Mini (And silent) PC for Airspy R2 Under Windows (7 or 10)

Ruben Navarro Huedo (EA5BZ)

Hello friends:
I am looking for a MINI-PC (mini in size) to run Airspy R2 under Windows (7 or 10).
Have you any experience with this?
There are a lot of alternatives.
https://www.amazon.es/X5-Z8350-Dual-Band-Ethernet-directamente-Technology/dp/B074CS4TMF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506087568&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+pc&psc=1
Asus: https://www.amazon.es/Asus-Vivomini-UN45-VM014M-Ordenador-Sobremesa/dp/B01C3O2C1A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506087568&sr=8-7&keywords=mini+pc
I will run mainly NOAA and Meteor M2 Software (WXTOIMG, SDRSHARP and Meteor Plugins)
Thank's for your opinions.

Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...>

I have a few Intel NUCs I use for supporting SDRs (although not Airspy). They are well built and can run off 12VDC if you want. They use "U" (portable) processors.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
World's Northernmost DX-er

Jos Mols <jos.mols2@...>

Hi Ruben
I use MINIX Z83-4 as dedicated SDR PC. Tested with HPSDR & SDR Console version 2 and version 3. Using Elad FDM S2.
Works very well.
Windos 10, 4 G mem, quad core, no fans, 12V supply.
Running SDR-Console loads COU to 30%. Power consumption is then 6Watts including feeding the Elad.
Jos

Larry Dighera <larry@...>

https://www.amazon.es/X5-Z8350-Dual-Band-Ethernet-directamente-Technology/dp/B074CS4TMF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506087568&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+pc&psc=1 ( https://www.amazon.es/X5-Z8350-Dual-Band-Ethernet-directamente-Technology/dp/B074CS4TMF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506087568&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+pc&psc=1 )
Asus: https://www.amazon.es/Asus-Vivomini-UN45-VM014M-Ordenador-Sobremesa/dp/B01C3O2C1A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506087568&sr=8-7&keywords=mini+pc ( https://www.amazon.es/Asus-Vivomini-UN45-VM014M-Ordenador-Sobremesa/dp/B01C3O2C1A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506087568&sr=8-7&keywords=mini+pc )
I will run mainly NOAA and Meteor M2 Software (WXTOIMG, SDRSHARP and Meteor Plugins)
Thank's for your opinions.
I have found this small single-board computer to very stable, feature
rich, and consumes very little power (suitable for battery operation).

From: UDOO <mailnews@udoo.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 7:06:19 +0200

The UDOO team is pleased to announce that the UDOO X86 family of maker
boards are now available to purchase directly from their shop, after
successfully shipping over five-thousand boards. The crowdfunded
open-spec board, combining the computational power of a Quad-Core
64-bit Intel® microprocessor, and the flexibility of the famous
Arduino prototyping platform, in using a Intel® Curie™ Arduino™
101-compatible microcontroller to connect to the physical world.

This year’s ‘Hacker Board Survey’ undertaken by Linux.com and
LinuxGizmos, revealed much greater interest in x86-based boards, with
the UDOO X86 already achieving the top position in this segment.
By utilising the x86 ecosystem, the board is capable of running
Windows, Android and Linux, including Ubuntu 17.04, and the recently
released Debian 9 “Stretch”. Combining this with the extensive board
documentation, schematics, and a large supportive community—Users can
quickly get started on their applications and projects.

The application scenarios for UDOO X86 vary from pure multimedia,
allowing for example to create a Kodi media system, to desktop
replacement and workstation purposes, or even as a game-streaming
machine and retrogaming, for example, Retropie.
With an onboard Arduino UNO pin compatible header, the shield options
are endless, providing the user with an easy to follow approach of
adding features, from a motor shield to an Arduino Touchscreen.

The board contains an integrated Intel GPU able to drive up to three
4K screens at the same time, supporting DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.4, and
OpenCL 2.0, with hardware decoding of HEVC Main, and H.264 videos.
It can also boot from everywhere and gives freedom of expansion and
storage, with several options like SATA, SSD, Micro SD, and embedded
eMMC. The microcontroller is capable of powering on and off the board.
UDOO X86 comes in four models – Basic, Advanced, Advanced Plus and
Ultra – all based on the Intel x86 64-bit Quad Core Braswell range of
processors.

UDOO X86 Basic, with 2 GB of RAM, costs $125, while the most powerful
variant, UDOO X86 ULTRA, based on an Intel Pentium N3710 with 8 GB of
RAM and up to 2.56 GHz CPU, is $267.

Order the UDOO X86 now! https://shop.udoo.org/x86.html

https://shop.udoo.org/usa/x86/udoo-x86-advanced-plus.html

UDOO X86 ADVANCED PLUS

PRICE $165.00 escl TAX/VAT

FEATURES
UDOO X86 is the New PC: the most powerful x86 maker board ever and an
Arduino™ 101-compatible platform, all embedded on the same board.

On UDOO X86 you can run all the software available for the PC world,
from gaming to video streaming, from graphical editors to professional
development platforms, plus all the software or the Arduino™ 101
world, including all the sketches, libraries and the official Arduino™
101 IDE.

You won’t ever worry about lack of drivers or stuff like that. This is
a true next-generation computer.

It is based on Quad Core 64-bit new-generation x86 processors made by
Intel®, designed for the PC domain. Prodigious processors concentrated
in 14 nm, with an amount of energy consumption of 5 or 6 Watt.

The board can be powered by a DC-jack with a standard 5.5mm/2.1mm
barrel jack, internal positive, Voltage 12V ± 5%. This is not
included. Alternatively, power can be provided though the VIN pin
located on the header.

UDOO X86 ADVANCED PLUS includes Screw/Spacers to mount the M.2 SSD and
M.2 Wifi/BT.

You can check out our Kickstarter Campaign.
Download the UDOO X86 datasheet here.

LIST OF COMPONENTS
- 1x UDOO X86 ADVANCED PLUS

- 1x M.2 Key B (2260) kit:

1x flat head screw M3x12mm
1x round spacer 6mm
1x washer 0.5 mm
1x nut M3

- 1x M.2 Key E (2230) kit:

1x flat head screw M3x8mm
1x round spacer 2mm
1x washer 0.5 mm
1x nut M3

FULL SPECS INTEL BRASWELL SOC
processore Processor CPU Intel Celeron N3160 2.24 Ghz
processore Cores 4
memory Memory 4 GB DDR3L Dual Channel
graphics Graphics Intel HD Graphics 400
Up to 640 MHz
12 execution units
video Video Interfaces 1x HDMI
2x miniDP++ connectors
storage Mass Storage 32GB eMMC storage
Standard SATA connector
M.2 Key B SSD slot
Micro SD card slot
networking Networking Gigabit Ethernet connector
M.2 Key E slot for optional Wireless modules
usb USB 3 x USB 3.0 type-A sockets
graphics Multimedia HW Video decode: H.265/HEVC,
H264, MPEG2, MVC, VC-1, WMV9, JPEG, VP8;
HW Video encode: H.264, MVC, JPEG
audio Audio Microphone + Headphone combo connector
Speaker internal header
S/PDIF output
serial Serial Ports 2x UART ports
other Other Interfaces IR interface
LPC - 2 x I2C - GPIOs - Touch Screen
Management signals on expansion connector
RTC Battery + Connector Included
pins Digital I/O Pins Up to 20 extended GPIOs, multiplexed
with other interfaces
os Operating System Windows 10, 8.1, 7
Any Linux Distribution for X86 platform
Android
dimensions Dimensions 120mm x85mm (4.72" x 3.35")

INTEL CURIE MICROCONTROLLER
processore Processor Intel Quark SE core 32 MHz plus 32-bit
ARC core 32 MHz
networking Networking Bluetooth Low Energy
other Other Interfaces SPI Flash JTAG connector
arduino Arduino Pinout Arduino 101-Compatible and compatible
with most Arduino Shields.
pins Digital I/O Pins 14 (PWM)
pins Analog I/O Pins 6 (10 Bits of resolution)
temperature Sensors 6-axis combo sensor with accelerometer
and gyroscope
* The communications between the Braswell SOC and the CurieTM SOC come
through a USB interface, exactly like Arduino 101 / Genuino 101 boards
connect to external PCs.

Ruben Navarro Huedo (EA5BZ)

A lot of thank's.

I will study it :-)

phil Daniels

Larry,

Are you going to volunteer to build a UDOO-Airspy w/ LCD (touchscreen)?

Sounds like a fun task to plow forth with.

Phil - KC5TM

From: UDOO <mailnews@...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 7:06:19 +0200

[...]

http://www.linkedin.com/in/phildan

Larry Dighera <larry@...>

Hello Phil,

I have tested the Airspy Spyverter under Debian X86 64-bit Linux Stretch and
Windows 10 on the Udoo X86 Advanced Plus, albeit with a 27" display, and it
runs without issues. A 7" touch LCD display is available:
https://shop.udoo.org/usa/catalog/product/view/id/93/s/7inch-hdmi-usb-display-touch/category/15/
but I think I'd find it a bit too small for my current visual acuity.
I have also tested DXLab connected to an Icom IC-7300, and fldigi with the
little Udoo board. The low power consumption makes the Udoo X86 a good
choice for battery portable operation.

Have fun.

Larry

From: UDOO <mailnews@udoo.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 7:06:19 +0200

[...]

Thanks for that input Larry.  That's what I wanted to hear. I'll probably pursue the UDOO for my next fun project.

Phil - KC5TM

wrote:

> [...]
>> Any Linux Distribution for X86 platform
>> Android
>> dimensions      Dimensions      120mm x85mm (4.72" x 3.35")
>>

>> INTEL CURIE MICROCONTROLLER
>> processore      Processor       Intel Quark SE core 32 MHz plus 32-bit
>> ARC core 32 MHz
>> networking      Networking      Bluetooth Low Energy
>> other   Other Interfaces        SPI Flash JTAG connector
>> arduino         Arduino Pinout  Arduino 101-Compatible and compatible
>> with most Arduino Shields.
>> pins    Digital I/O Pins        14 (PWM)
>> pins    Analog I/O Pins         6 (10 Bits of resolution)
>> temperature     Sensors         6-axis combo sensor with accelerometer
>> and gyroscope
>> * The communications between the Braswell SOC and the CurieTM SOC come
>> through a USB interface, exactly like Arduino 101 / Genuino 101 boards

Ruben Navarro Huedo (EA5BZ)

Have you tried R2 at 10msps?