West coast of Scotland server back up

John

Folks,
Some things fixed after the power outage last week.
New and splendid kevlar cored antenna stretched 100m across the bay.
Winter storm resistant with a bit of luck.
Also - RFI lines on waterfall have gone away - forever we hope.

Airspy 2 + Spyverter:

sdr://tumbril.asuscomm.com:5555/

Very limited internet bandwidth - 4 users only.
For the moment the first user gets to control gain.
The reason for this is that MW and LW are red hot and may need turning down; others up bit perhaps.
Gain opens at '4'
May fix gain in future - suggestions for level appreciated.

Server will go off for some time tomorrow for some cable work and then back on by about 4pm for the the next few weeks at least.
Well that's the plan anyway...

Be handy to know if everything is working satisfactorily.

Thanks,

John

bear

Hi John
new to the group
just a novice
wow you guys have a lot to listen to
all i can say is it works very well over the net
west coast , Australia

Brendan Wahl

Very nice reception up there! Had some hiccups in the audio and waterfall from time to time. Gain seemed to be just fine, but I was checking HF more than LF. Didn't change any operating parameters other than frequency, and I did notice that I did apparently have control of the gain (blue slider).

I'm located on the west coast of the US, just south of the Canadian border in CN88rs.

Brendan WA7HL

(who is waiting on an HF+ to arrive as I type this)

jdow

On 2017-11-19 09:24, Brendan Wahl wrote:

Brendan WA7HL
(who is waiting on an HF+ to arrive as I type this)
Aside from the very few who have one is there anybody not waiting for an HF+?

{^_-} (Being silly and, yes, there are good reasons not to be waiting if HF is not your bag.)

Peter Cumminsky <peterconrad@...>

Hi John,

Started out great on 189KHz, must have been first as I had a "blue" Gain bar. Then, after a while lots of stutter and dropouts and Gain greyed out.

--
| Peter Cumminsky <cummip@gmail.com>
| [http://plus.google.com/+PeterCumminsky]
| "In the future, everyone will have their own boring home
| page." - Andy Warhol overheard chatting with Nico, 1967

john@...

On you're server now John, (10:15pm Scottish time) and it is very choppy. Rate is jumping around from 0 to 110ish Kbs.
Don't have control of the gain so probably not the only user, though I can scan the complete 8 ,000 Mhz bandwidth. (Prog may have changed this without me noticing - do wish he'd use a versioning system!)

John MM5AES.

John

Thanks for feedback folks.

Seemingly it's fine if you are the only one on line.

Unfortunately the 'broad' band up-link can be very slow.
And the exchange is a long way away from the shack.-

These settings are applied:
fft-fps-10
buffer-size-ms=100
buffer - count=16

Not sure what else to do - except perhaps reduce the number of users from 4 to 2.

Inclined to leave the gain adjustable at present.

Suggestions welcome.

Sadly the server may not be a long-term proposition if the signal continues so choppy.
Not until satellite gets a lot cheaper or we get a microwave link to the island anyway.

Will the HF+ take more or less bandwidth, I wonder.

(Note to self - order a velvet cushion and gold plated USB lead.)

John.

claudio36itus

Hi John

just back from my holidays, I tried again your server but it seems not connected...
Are you still facing issues ?

Thanks

73

Claudio ( Glasgow)

John

Another power outage.
Auto reboot failure.
Remote shack - will get to it on Friday.
Sadly, until the broadband uplink is improved, things are always going to be hit and miss.

John - tumbril.asuscomm.com
The Tumbril Server mission statement? - 'Reliably Unreliable'

claudio36itus

Hi John

do you think that the server will be up for this weekend?

thanks a lot

73

Claudio

John

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 12:47 am, claudio36itus wrote:
Hi John

do you think that the server will be up for this weekend?

thanks a lot

73 Claudio

Server will be on and off until about 5pm tomorrow when on full-time for a few weeks or until the next power cut.
If anyone can tell me how to make a Dell Optiplex 390 running windows 10 reboot after a power cut it would improve things.
(Can't get into BIOS on start-up with either F2 or F12.)

Though pathetic upload speeds through rain soaked BT string and exchange-in-a-caravan will continue to be the main limiting factor.

Trudge.

John - tumbril.asuscomm.com

PMM

Getting into bios can be funny, if F2 not work at dell logo, keep eye on keyboard and F2 when the keyboard lights flash. If you get into bios. If you get in there is an option.in the power settings to power it back on after power failure or at a set time if your choosing.

On 2 Dec 2017 23:40, "John" <contact@...> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 12:47 am, claudio36itus wrote:
Hi John

do you think that the server will be up for this weekend?

thanks a lot

73 Claudio

Server will be on and off until about 5pm tomorrow when on full-time for a few weeks or until the next power cut.
If anyone can tell me how to make a Dell Optiplex 390 running windows 10 reboot after a power cut it would improve things.
(Can't get into BIOS on start-up with either F2 or F12.)

Though pathetic upload speeds through rain soaked BT string and exchange-in-a-caravan will continue to be the main limiting factor.

Trudge.

John - tumbril.asuscomm.com

jdow

Tried the delete key or alt-F1 (or alt- other F keys like alt-F2?)

{^_^}

On 2017-12-02 15:40, John wrote:
On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 12:47 am, claudio36itus wrote:
Hi John
do you think that the server will be up for this weekend?
thanks a lot
73 Claudio
Server will be on and off until about 5pm tomorrow when on full-time for a few weeks or until the next power cut.
If anyone can tell me how to make a Dell Optiplex 390 running windows 10 reboot after a power cut it would improve things.
(Can't get into BIOS on start-up with either F2 or F12.)
Though pathetic upload speeds through rain soaked BT string and exchange-in-a-caravan will continue to be the main limiting factor.
Trudge.
John - tumbril.asuscomm.com

jdow

Yes indeedy - wait for the keyboard to blink and then immediately hit the keys that are supposed to work and the "traditional" delete key or alt-F key
{^_^}

On 2017-12-02 16:31, PMM wrote:
Getting into bios can be funny, if F2 not work at dell logo, keep eye on keyboard and F2 when the keyboard lights flash. If you get into bios. If you get in there is an option.in <http://option.in> the power settings to power it back on after power failure or at a set time if your choosing.
On 2 Dec 2017 23:40, "John" <contact@tumbril.co.uk <mailto:contact@tumbril.co.uk>> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 12:47 am, claudio36itus wrote:
Hi John
do you think that the server will be up for this weekend?
thanks a lot
73 Claudio
Server will be on and off until about 5pm tomorrow when on full-time for a
few weeks or until the next power cut.
If anyone can tell me how to make a Dell Optiplex 390 running windows 10
reboot after a power cut it would improve things.
(Can't get into BIOS on start-up with either F2 or F12.)
Though pathetic upload speeds through rain soaked BT string and
exchange-in-a-caravan will continue to be the main limiting factor.
Trudge.
John - tumbril.asuscomm.com <http://tumbril.asuscomm.com>

John

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 05:30 pm, jdow wrote:
Yes indeedy - wait for the keyboard to blink and then immediately hit the keys that are supposed to work and the "traditional" delete key or alt-F key
{^_^}
Okay, That's working. Thanks.
Computer reboots and server starts up as well.
Windows oddly Delphic when it came to putting Spyserver shortcut into start-up menu.
Sorted out eventually - keyboard-shaped bruises in forehead notwithstanding.
Number of users limited to three - because of rubbishy upload speed along the wet wool into the dark.
Latency around 500ms and U/L speed often less that 0.5 Mbps...

Best if you are first to log on as you get to control gain and frequency range.

Antenna is a sort of inverted L - 90m horizontal - (WNW from shack) - 8m vertical 9:1 UMB and multiple earth rods.
10m low loss coax Airspy 2 and verter.

Wish there was a log counter to get some idea of how worthwhile it would be to keep it going long term.

One could sit and watch the screen all day I suppose...

John - tumbril.asuscomm.com

claudio36itus

Hi John

I think that your server is still  down!
Do you think that you can fix it again?

Thanks

Claudio ( Glasgow)

John

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 07:10 am, claudio36itus wrote:
Hi John

I think that your server is still  down!
Do you think that you can fix it again?

Thanks

Claudio ( Glasgow)
Was fine until recent storm.  High winds knocked over one of the masts.
Will take several weeks to repair - so server off for now.
Update in due course.

John.

Greg Whynott

Wish there was a log counter to get >some idea of how worthwhile it would >be to keep it going long term.
Hi John , you could install a netflow collector perhaps. Manage engine use to offer one for free single interface use. There are many others including open source solutions.

This will tell you how many unique people connected, from where, Duration of use and data amounts transferred.

Greg.

claudio36itus

Hi John

any news ?I hope that soon your set up will ready again!

73

Claudio

John

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:51 am, claudio36itus wrote:
Hi John

any news ?I hope that soon your set up will ready again!

73

Claudio
Thanks for interest
News from possibly the most unreliable and slow server on the forum on an island on the edge of the Atlantic miles from the telephone exchange which anyway gets very damp.

The antenna is normally stretched across a bay about 10m AMSL.
One of the masts - that furthest from the shack is built on a sort of plinth in inhabitable marshland where the ground is soft.
A fierce gale at new year pushed it over.
This coming weekend I hope to instal a slightly higher aluminium mast with better footings and re-string the wire.
So - we should be serving - albeit with very poor internet bandwidth - by Sunday.
If the met is foul it will take longer.
I'll keep you posted.

John.