Topics

New SpyServer optimizations and features #spyserver

prog

Version 2.0.1622 adds some QoS management to enable smoother streaming (uses packet prioritization).
Direct Sampling mode for RTL-SDR was added (not tested).

Gary

Very nice.....now if we just had client app for Android(watch app on twitter!) I could access servers from my cell phone ;) .........all I want for Christmas is an Android app :) .........oh well......I can dream.

gary
w5ggh

Aldo

Rtl-sdr direct sampling work fine!
Available UNTIL tonight, my raspberry/rtl-sdr v3 /Ala1530.
0-8MHz
sdr://151.20.181.90:5555

Aldo

Il 14/nov/2017 00:56, "prog" <info@...> ha scritto:
Version 2.0.1622 adds some QoS management to enable smoother streaming (uses packet prioritization).
Direct Sampling mode for RTL-SDR was added (not tested).

Martin - G8JNJ

Hi,

I can also confirm that the RTL-SDR direct sampling mode works very well.

Thanks for implementing this, it will be very useful.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

john@...

Hi Prog, thanks for you're work on this,

You seem to have broken normal mode for me. Tried on both a raspberry pi 3 and and orange pi PC, both of which work with previous versions. Using RTL-SDR.com V3.
If I try to connect when rtl_sampling_mode is either commented out or set to 0 then  I cant connect with an error from SDR# 1622
'Server didn't send the device capability and syncronisation info'
This is what the server reports :-

Accepted client 192.168.55.101:57944 running SDR# v1.0.0.1622 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Device was sleeping. Wake up!
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Disabled direct sampling mode
Acquired the device
Client disconnected: 192.168.55.101:57944
No clients using the device. Sleeping...
Released the device

If I set rtl_sampling_mode to 1 or 2 I do get connected but obviously in the wrong mode.

Thanks
John mm5aes.

Marco Johansson

Direct Sampling mode for RTL-SDR was added

Thank you so much!

I have now tested this and found it working perfectly. Works OOB - responsive, no crashes of SDR# (like RTL_TCP). As I do not have (yet!) enough savings for HF+ this was the second best Xmas gift I can get related to SDR's :-P

-Mac

prog

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 03:57 am, <john@...> wrote:
You seem to have broken normal mode for me.
Update everything and you should be up and running like everybody.

Roberto Zinelli

Aldo, your server work very well... surprise for me clear signal on 7 Mhz with RTL-SDR dongle .. you have a frontend filter added or direct connection with Ala1530?  Witch band in  your internet connection?

73 IW4ENS Roberto

prog

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 05:42 am, Roberto Zinelli wrote:
Aldo, your server work very well... surprise for me clear signal on 7 Mhz with RTL-SDR dongle .. you have a frontend filter added or direct connection with Ala1530?  Witch band in  your internet connection?

73 IW4ENS Roberto
Sampling at 8bit @ 2.4 MSPS and decimating to 9.375 kSPS gets you 8 + 4 = 12 bits of resolution with ENOB very close to 12, which roughly what a good 14bit ADC would give you at the same final sample rate. Add some filtering and it should be perfectly usable as a budget receiver. That's basically what other 12 bit radios do.

Peter Cumminsky <peterconrad@...>

<<<
From: Aldo <mailto:iw2dzx@gmail.com?subject=Re:%20New%20SpyServer%20optimizations%20and%20features>

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 01:57:51 PST

Rtl-sdr direct sampling work fine!
Available UNTIL tonight, my raspberry/rtl-sdr v3 /Ala1530.
0-8MHz
sdr://151.20.181.90:5555 <http://151.20.181.90:5555>

Aldo

Working well here Aldo. Haven't tried my local dongles - no suitable antenna at present and am in a VERY noisy location (Apartment complex).

--

- Peter Conrad Cumminsky: <peterconrad@yahoo.com>
- My Homepage: [http://peterconrad.tripod.com]

john@...

Full update / upgrade cycle on both systems. Same issue. Interestingly, same setup but with a spyvert 2 works perfectly... Odd.
Will stick a clean raspbian install on a card later and try it.

prog

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 06:26 am, <john@...> wrote:
Full update / upgrade cycle on both systems. Same issue. Interestingly, same setup but with a spyvert 2 works perfectly... Odd.
Will stick a clean raspbian install on a card later and try it.
Yep. A clean install always helps. You only need to change these settings:

device_type = RTL-SDR
initial_frequency = 7100000
rtl_sampling_mode = 2

Aldo

Hi Roberto,
I don't have frontend filter today.
Actual setup:
Ala1530> RTL-SDR V3> Raspberry pi3 (with linear power supply)> ethernet Lan > 20/100 VDSL.
Add 15dB attenuator overnight.

Aldo

Il 14/nov/2017 14:42, "Roberto Zinelli" <roberto.zinelli@...> ha scritto:
Aldo, your server work very well... surprise for me clear signal on 7 Mhz with RTL-SDR dongle .. you have a frontend filter added or direct connection with Ala1530?  Witch band in  your internet connection?

73 IW4ENS Roberto

Jon Fear

Hi Aldo

What initial gain did you use on your v3? When I tried mine with the Wellbrook, the front end was swamped. If I can get this right, we may have another online tonight. t will be replaced when the HF+ arrives....

Thanks

Jon

Martin - G8JNJ

Hi Jon,

You can't adjust the gain in direct sampling mode.

The only fix is to put an attenuator between the antenna and Dongle.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

prog

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 09:16 am, Martin wrote:
Hi Jon,

You can't adjust the gain in direct sampling mode.

The only fix is to put an attenuator between the antenna and Dongle.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
Indeed. I rebuilt the server to disable the gain setting when in direct sampling mode. v2.0.1623.

Jon Fear

...And there was I thinking all was good on 1622! Downloading 1623 now...

As for an attenuator, oops, not got one....Time for some more home brew building. Anyone got any good designs that I can knock up?

Still the HF+ will be here soon...

VHF from Weston super Mare will be online later (87.50MHz through 150MHz).

BW

Jon

prog

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 09:55 am, Jon Fear wrote:
..And there was I thinking all was good on 1622! Downloading 1623 now...

As for an attenuator, oops, not got one....Time for some more home brew building. Anyone got any good designs that I can knock up?

Still the HF+ will be here soon...

VHF from Weston super Mare will be online later (87.50MHz through 150MHz).

BW

Jon
Here's the funny part: https://twitter.com/lambdaprog/status/930489661063036931

Jon Fear

Wow! Still won't be long and then the Wellbrook will be put to good use....

1623 installed and running, just a few tests now.

Thanks for everything Youssef.

Martin - G8JNJ

Edited

Hi Jon,

The Wellbrook tends to have a high output on the lower frequencies.

You could try adding something like a 100pF capacitor in series with the RF feed to the RTL-SDR as a very crude amplitude equaliser.

This will roll off the gain at 2MHz by about 20dB and 1dB at 30MHz but will still be OK for MF reception as the natural noise floor tends to dominate on the lower frequencies. If the attenuation is to much try a slightly larger value of capacitor until you find a happy compromise.

Here's a link to an online attenuator calculator.

https://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/attenuator-calculator

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ