locked Failed Firmware Update gone #firmware #update

andrew.beckett@...

OK, having followed all the instructions laid out elsewhere, I'm left with a non-functioning, refusing to update HF+.

My current state is

  1. a Bossa Program Port (Com 3) listed in Device Manager.
  2.  airspy_open() failed: AIRSPY_ERROR_NOT_FOUND (-5) when attempting to run airspy_spiflash.bat
  3.  I have remove all and every virtual com port.
  4.  I have remove all the hidden com ports (including the Com 10) which someone somewhere has stated as bad.
  5.  I've even opened the case and done the hardware resent on the Erase port.

At the moment it refuses to flash and also refuses to be recognised as an HF+, I no longer know where to go without returning the device.  Which I'm so annoyed if I have to as its Easter weekend and I've already waited five days for the thing to be delivered.

Any suggestions.

I'm running a WIN 10 Pro latest version HP laptop with 4GB ram and a 1TB spinning disk.  I do believe it has USB3 ports and no I don't have any other PC's to fall back on, this is my only one.

Thank you in advance - I never realised it was going to be such an uphill struggle to get it running.

Airspy US

It would help if you also mentioned what the firmware is currently and what steps you have taken.
Also a confirmation that you DLed the latest firmware from the Airspy.com website would be nice.

You described the current state well, but nothing about what you have done/tried.

Also, where exactly is "elsewhere"? You should follow the
instructions included with the update in the README.TXT file.

It's usually not a struggle at all if you follow the instructions.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@...

On 4/18/2019 2:43 PM, andrew.beckett via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

having followed all the instructions laid out elsewhere, I'm left with a non-functioning, refusing to update HF+.
Elsewhere? Where? You mean on the Airspy official site? https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/
If anywhere else you should say exactly what you have done.

Did the driver install correctly? Did you use it before you tried updating?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Brian Gregory <bdgregory@...>

I've always used Windows 7 but I've always found that if you just do the update again it will work okay except that you may well lose the calibration value; a sensible default value is used instead.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 20:36 Alan G4ZFQ, <alan4alan@...> wrote:
> having followed all the instructions laid out elsewhere, I'm left
> with a non-functioning, refusing to update HF+.

Elsewhere? Where? You mean on the Airspy official site?
https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/
If anywhere else you should say exactly what you have done.

Did the driver install correctly? Did you use it before you tried updating?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Peter Jönsson

Hi
You say you are running airspy_spiflash.bat. That is firmware for the AirSpy R2 and not the HF+. The latest firmware is found at https://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20180630.zip

And please follow the instructions in the README.txt.

Good luck
Peter J

Peter Jönsson

Hi
You say you are running airspy_spiflash.bat. That is firmware for the AirSpy R2 and not the HF+. The latest firmware is found at https://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20180630.zip

And please follow the instructions in the README.txt. What you have done is that you erased the firmware in the HF+ and need to flash new firmware.

Good luck
Peter J

Airspy US

Good catch! The HF+ update is just FLASH.BAT.

If the wrong updater was used, it's a good bet the correct instructions were not followed either.
Regardless, just update the firmware using the correct update and everything should be fine.

---------

On 4/18/2019 4:26 PM, Peter Jönsson wrote:
Hi
You say you are running *airspy_spiflash.bat.*That is firmware for the AirSpy R2 and not the HF+. The latest firmware is found at https://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20180630.zip

And please follow the instructions in the README.txt.

Good luck
Peter J

andrew.beckett@...

Thank you one and all, Peter the quick person that spotted I'd got the wrong updater needs a prize.  Once I'd downloaded the correct updater, like magic it burst into life and has now flashed with the latest firmware with no fuss and within 30 seconds.

I'm normally very good at doing this kind of stuff and I'm very surprised that I've downloaded multiple times the wrong firmware updater.  Thank you to the person that actually gave the URL for the correct one and managed to not be condescending at the same time.

I'm going to double check what I've downloaded and why, as I was almost sending the HF+ back.