SDR applications that support HD-Radio : was New review of the Airspy R2 for FM DX

David Ranch

Thanks for the link as that was an interesting read.  That does bring up a question that I've been unable to find an answer to:

   Why don't any SDR applications ideally on Linux (Gqrx) but even on WIndows programs (SDR#, SDR-Console, etc) support HD-Radio?

Is this a licensing issue?  Couldn't this be resolved via a commercial plug-in?  Maybe there is some available software that CAN do this?

--David
KI6ZHD

Alan Melia

Hi David could it be an NIH syndrome ......it is a "Local" mode and I think the s/w you mention is predominantly generated in Europe, and I guess we dont have it here. Needs a clever US coder to get to work. :-))

Alan
G3NYK

Thanks for the link as that was an interesting read.  That does bring up a question that I've been unable to find an answer to:

   Why don't any SDR applications ideally on Linux (Gqrx) but even on WIndows programs (SDR#, SDR-Console, etc) support HD-Radio?

Is this a licensing issue?  Couldn't this be resolved via a commercial plug-in?  Maybe there is some available software that CAN do this?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2017 03:25 AM, prog wrote:
https://fmradiodx.wordpress.com/2017/08/06/review-of-the-airspy-r2-sdr-radio/

Simon Brown

Well,

Apart from the pure legality there are many hours involved.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Thanks for the link as that was an interesting read.  That does bring up a question that I've been unable to find an answer to:

   Why don't any SDR applications ideally on Linux (Gqrx) but even on WIndows programs (SDR#, SDR-Console, etc) support HD-Radio?

Is this a licensing issue?  Couldn't this be resolved via a commercial plug-in?  Maybe there is some available software that CAN do this?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2017 03:25 AM, prog wrote:

https://fmradiodx.wordpress.com/2017/08/06/review-of-the-airspy-r2-sdr-radio/

David Ranch

Hello Alan,

Yes, HD-Radio is a USA centric (or is that exclusive?) technology and yes, it's strange that there isn't much SDR software (free) developed in the USA either.  There are some programs out there that can decode DAB now but still, no HD-Radio.  If I was to guess, it has to deal with patents, licensing, etc.. but I would think this would be addressable via an SDR plugin with a sprinkling of DRM (shudder).

I still think there is a market out there for this though.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2017 10:37 AM, Alan Melia wrote:
Hi David could it be an NIH syndrome ......it is a "Local" mode and I think the s/w you mention is predominantly generated in Europe, and I guess we dont have it here. Needs a clever US coder to get to work. :-))

Alan
G3NYK

Besides the US, HD-Radio is also used in Canada and Mexico. Not sure about anywhere else.

-Ray  WB6TPU

Yes, HD-Radio is a USA centric (or is that exclusive?) technology and yes, it's strange that there isn't much SDR software (free) developed in the USA either.  There are some programs out there that can decode DAB now but still, no HD-Radio.  If I was to guess, it has to deal with patents, licensing, etc.. but I would think this would be addressable via an SDR plugin with a sprinkling of DRM (shudder).

I still think there is a market out there for this though.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2017 10:37 AM, Alan Melia wrote:

Hi David could it be an NIH syndrome ......it is a "Local" mode and I think the s/w you mention is predominantly generated in Europe, and I guess we dont have it here. Needs a clever US coder to get to work. :-))

Alan

G3NYK

Alberto I2PHD

On 8/8/2017 8:51 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Apart from the pure legality there are many hours involved.

And, in addition to that, you need also some signals to test the software with, and in Europe you have none...

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

There is an open-source HD decoder project on github that was apparently developed for  RTL-SDR dongle receivers:

https://github.com/theori-io/nrsc5

The developer also has posted a paper online on the topic of the  HD protocol and a lot of the technical details:

http://theori.io/research/nrsc-5-c

-Ray  WB6TPU

[...]

Leif Asbrink

Hi David,

Here is the reason:
"A company called iBiquity Digital created the technology
to make this happen. They license this technology to radio
stations and consumer electronics manufacturers"

This implicates they do not give it away to SDR developers
for free.

73

Leif

Thanks for the link as that was an interesting read. That does bring up
a question that I've been unable to find an answer to:

Why don't any SDR applications ideally on Linux (Gqrx) but even on
WIndows programs (SDR#, SDR-Console, etc) support HD-Radio?

Is this a licensing issue? Couldn't this be resolved via a commercial
plug-in? Maybe there is some available software that CAN do this?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2017 03:25 AM, prog wrote:
https://fmradiodx.wordpress.com/2017/08/06/review-of-the-airspy-r2-sdr-radio/

jdow

Licensing issue with a proprietary format and rapacious lawyers involved.

{o.o}

On 2017-08-08 10:37, Alan Melia wrote:
Hi David could it be an NIH syndrome ......it is a "Local" mode and I think the s/w you mention is predominantly generated in Europe, and I guess we dont have it here. Needs a clever US coder to get to work. :-))
Alan
G3NYK

Simon Brown

I have many recordings, so I could implement HD.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Apart from the pure legality there are many hours involved.

And, in addition to that, you need also some signals to test the software with, and in Europe you have none...

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Simon Brown

Leif,

I saw that - I wonder whether it's also licenced for receive?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

Probably not. However, the GitHub tool could be leveraged so that the user "compiles" it themselves and link it into your program if the interface for additional demodulators was made public.

The real problem is that this would need a compiler on the user's machine, at a minimum. Now, if somebody had the balls to go off and compile a version for Windows as a DLL....

{^_^} (As a certified woman I suspect I lack the balls required....)

Leif,

On 8/9/2017 9:59 AM, jdow wrote:

{^_^}  (As a certified woman I suspect I lack the balls required....)

But those you write about, are physical balls... what you need for that task are *mental* balls... :-)
Which I am sure you have...

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

f5mwa

On 09/08/2017 09:49, Simon Brown wrote:
[...]

Forget what 😊 ?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

On 2017-08-09 00:49, Simon Brown wrote:
Leif,

[...]

Hey Ezio,

But, as David mentions, perhaps are arrangements possible with the company. However,  in this case the whole thing becomes (IMMO) commercial and has nothing to do with amateur radio.

Who said anything about amateur radio?  The topic started with an interesting article reviewing the Airspy for receiving distant analog *broadcast* FM stations.  That review liked the Airspy hardware and a few of the SDR applications out there but specifically called out that HD-Radio wasn't supported.   I too would like to see HD-Radio supported as I sometimes use my Airspy to listen to local broadcast stations (and commercial communications as well).  Personally, I love the fact that these SDR programs can decode so many modes and I wish they could decode everything be it analog AM, FM, HD Radio, DMR, Dstar, YSF, etc.  I know some of these modes can be decoded with linkage to other tools like DSD/DSD+, etc but it's usually a pretty rough integration and they don't always work.

Anyway, here's to the hope that more modes will be added our favorite SDR application be it via the base application or via add-ins that cover the patent encumbered modes.

Ps.  Let's not get into the discussion if anything Patent encumbered should be on amateur bands.  We'll probably agree yet not be able change anything either.

--David
KI6ZHD

jdow

You can't safely release the nice little decoder you've already built?

{O,o} Ack! Pblblptklmb!

On 2017-08-09 06:21, Simon Brown wrote:
Forget what 😊 ?
Simon Brown, G4ELI