KC8HXO

Gregory Schippers

Ian.... version in this distro is a few versions old. FYI. Not going to work OOTB with HF+.
Thanks again,
Greg, KC8HXO

Gregory Schippers

Now renamed SDRLinux, the author has a new version. I can confirm operation OOTB operation with my HF+ Discovery using GQRX, CubicSDR, and SDR Angel, and that's with the live DVD!  quite impressed.
Greg, KC8HXO

biscegliem

Hello Greg,  can you please post a link for the download? Thanks for the courtesy, regards, Marco

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

I just looked for it. The correct name appears to be SDRLive. But the URL still uses the old linuxsdr name.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsdr/

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:04 PM Gregory Schippers <kc8hxo2@...> wrote:
Now renamed SDRLinux, the author has a new version. I can confirm operation OOTB operation with my HF+ Discovery using GQRX, CubicSDR, and SDR Angel, and that's with the live DVD!  quite impressed.
Greg, KC8HXO

biscegliem

Thanks Shirley!

Gregory Schippers

Yup...my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Kai

I was looking forward to using this on an older laptop with no HDD, but I haven't had any luck burning the ISO yet.

Tried downloading with different browsers on different operating systems, burning to different thumb drives and using different thumb drive file types, with all the above I get an error that the process can't be complete.

Anyone have similar problems?

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:04 PM Gregory Schippers <kc8hxo2@... <mailto:kc8hxo2@...>> wrote:
Now renamed SDRLinux, the author has a new version. I can confirm
operation OOTB operation with my HF+ Discovery using GQRX, CubicSDR,
and SDR Angel, and that's with the live DVD!  quite impressed.
Greg, KC8HXO

michaeld

Yes, I had the same issue, says it is not a bootable ISO.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:04 AM Kai <needconnection@...> wrote:
I was looking forward to using this on an older laptop with no HDD, but
I haven't had any luck burning the ISO yet.

Tried downloading with different browsers on different operating
systems, burning to different thumb drives and using different thumb
drive file types, with all the above I get an error that the process
can't be complete.

Anyone have similar problems?

On 17/03/2020 4:17 pm, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
> I just looked for it. The correct name appears to be SDRLive. But the
> URL still uses the old linuxsdr name.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsdr/
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:04 PM Gregory Schippers <kc8hxo2@...
> <mailto:kc8hxo2@...>> wrote:
>
>     Now renamed SDRLinux, the author has a new version. I can confirm
>     operation OOTB operation with my HF+ Discovery using GQRX, CubicSDR,
>     and SDR Angel, and that's with the live DVD!  quite impressed.
>     Greg, KC8HXO

jdow

What do you see when you plug the disk in with another OS install up and running? If you see a lot of files it probably should work. If you see one file with a name that is the same as the file you burned you did it wrong. Study how to burn an ISO image with the tool you have available. Ask google.
{^_^}

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:04 AM Kai <needconnection@... <mailto:needconnection@...>> wrote:
I was looking forward to using this on an older laptop with no HDD, but
I haven't had any luck burning the ISO yet.
Tried downloading with different browsers on different operating
systems, burning to different thumb drives and using different thumb
drive file types, with all the above I get an error that the process
can't be complete.
Anyone have similar problems?
On 17/03/2020 4:17 pm, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
> I just looked for it. The correct name appears to be SDRLive. But the
> URL still uses the old linuxsdr name.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsdr/
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:04 PM Gregory Schippers <kc8hxo2@...
<mailto:kc8hxo2@...>
> <mailto:kc8hxo2@... <mailto:kc8hxo2@...>>> wrote:
>
>     Now renamed SDRLinux, the author has a new version. I can confirm
>     operation OOTB operation with my HF+ Discovery using GQRX, CubicSDR,
>     and SDR Angel, and that's with the live DVD!  quite impressed.
>     Greg, KC8HXO

Greg Ella

I downloaded this on a Linux machine and burned it to a USB thumb drive.  I've been using Linux almost exclusively
for years, and I'm always making bootable thumb drives in order to try new distros.  This thumb drive would not
boot.  There is a readme file on the thumb drive saying to run a bat file that is in a Linux folder, also on the drive.
That procedure is supposed to make the thumb drive bootable.  I have never seen a requirement like this before,
and I did not try it, because I don't want to run a strange executable on my machine.  Maybe I will try it on a
Raspberry Pi.

Greg Ella
N0EMP

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 7:02 AM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
What do you see when you plug the disk in with another OS install up and
running? If you see a lot of files it probably should work. If you see one file
with a name that is the same as the file you burned you did it wrong. Study how
to burn an ISO image with the tool you have available. Ask google.
{^_^}

On 20200320 10:57:21, michaeld wrote:
> Yes, I had the same issue, says it is not a bootable ISO.
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:04 AM Kai <needconnection@...
> <mailto:needconnection@...>> wrote:
>
>     I was looking forward to using this on an older laptop with no HDD, but
>     I haven't had any luck burning the ISO yet.
>
>     Tried downloading with different browsers on different operating
>     systems, burning to different thumb drives and using different thumb
>     drive file types, with all the above I get an error that the process
>     can't be complete.
>
>     Anyone have similar problems?
>
>     On 17/03/2020 4:17 pm, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
>      > I just looked for it. The correct name appears to be SDRLive. But the
>      > URL still uses the old linuxsdr name.
>      > https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsdr/
>      >
>      > On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:04 PM Gregory Schippers <kc8hxo2@...
>     <mailto:kc8hxo2@...>
>      > <mailto:kc8hxo2@... <mailto:kc8hxo2@...>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     Now renamed SDRLinux, the author has a new version. I can confirm
>      >     operation OOTB operation with my HF+ Discovery using GQRX, CubicSDR,
>      >     and SDR Angel, and that's with the live DVD!  quite impressed.
>      >     Greg, KC8HXO
>      >
>      >

Gregory Schippers

I burned it to DVD. worked perfectly. FWIW.
Greg, KC8HXO

Kai

Yep, I'd try that except the machine I'm installing on doesn't have a DVD drive, there are no external DVD drives in local PC shops and scarce incoming freight due to corona virus lockdown.