Receive loop antenna - has anyone built this?

ian.board@...

I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

Tom Frobase

I have built a surface mount board for this, fits in a pelican box, in the process of assembling it ... tom, N3LLL

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Ian Board <ian.board@...> wrote:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

Ian Board <ian.board@...>

Did you actually lay out a board for this?
Did you ever fire up  breadboard version of it? It looks like a fairly well thought out design.

- Ian

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Tom Frobase <tfrobase@...> wrote:
I have built a surface mount board for this, fits in a pelican box, in the process of assembling it ... tom, N3LLL

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Ian Board <ian.board@...> wrote:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

doug

On 08/29/2017 02:51 PM, Tom Frobase wrote:
I have built a surface mount board for this, fits in a pelican box, in the process of assembling it ... tom, N3LLL

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Ian Board <ian.board@...> wrote:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

_
If you have a single-layer layout, I's sure like a copy of the design, or or you going to perhaps sell boards?

Doug, WA2SAY

Hans J Albertsson

I'm aware of two groups of swedish hams having built 1m dia loop setups for their RX rigs, using lz1aq's amp and copper tubes or alu-pex hotwater tubing. They were very happy with the results.

Look at the active-antenna.eu site, for a ready-made amplifier set and more complete instructions.

It's wize to anticipate using cat7 rather than cat5e for cable runs beyond say 20m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 29 aug. 2017 9:45 em skrev "Ian Board" <ian.board@...>:

I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

Hans J Albertsson

Info on these group efforts and the perceived and measured results  were presented in 2013 and 2015 in the swedish ham magazine QTC.
In swedish, unfortunately.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 8:54 fm skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:

I'm aware of two groups of swedish hams having built 1m dia loop setups for their RX rigs, using lz1aq's amp and copper tubes or alu-pex hotwater tubing. They were very happy with the results.

Look at the active-antenna.eu site, for a ready-made amplifier set and more complete instructions.

It's wize to anticipate using cat7 rather than cat5e for cable runs beyond say 20m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 29 aug. 2017 9:45 em skrev "Ian Board" <ian.board@...>:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

Hans J Albertsson

If I remember correctly, they were surprised at how well the loops worked.

Sort of they no longer missed out on any far away replies to calls they made on Ham bands all the way from the 80 m band to 10 m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 09:51 skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:

Info on these group efforts and the perceived and measured results  were presented in 2013 and 2015 in the swedish ham magazine QTC.
In swedish, unfortunately.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 8:54 fm skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:
I'm aware of two groups of swedish hams having built 1m dia loop setups for their RX rigs, using lz1aq's amp and copper tubes or alu-pex hotwater tubing. They were very happy with the results.

Look at the active-antenna.eu site, for a ready-made amplifier set and more complete instructions.

It's wize to anticipate using cat7 rather than cat5e for cable runs beyond say 20m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 10:55 skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:

If I remember correctly, they were surprised at how well the loops worked.

Sort of they no longer missed out on any far away replies to calls they made on Ham bands all the way from the 80 m band to 10 m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 09:51 skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:
Info on these group efforts and the perceived and measured results  were presented in 2013 and 2015 in the swedish ham magazine QTC.
In swedish, unfortunately.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 8:54 fm skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:
I'm aware of two groups of swedish hams having built 1m dia loop setups for their RX rigs, using lz1aq's amp and copper tubes or alu-pex hotwater tubing. They were very happy with the results.

Look at the active-antenna.eu site, for a ready-made amplifier set and more complete instructions.

It's wize to anticipate using cat7 rather than cat5e for cable runs beyond say 20m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 29 aug. 2017 9:45 em skrev "Ian Board" <ian.board@...>:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

Martin - G8JNJ

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:44 pm, Ian Board wrote:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening.
Hi Ian,

This is the LZ1AQ loop amplifier we have been discussing for the past few days, it was mentioned much earlier in the thread :-)

It's quite a simple circuit and you don't really need to build it on a printed circuit board.

I've made several 'dead bug' style, and it only takes about 2 hours to construct at the most.

http://www.g8jnj.net/activeantennas.htm

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Gymnae

I've build one of those with alu-plex hotwater tubing. It's set up outside my balcony on the 5th floor downtown a major German city and just yesterday I received "Voice of America" from Manila (freaking 10.000km away) lout and clear on my sdrplay rsp1. Amazing antenna.

I can't wait for the Airspy HF+ to become available to really dive into DX.

Ian Board <ian.board@...>

Det ar bra att jag talar svenska.

- Ian

On 08/30/2017 12:51 AM, Hans J Albertsson wrote:
Info on these group efforts and the perceived and measured results  were presented in 2013 and 2015 in the swedish ham magazine QTC.
In swedish, unfortunately.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 8:54 fm skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:
I'm aware of two groups of swedish hams having built 1m dia loop setups for their RX rigs, using lz1aq's amp and copper tubes or alu-pex hotwater tubing. They were very happy with the results.

Look at the active-antenna.eu site, for a ready-made amplifier set and more complete instructions.

It's wize to anticipate using cat7 rather than cat5e for cable runs beyond say 20m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 29 aug. 2017 9:45 em skrev "Ian Board" <ian.board@...>:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

Hans J Albertsson

Där ser man! Varför har du lärt dig svenska, eller fanns det tvingande skäl?

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 20:25 skrev "Ian Board" <ian.board@...>:

Det ar bra att jag talar svenska.

- Ian

On 08/30/2017 12:51 AM, Hans J Albertsson wrote:
Info on these group efforts and the perceived and measured results  were presented in 2013 and 2015 in the swedish ham magazine QTC.
In swedish, unfortunately.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 8:54 fm skrev "Hans J Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson@...>:
I'm aware of two groups of swedish hams having built 1m dia loop setups for their RX rigs, using lz1aq's amp and copper tubes or alu-pex hotwater tubing. They were very happy with the results.

Look at the active-antenna.eu site, for a ready-made amplifier set and more complete instructions.

It's wize to anticipate using cat7 rather than cat5e for cable runs beyond say 20m.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 29 aug. 2017 9:45 em skrev "Ian Board" <ian.board@...>:
I found this   (  http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm  ) while looking for a buildable active loop antenna for HF listening. The BOM cost is  cheap and I liked certain aspects of the design (the common base input, use of CAT5 cable for power and signal, etc...). My intention was to lay out a small PCB (keeping size and layer count within the cheap introductory offers from the likes of expressPCB). I'm about halfway through and don't currently have the time to finish this.

I was wondering if anyone else has built and tried it and how it worked out.

- Ian

prog

English please! Or should I start writing in Arabic too?

Hans J Albertsson

We were just discussing how, by pure chance, Ian could actually read the two issues of the swedish QST.

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5

Den 30 aug. 2017 20:55 skrev "prog" <info@...>:

English please! Or should I start writing in Arabic too?

Ivan Boring

Yes! Write only in arabic, please. Or not at all, because of your nonexistant social skills.

prog <info@...> skrev: (30 augusti 2017 20:55:31 CEST)

English please! Or should I start writing in Arabic too?

--
Skickat från min Android-telefon med K-9 E-post. Ursäkta min fåordighet.

Anders J. Ørts

Ivan
In Denmark we have a saying, that if you don't like the smell in the bakery, you're free to leave.
You ask the baker to stop baking!
I like the bread.
/Anders

Marco Melandri

Here we say... did you learn social skills at Oxford or Cambrige?
shame!

prog

سير تقود

Roberto Zinelli

"Walk leads". "Cavalieri a piedi".

The meaning is like in Frenc
"Chevalier sans cheval" ?

Buona giornata a tutti
Roberto

Inviato da OldPhone

Il giorno 31 ago 2017, alle ore 11:30, prog <info@sdrsharp.com> ha scritto:

سير تقود

prog

Of course, none of these translations are correct. Just an example of how painful it is to follow discussions using a translator.