[SDRSharp] Cant get anything using my Terratec Dongle

David J Taylor

Hi
I am a serious satellite enthusiast ...and whilst cruising the internet recently I discovered SDR ..
Knowing little about it I ent searching on ebay ..found and shipped one of these from the USA to the UK

DVB-T USB TV RTL-SDR FM+DAB Tuner Receiver Stick Realtek RTL2832U + E4000
[]
======================================

Quicker and cheaper to get direct from CosyCave, a UK supplier. See the top of this page:

http://www.satsignal.eu/Radio/dump1090.html

Links to:

https://www.cosycave.co.uk/product.php?id_product=288
https://www.cosycave.co.uk/product.php?id_product=289

The R820T is reckoned to be a more sensitive receiver than the E4000, and doesn't have the coverage gap around 1.1-1.2 GHz.

It may take a little care in setting up, but it should work. Good luck!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk

jdow <jdow@...>

On 2013/07/11 07:38, David J Taylor wrote:
[...]

On the other paw R820T coverage tops out well below the E4000 top frequency.

{^_^}

David J Taylor

From: jdow

On 2013/07/11 07:38, David J Taylor wrote:
[]
The R820T is reckoned to be a more sensitive receiver than the E4000, and
doesn't have the coverage gap around 1.1-1.2 GHz.
On the other paw R820T coverage tops out well below the E4000 top frequency.

{^_^}
================================

Ah, I hadn't remembered that - what is the limit, Joanne? Would about 1.6 GHz for the R820T and 2.2 GHz for the E4000 be about right?

From: jdow

On 2013/07/11 07:38, David J Taylor wrote:
[]
The R820T is reckoned to be a more sensitive receiver than the E4000, and
doesn't have the coverage gap around 1.1-1.2 GHz.
On the other paw R820T coverage tops out well below the E4000 top frequency.

{^_^}
================================

Ah, I hadn't remembered that - what is the limit, Joanne? Would about 1.6
GHz for the R820T and 2.2 GHz for the E4000 be about right?

Cheers,
David
You can look it up as easy as me. It MGIHT be 1.7 GHz; but, my memory
is insisting there is a lower value I should be able to dredge out of
this horrid morass I call a memory.

{^_^}

David J Taylor

From: jdow

Ah, I hadn't remembered that - what is the limit, Joanne? Would about 1.6
GHz for the R820T and 2.2 GHz for the E4000 be about right?

Cheers,
David
You can look it up as easy as me. It MGIHT be 1.7 GHz; but, my memory
is insisting there is a lower value I should be able to dredge out of
this horrid morass I call a memory.

I did look it up, Joanne, which is where those values came from. I was hoping that your knowledge could improve on that data.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk

jdow <jdow@...>

OK - the R820T dongles apparently do not give feedback on successful
frequency lock or whatever other technique the E4000 dongles use for
their test. So I don't really know. I gather the R820Ts work from
20something MHz up to something in the 1something GHz range. I don't
remember that the R820T was good for GPS L1 channel, though. (1575.42
MHz) If it is, putting together a GPS receiver would be a worthy
challenge for somebody. The E4000 is good for L1; but, the gaps may
make L2 (1227.6 MHz) impossible depending on the specific dongle.

{^_^}