3D printed mounts/ holders?

G5VU

I would be interested to know if anyone has designed a 3D printed "holder/mount" for any of the Airspy SDRs?
I am looking to monitor 50MHz, 70MHz, 144MHz and 432MHz by using a combination of Airspy Minis, R0/R2 and HF+ Discovery.
Rather than having them floating around, I'd like to build them into an enclosure, be it ABS or metal.
But to do that I need to have some form of holder/mount to retain them.

Many thanks

Tracey G5VU

Siegfried Jackstien

What about sticking them in a case with some velcro tape??

No tools needed to dismount any (just in case) and its cheap and does not need a special 3d printed holder.

Add a few sma to n socket pigtails, maybe a bias t (if a preamp at the antenna is used).

So ... take a case that fits your needs ... stick them inside and you should have an easy setup.

dg9bfc sigi

ps i did a similar thingy but with an adalm pluto ....

Am 28.11.2021 um 20:43 schrieb G5VU via groups.io:

I would be interested to know if anyone has designed a 3D printed "holder/mount" for any of the Airspy SDRs?
I am looking to monitor 50MHz, 70MHz, 144MHz and 432MHz by using a combination of Airspy Minis, R0/R2 and HF+ Discovery.
Rather than having them floating around, I'd like to build them into an enclosure, be it ABS or metal.
But to do that I need to have some form of holder/mount to retain them.

Many thanks

Tracey G5VU

Martin Smith

Pietro Molina

Pay attention when staking SDR receiver. All part I've tried become hot when working, so they need free air circulation around them. Stacking them too close one each other or with velcro.
Leave space among them, with air circulation or force a ventilation.

Pietro I2OIM

jdow

Just off hand I would not use a special holder unless it provided more air clearance than I get hanging the fool things on their cables in the air. They get "warmish".

{^_^}

On 20211128 11:43:10, G5VU via groups.io wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone has designed a 3D printed "holder/mount" for any of the Airspy SDRs?
I am looking to monitor 50MHz, 70MHz, 144MHz and 432MHz by using a combination of Airspy Minis, R0/R2 and HF+ Discovery.
Rather than having them floating around, I'd like to build them into an enclosure, be it ABS or metal.
But to do that I need to have some form of holder/mount to retain them.

Many thanks

Tracey G5VU

jdow

Do both. You need the space between then for the air to circulate.

{^_-}

On 20211128 23:00:01, Pietro Molina wrote:
Pay attention when staking SDR receiver. All part I've tried become hot when working, so they need free air circulation around them. Stacking them too close one each other or with velcro.
Leave space among them, with air circulation or force a ventilation.

Pietro I2OIM

G5VU

Thanks to all who replied.
The general consensus seems to be not to go for any form of holder/mount that would restrict the heat dissipation.
I'm now leaning towards either a very small piece of "Blu Tack" or a very small piece of double sided tape, just to stop things floating around.

73s Tracey G5VU

jdow

I leave it floating because the cables do not move around at all frequently and I have them arranged for minimum tension, pressure, or twist. If you put the object into a frame open on all 6 sides with an few cm airgap even on the bottom and it's not going to change often get some SMA male to female cables maybe 7.5 to 15 cm long made if thin flexible cable. Use that to connect in line with your more robust antenna coax. That will remove physical stress and help minimize thermal stress. If there is room behind this setup a pretty modest fan blowing between the boxes with any thin flat units standing on edge would provide a surprising amount of cooling. (Change connector types as needed.)

{^_^}`

On 20211129 08:23:04, G5VU via groups.io wrote:
Thanks to all who replied.
The general consensus seems to be not to go for any form of holder/mount that would restrict the heat dissipation.
I'm now leaning towards either a very small piece of "Blu Tack" or a very small piece of double sided tape, just to stop things floating around.

73s Tracey G5VU

Tomasz Lemiech

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 10:43 PM G5VU via groups.io <tracey.gardner=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

I would be interested to know if anyone has designed a 3D printed "holder/mount" for any of the Airspy SDRs?
I am looking to monitor 50MHz, 70MHz, 144MHz and 432MHz by using a combination of Airspy Minis, R0/R2 and HF+ Discovery.
Rather than having them floating around, I'd like to build them into an enclosure, be it ABS or metal.
But to do that I need to have some form of holder/mount to retain them.

Using these adapters:

you can mount various kinds of equipment on a TS-35 rail inside the enclosure. The adapter has two thru-holes on the side - large enough to put zip ties through them.

Illustration:

The adapter is visible under the leftmost RTL dongle. Airspy HF+ is just to the right of the antenna splitter.

Regards,

--
Tomasz Lemiech

Simon Brown

Hi,

I like my electronics to run cool, these USB fans are good, the bottom fan especially as it creates a good, broad airflow, is quiet and easy to direct.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G059G86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A6X7B4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

The general consensus seems to be not to go for any form of holder/mount that would restrict the heat dissipation.

I'm now leaning towards either a very small piece of "Blu Tack" or a very small piece of double sided tape, just to stop things floating around.

73s Tracey G5VU

David J Taylor

On 29/11/2021 16:23, G5VU via groups.io wrote:
Thanks to all who replied.
The general consensus seems to be not to go for any form of holder/mount that would restrict the heat dissipation.
I'm now leaning towards either a very small piece of "Blu Tack" or a very small piece of double sided tape, just to stop things floating around.

73s Tracey G5VU
My solution was to use the desk as a heatsink, and a 200g weight to keep the
Airspy HF+ close to the desk. Using more rigid cables can help! See attached
photo.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

G5VU

Hello David

That would certainly work for one/two SDRs but I will have five to "restrain", a mix of Minis, R0/R2 and Discovery.

73s Tracey G5VU

On 01/12/2021 09:53, G5VU via groups.io wrote:
Hello David

That would certainly work for one/two SDRs but I will have five to "restrain", a mix of Minis, R0/R2 and Discovery.

73s Tracey G5VU
Tracey,

My initial thoughts were a restraining bar shaped to allow gaps between the
devices but also to act as a common heat-sink.

Otherwise some sort of netting (garden?) to leat the air flow freely as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutleys-Heavy-Duty-Woven-Bird-Netting/dp/B00722RXI6

A metal grill (kitchen) or air conditioning or old loudspeaker grille?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-Ventilation-Coating-RAL9016-Diffuser/dp/B08QYSCD5P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulaned-Cooling-Baking-Roasting-Cooking/dp/B0972SG3G3

Perhaps I'm thinking along different lines!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

G5VU

Hello David

Many thanks for the mesh/grid suggestion, that would allow for the SDRs to be restrained by some tie/wire wraps and also act to some degree as a heatsink.

73s Tracey G5VU

[...]

More rigid cables are not a solution. They tend to lift the connectors off the boards. Solder and PCB traces are insufficient to properly hold contact for long periods of stress. That is why a short (6" or so) Male-Female SMA cable is good.

So let me get inventive here in this world of DIN rail and printed materials. It should be able to create a DIN rail shell to go around the various boxes. I'd make two inverted U structures that are about 3" on the side and an appropriate (18") width. I'd join them with about 5" sections of DIN rail to make an open top and sides box that will be turned over to use. When this U shaped box is placed with the long DIN rails at the top front and back you can figure out how to use the DIN rail holes for the pigtail adapter cables. The SDR front ends can be slipped into position and the pigtails and USB cables can be connected, perhaps using DIN rail hones for cable ties as stress relief for the USB cables. It may even be good to find a suitable strip of thin scrap plastic, luan wood, or the like to use as a floor. Then you can use double faced tape, blue tack, or whatever as to hold the SDRs in a neat looking array. If it is mounted so that a small fan or two blowing through the structure from maybe 6" away will not be blowing in your face that would complete the assembly very nicely.

May I suggest not trying to run more than 4 or 5 rtlsdr dongles (4.8 MiBps), on a single USB2 bus at one time. If you must run AirSpy R2s *I* would get a two or four controller USB3 card to carry the additional loads, one R2 per controller. It's expensive. It may save the state of  your hair from you ripping it out from frustration.

{^_^}

On 20211201 01:53:23, G5VU via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hello Jo

Thanks for the interesting suggestion and I'll give it some serious thought.

With regards to the USB ports, I have taken Simon's advice and fitted a StarTech.com 4 Port PCI Express USB 3.0 Card with four dedicated channels.
So hopefully I should have enough throughput there.
Whether my ex-business HP Z230 i7 4790 machine will have enough grunt is another question.

73s Tracey G5VU

[...]

Good luck with it. And please pass along how it works for you. It's kinda fun to have an AirSpy R2 running full bore in one instance and a RX888 MKII running at 32 Msps in another instance at the same time. I look forward to when the MKII is enabled at 64 Msps by Simon. Oh what fun!

{^_-}