Topics

locked HF+ via SpyServer - Control of AGC, Preamp, and Attenuation? #airspyhfplus #spyserver

Ron Wright - KA5LUG

When using an HF+ via a local spyserver is there any way to control the AGC, preamp, and attenuation options that are available when you are directly connected to the device?

Thanks,

--Ron

prog

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 06:30 PM, <ronwright.us@...> wrote:
When using an HF+ via a local spyserver is there any way to control the AGC, preamp, and attenuation options that are available when you are directly connected to the device?

Thanks,

--Ron
Not implemented yet. There are many contextual settings to handle.

Mark Bailey

Any update on this? I'm kind of forced to operate my HF+ and Discovery a remote base setups with SpyServer, but it seems like I'm missing out on some of these more recent added features as a result of not having the HF+ and/or Discovery locally attached via USB. Thanks!

João Fonseca

That's exactly also my situation...

freeview2014@...

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 09:30 AM, prog wrote:
Not implemented yet. There are many contextual settings to handle.
When the maximum clients are set to just one, control of AGC, ATT and Preamp shound be granted at clent side..

Another way could be to set the values in the spyserver.config file as the user, antenna tyoe and location requires.

That should be no rocket science.

prog

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 07:50 PM, <freeview2014@...> wrote:
That should be no rocket science.
Nothing is science when you are the passenger.

freeview2014@...

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:51 AM, prog wrote:
Nothing is science when you are the passenger.
"Passenger" sounds somewhat lazy. You don't know which efforts I have done, to earn the money for your hardware. I'm simply a customer.

"Nothing is science when you are the customer."

Sounds strange? Yes it does, simply because in each case different rules apply.

.

jdow

Sadly, in just shy of 77 years of life, one thing I have discovered is that, alas, the customer is not always right. Often the customer is asking for something that is not possible within the constraints of known physics. Other times what the customer wants renders the product unstable and sometimes unusable. A wise customer gives the engineer time to study what the customer perceives as a problem that can be instantly fixed and decide whether it can be fixed economically. You see, the scientists and engineers bringing you new products indulge in the subversive activity known as "think" while customers only need to "want". And if wants were horses beggars would ride in splendor.

{^_^}

On 20210126 08:19:37, freeview2014@... wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:51 AM, prog wrote:
Nothing is science when you are the passenger.
"Passenger" sounds somewhat lazy. You don't know which efforts I have done, to earn the money for your hardware. I'm simply a customer.

"Nothing is science when you are the customer."

Sounds strange? Yes it does, simply because in each case different rules apply.

.

 Chris Spacone

Prog has been enormously generous and helpful to the community at large.

One could take issue with his sometimes brusque responses to questions but I digress.

Alternatively, you can code your own application using API and examples provided by Prog.

You want better software? Start by being a better user.

prog

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 05:19 PM, <freeview2014@...> wrote:
"Nothing is science when you are the customer."

Sounds strange? Yes it does, simply because in each case different rules apply.
You may hit a hard wall of physics and logic constraints. Not everything you "want" necessarily makes sense or is feasible.

prog

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 07:54 PM,  Chris Spacone wrote:
Prog has been enormously generous and helpful to the community at large.

One could take issue with his sometimes brusque responses to questions but I digress.

Alternatively, you can code your own application using API and examples provided by Prog.

You want better software? Start by being a better user.
This topic was discussed over and over. The SpyServer is designed to run unattended and manage to send properly acquired, scaled and encoded IQ data. The farther you move from this design target the more self-inflicted frustrations you get.

freeview2014@...

Edited

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 09:50 AM, jdow wrote:
Sadly, in just shy of 77 years of life, one thing I have discovered is that, alas, the customer is not always right. Often the customer is asking for something that is not possible within the constraints of known physics.
Other times what the customer wants renders the product unstable and sometimes unusable. A wise customer gives the engineer time to study what the customer perceives as a problem that can be instantly fixed and decide whether it can be fixed economically. You see, the scientists and engineers bringing you new products indulge in the subversive activity known as "think" while customers only need to "want". And if wants were horses beggars would ride in splendor.
We should not lose ourselves in abstract thoughts based on certain expiriences in life, generalize or ridicule. There are infinite cases where such kind of thinking led to dire misdevelopments and unsolvable accumulation of problems.

At the end of the day we are talking about a remote client-server connection not about unknown physics.

prog

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 11:54 AM, <freeview2014@...> wrote:
We should not lose ourselves in abstract thoughts based on certain expiriences in life, generalize or ridicule.
Remark, you are the one introducing abstract hypothetical ideas to the very guys who actually designed the concrete hardware and wrote its concrete firmware, concrete drivers, concrete app ecosystem. Humility helps.

freeview2014@...

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 02:02 AM, prog wrote:
The SpyServer is designed to run unattended and manage to send properly acquired, scaled and encoded IQ data.
That's nice and something somebody would exptect.  Let's take a look on a practical example, maybe we are talking about different things.

We have an antenna with an LNA on antenna side presenting an additional 12 db of gain to the port of the Airspy HF+

- We know that we won't need any further amplification by the Airspys HF+ integrated LNA.
- We also know that 12db is excess gain and that we need to compensate for it.

When we use the Airspy HF+ connected through USB. we turn "HF Preamp" OFF and in our case "HF ATT" to -12db for compensation. As a result we get a acurate picture of what is happening at the antenna side through our Spektrum.

All that should not sound or look exotic but extraordinary basic.

When using the Airspy HF+ through a client-server connection it seems that the Airspys HF+ integrated LNA is blindly turned ON, HF ATT set to 0db and an AGC fighting for survival.

Technicaly speaking the picture and data we get presented at our client screen are just inaccurate because thay do not reflect what our antenna or probe is seeing.  But that is all about. Isn't it?

We could calculate the correct picture, values and data assuming we know the variables. But do we know them? Who knows Mitchells, Jeromes, Heinrichs, Giannis or Changsongs variables?  No body knows.

But even if there is just one server and just one client we may have several Airspy HF+ on various Antennas. That means that we need to spend the whole day calculating back and forth and calibrating all day long our screens.

freeview2014@...

Edited

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 05:04 AM, prog wrote:
Remark, you are the one introducing abstract hypothetical ideas
It is not hypothetical question. Maybe it is for a RTL-SDR User enjoying the dancing waterfalls and curves with its friends.  I wrote about it.

The question If a kitchen scale can be tared or not, may seem hypothetical. Maybe because you don't cook or just don't care about quantities and just  mix all together. For a wife preparing food for her family or a chef it is not a hypotherical queston.

to the very guys who actually designed the concrete hardware and wrote its concrete firmware,
concrete drivers, concrete app ecosystem. Humility helps.
You should study the great decay of noumerious engineering dynasties.  Expecially in Germany. There are good reasons why, they all dropped dead. -  despite hundert and  more years of great accomplishments.

vshitikov@...

if for your setup you need no AGC and control of the Gain, you might try instead of using spyserver -- use the usb over ethernet. I don't know if it will work well with the HF+ sampling frequency.

freeview2014@...

Edited

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 06:52 AM, <vshitikov@...> wrote:
use the usb over ethernet. I don't know if it will work well with the HF+ sampling frequency.
One or two years ago I gave that idea a try, but for other reasons.  The idea & concept is fairly simple. You connect your USB device to the router and a software integrates the USB device in the remote system as if it is directly connected. Sounds good.

Well, the attempt failed. SDR Sharp resp. its driver did not find what is looking for.

Otherwise Ethernet offfers plenty of bandwidth, way more than USB 2.0. There maybe other problems & obastacles. We don't know for example if the SDR Software and its driver can cope with such an "unexpected" setup, maybe they expect a dataflow in a certain isochronous way or whatever.

freeview2014@...

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 10:54 AM,  Chris Spacone wrote:
Alternatively, you can code your own application using API and examples provided by Prog.
That kind of thinking is somwhat immature and not the way our society works.

Somebody may take care of you, when you are in a medical condition, another may take care that your daily discharges flush nicely down the drain or that you never feel hungry. etc.  Nobody ever asked you, to treat your self or take care of your daily discharges, plant you own food and so on.

The APIs and examples where provided by Prog to help people promote and develop his project.