From: airspy@groups.io [mailto:airspy@groups.io] On Behalf Of blaggard@...
Sent: 12 August 2017 15:28
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: Re: [airspy] New review of the Airspy R2 for FM DX

In the real world of FM DXing the Airspy will just about keep up with the Sony but is not better, either in sensitivity or selectivity. Given the same signal the Sony will produce a cleaner signal than Airspy and won't suffer overloading or imaging from local transmitters like Airspy does. AS does a decent enough job if there are no locals but cannot be used to it's full potential within a few KM of medium or high power B2 transmitters. Bear in mind the reviewer is using a 3 element yagi on a table in the same room and his locals are 17 miles away I doubt he'll have any problems but connect AS to an 11, 15 or 19 ele on a mast and it's a completely different story.

prog

Remark, you are talking about the R2/Mini who are wide band receivers. Add the filtering for the band you need and you can see a huge difference.
Now the HF+ has a dedicated tuner for the FM BC band with all the required filters, state of the art front end, and digital processing. Wait and see?

Paul NN4F

Can we pre-order the HF+??

Paul NN4F

prog

A pre-order page is being prepared at Itead. Yes. I'll announce it here when ready.

blaggard@...

Yes I am because the review is talking about the R2, don't get me wrong AS has captured some great DX I would of otherwise missed using a single frequency tuner and I wouldn't want to go back to not having it but it doesn't outperform the XDR. I have filtering for B2 prior to an antenna switch at the AS input but overloading comes from in band signals a few KM down the road.

I look forward to hearing how well the HF+ works although the coverage gap between 31-60MHz is a show stopper for me and I'm surprised at the omission of the 6m band. The other disadvantage is the loss of the wide bandwidth which is the reason all the B2 DXers I know invested in SDR.