Contour Shuttle Pro V2 plugin for SDR# #sdrsharp

Edward MacDonald

Hello. I have release Version 3 of the Shuttle Plugin. It now supports 2 devices simultaneously.

It adds support for the Shuttle Express and the ability to adjust the Waterfall contrast, and FFT range and offset. (When SDR# is focused)

I completely rewrote the code for faster event handling. I switched from using dynamic event handlers to instead using expression trees.

Any problems please let me know. Plugin available at https://SDRPlugins.com/downloads

Thanks

Edward MacDonald

I just released version 3.1 of the shuttle plugin as a minor update. The problem with the shuttle knob on Express devices staying continually on Filter Bandwidth has been fixed.

Thanks,

Eddie

Christof Proft

Hi Eddie,

thanks for the plugin! Works good for me with SDR# 1700, giving me a very convenient way to change mode and bandwith.
Acquired a NOS Shuttle Pro V2 at our last SWL camp for testing, was in mood to give it back, before I found your plugin.
The device was sold with setups for Winradio and PERSEUS years ago, but didn't work with the elad software for my FDM-Duo-r.

vy73

chris

Christof Proft - Radiofreunde NRW

https://www.facebook.com/radiofreundenrw/

Edward MacDonald

I have updated the Shuttle Plugin to Ver. 3.2.

New functions have been added that allow button assignments to dynamically cycle through all the assignable jog and shuttle functions from a button on the device itself instead of mapping it each time.

I have also added a new step type to the preset frequency step control "Use SDR# Step" will use the same step that is currently in use on the SDR# Radio Panel Step Type.

Also added are button functions to allow switching of bands between AM Broadcast, FM Broadcast, Air Band, 160 Meter, 80 Meter, 40 Meter, 20 Meter, 10 Meter, 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter Bands.

If there are any problems please let me know. Thanks,

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 17:54, Edward MacDonald via Groups.Io <edwardmacdonald74=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello. I have release Version 3 of the Shuttle Plugin. It now supports 2 devices simultaneously.

It adds support for the Shuttle Express and the ability to adjust the Waterfall contrast, and FFT range and offset. (When SDR# is focused)

I completely rewrote the code for faster event handling. I switched from using dynamic event handlers to instead using expression trees.

Any problems please let me know. Plugin available at https://SDRPlugins.com/downloads

Thanks

prog

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 01:52 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:
I have updated the Shuttle Plugin to Ver. 3.2.

New functions have been added that allow button assignments to dynamically cycle through all the assignable jog and shuttle functions from a button on the device itself instead of mapping it each time.

I have also added a new step type to the preset frequency step control "Use SDR# Step" will use the same step that is currently in use on the SDR# Radio Panel Step Type.

Also added are button functions to allow switching of bands between AM Broadcast, FM Broadcast, Air Band, 160 Meter, 80 Meter, 40 Meter, 20 Meter, 10 Meter, 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter Bands.

If there are any problems please let me know. Thanks,
Thanks Ed for this excellent piece of work. The level of integration reached here is quite high and follows the spirit of the channelized approach of SDR#.

Edward MacDonald

Thanks Prog. Your comment is much appreciated. I have released the final version (hopefully) of the plugin now. Ver. 3.3 which should have squashed all the bugs.

I am sorry for the delay with the TMate2 plugin. Libraries, native calls, output mappings and plugin framework are all coded and ready to go. To further the development I have to wait until I can get my hands on the  controller. It will be about 6 to 8 weeks before I receive it.

As soon as I have the beta of the plugin ready I will post the download link for anyone interested.

Prog - anyway to contact you off forum? If you have time.

Thanks.

On Sun., Mar. 3, 2019, 6:35 a.m. prog, <info@...> wrote:
[...]

Jukka / OH2BUA

Hi,

I'm very keen to know if this plugin + shuttle pro combination is usable over an RDP remote connection.

Usually 'mouse-like' devices do work over remote, but shuttle is a bit different thing.

In year 2014 one fellow received this reply from Shuttle "Hi, Unfortunately, controlling the Shuttle does not work in the VPN or Remote Desktop environments we've tried. Sorry. :( Shuttle Team, Contour Design, Inc. ......@..."

Possibly the situation is still the same?

I'm very firm in using RDP, not even consider teamviewer or alike. My hamshack is remote-only-operable - even when on-location, I operate it 'remotely'.

73, Jukka

Edward MacDonald

The plugin was designed around Contours driver. If Contour says their drivers will not work with RDP then it's probably certain the plugin will not either.

If the current plugin version (3.3) will not work with RDP I 'may' be able to add support for it by creating translation of the Shuttle Events data, packing them into some custom structures and send them through a RDP compatible client / server setup and unpack it on the other end. (Depending on how involved it would be to code)

I would suggest for now to test the plugin as is with your setup and post back your results. Then we can go from there.

On Wed., Apr. 3, 2019, 4:09 a.m. Jukka / OH2BUA, <jukka@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm very keen to know if this plugin + shuttle pro combination is usable over an RDP remote connection.

Usually 'mouse-like' devices do work over remote, but shuttle is a bit different thing.

In year 2014 one fellow received this reply from Shuttle "Hi, Unfortunately, controlling the Shuttle does not work in the VPN or Remote Desktop environments we've tried. Sorry. :( Shuttle Team, Contour Design, Inc. ......@contourdesign.com"

Possibly the situation is still the same?

I'm very firm in using RDP, not even consider teamviewer or alike. My hamshack is remote-only-operable - even when on-location, I operate it 'remotely'.

73, Jukka

Jukka / OH2BUA

Thanks Eddie for your reply.
I would suggest for now to test the plugin as is with your setup and post back your results.
Sorry I can't make that test myself as the situation is that I haven't bought a Shuttle myself as I have heard that it "doesn't work from remote"... but willing to buy one straight away if confirmed that it works:-I

73, Jukka

 Chris Spacone

Eddie,

It occurs to me that we might be able to do some testing by setting up a machine here with SDR# running on one of my client machines that also has the same model Shuttle attached that I sent to you earlier. Maybe if the plugin and Contour drivers are running on the target machine *and* I set RDP rules on the firewall we may be able to do some testing.

I’m really glad that you were able to use the controller I sent you and that have been so effective in creating a plugin for SDR#.

Let me know if you think setting up an RDP test environment will be useful.

-Chris

[...]

Chris - thanks for suggesting the plugin and providing the hardware. Otherwise it would not have been possible.

Sure if you can set up a testing environment and play around with the firewall and let me know, that would be great.

I was thinking about how to code remote if it does not support RDP. But it may be interesting just to code the network support into it anyway if not.

On Wed., Apr. 3, 2019, 4:19 p.m. Chris Spacone, <cspacone@...> wrote:

[...]

jdow

I'd explore remove desktop options.
Click "Show Options".
Select "local resources".
The remote audio settings *MIGHT* give you some help. (If you are working with a MIDI device it will change your world.)

{^_^}

......@... <http://contourdesign.com>"
Possibly the situation is still the same?
I'm very firm in using RDP, not even consider teamviewer or alike. My
hamshack is remote-only-operable - even when on-location, I operate it
'remotely'.
73, Jukka

 Chris Spacone

Eddie,

I’ll get started on setting up a machine this afternoon. I’ll be at the NAB show in Las Vegas next week so I won’t be able to provide any hands on until I get back on Thursday. I’ll be in touch shortly.

-Chris

[...]

Joanne,

Unfortunately this device isn't MIDI (https://www.contourdesign.com/product/shuttle/) but does have its own drivers and SDK. As Eddie says, the Contour folks appear to have flatly stated it doesn't work on RDP connections. My suggestion was simply a ham handed attempt to brute force something by ensuring the drivers and SDK components as well as Eddies plug in were installed on both ends of the RDP connection. My thinking is that he might be able to bundle up the button presses in some manner that makes it invisible to RDP as some sort of private data event that is generated on the remote user end, bundled up and sent to the remote instance of SDR# where it is intercepted by a handler in his plugin.

But listen to me, talking like I know what the hell I'm doing!

Eddie may have is work cut out for him trying to get it to work in a networked environment but I'm certain he is up to the task. He's taken a pretty vague idea delivered by email and has developed an excellent implementation.

Eddie, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g23-UBAMYE

-Chris