moderated EXTIO File for HF+ ?

Guy Atkins

Hello, I've seen some discussion of a EXTIO DLL file for HF+ which one enthusiast has written, but evidently a working HF+ in-hand is still needed to finalize the file.

I know that all the early purchasers like myself are looking forward to using their receiver with their favorite programs. Mine are Studio 1, HDSDR, and occasionally the EXTIO version of SDRuno. Does AirSpy plan to release an "official" DLL and perhaps other supporting files specific to the HF+? I know that these things take time and manpower :^)

73,
   Guy

prog

Edited

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 01:18 pm, <dx@...> wrote:
Hello, I've seen some discussion of a EXTIO DLL file for HF+ which one enthusiast has written, but evidently a working HF+ in-hand is still needed to finalize the file.

I know that all the early purchasers like myself are looking forward to using their receiver with their favorite programs. Mine are Studio 1, HDSDR, and occasionally the EXTIO version of SDRuno. Does AirSpy plan to release an "official" DLL and perhaps other supporting files specific to the HF+? I know that these things take time and manpower :^)

73,
   Guy
We tested Adrea's Extio and we confirm it just works fine with HDSDR.

Now that said, we recommend SDR# for best performance. You will get much better results by using our stack (hardware + software) than any other combination. It's not that we are locking features from other software, we just have a much more refined DSP. You will notice the difference once you have a good radio in hand :-)

I hope you will enjoy it.

Patrick

As a hardcore NDB & MW DXer, I also hope to use my HF+ with Studio 1 because of its very sharp CW filters and superior waterfall readability.
I made some tests using SDR# 1626 on the NDB band (where several beacons can be found within a few Hz) and found it quite poor. For MW carrier monitoring, I also found resolution disappointing (recorded files were used)

Will HF+ and SDR# allow to clearly see several carriers within 10 Hz and separate a couple of beacons within  a few Hz too ? I hope so !

Patrick

prog

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 02:05 pm, Patrick wrote:
As a hardcore NDB & MW DXer, I also hope to use my HF+ with Studio 1 because of its very sharp CW filters and superior waterfall readability.
I made some tests using SDR# 1626 on the NDB band (where several beacons can be found within a few Hz) and found it quite poor. For MW carrier monitoring, I also found resolution disappointing (recorded files were used)

Will HF+ and SDR# allow to clearly see several carriers within 10 Hz and separate a couple of beacons within  a few Hz too ? I hope so !

Patrick
If you don't mind aliases (ie. signals that aren't there) you can use whatever software you wish.

Patrick

I simply wish the combo SDR# HF+ is so great that I won't need other soft for these purposes.

Best regards
Patrick

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 02:12 pm, Patrick wrote:
I simply wish the combo SDR# HF+ is so great that I won't need other soft for these purposes.

Best regards
Patrick
Well. Make it great then! Learn how to use the plethora of plugins available to you - starting from the Aux VFO.
But of course, as long as you are unable to see DSP flaws in software, your perception of "great" will be flawed as well.
Unfortunately, we cannot spend time on producing quality DSP and educate everybody at the same time.

Patrick

Sorry, I'm obviously too stupid to make an assessment here.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 02:12 pm, Patrick wrote:
I simply wish the combo SDR# HF+ is so great that I won't need other soft for these purposes.

Best regards
Patrick
Well. Make it great then! Learn how to use the plethora of plugins available to you - starting from the Aux VFO.
But of course, as long as you are unable to see DSP flaws in software, your perception of "great" will be flawed as well.
Unfortunately, we cannot spend time on producing quality DSP and educate everybody at the same time.

Guy Atkins

Great! Thanks for the information. Is Andrea's EXTIO available in the final, DLL format? I'm not a software geek to know for sure, but it looks to me like his web site only links to the source data and the EXTIO needs compiling by the end user. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology... I just want to be able to download a finished DLL file to place in my software folders.

Like Patrick, I'm also a serious MW DXer. Studio 1 has some serious features of interest to me such as its first-rate synchronous AM detector and waterfall resolution for weak carrier detection. Unfortunately the oft-promised WAV file recording scheduler for Studio 1 never materialized, so I use HDSDR for unattended recording and use Studio 1 for the actual DXing of the recorded files.

I'll be very happy to give SDR# a try for MW DXing once my HF+ receivers arrive, especially if there's IQ WAV file scheduling available.

73, Guy

prog

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 03:03 pm, <dx@...> wrote:
[...]

We implemented our own equivalent of "synchronous AM" with a "Lock Carrier" feature that can be combined with any other mode. It is much less prone to lose lock in weak signals and can be combined with the Anti-fading. The AGC and noise reduction are also optimized to exploit the processing done in these stages.
Some advanced SWLs like London Shortwave use this combination as the main setup for archiving the SW band at the highest fidelity for their project.

Patrick

Hi there !

<< Learn how to use the plethora of plugins available to you - starting from the Aux VFO. >>
What is the point of using the 'Aux VFO' plugin for that specific purpose ???
If you think MW Carrier Monitoring is about monitoring several frequencies running multiples VFOs, you are wrong ...

(to MW fans : any advice on how to properly use SDR# for serious MW offsets survey is welcome)

Have a nice day, and keep on the good work :-)