Topics

Portforwarding or proxy possible with spyserver ? #spyserver

j.lammerts@...

Hi,

Just joined this group, and browsed the first 30 pages or so for a solution to my problem.
Realised this could take a long time, so here's a quick question:

I'm running spyserver happily on a Linux machine in my network. From my (windows) laptop I can use SDR# to connect
to spyserver on that Linux machine, port 5555.
Sometimes, however, I'm in environments where all ports are blocked, except for 80 and 443, but would still like to be able to reach
my spyserver over the internet.

Is it possible to use an apache proxy to forward calls from, let's say, https://mysite.com/sdr to (locally) http://localserver:5555 ?

I quickly tried this out, using my Apache server on my site with this config :
ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPass /sdr/ http://192.168.0.30:5555
where 192.168.0.30 is the address of the spyserver machine.
This does not work, however.....

Any suggestions, please ?

Best regards,
Hans

Oidar

Hi Hans.

I don't have a server, but isn't Apache a HTTP proxy? I bet the traffic is not http.
I would try to port forward in the router/firewall port 80 or 443 to 5555.

I use this kind of setup for forwarding traffic on MF/HF to VLC, but i have restricted the possible remote IP adresses as i get tons for portscannings and login attempts from worms and curious users.

//Mats

j.lammerts@...

Hi Mats,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Yes, Apache is indeed a proxy and the traffic is definitely not http...
I'm running my own website at home, so port 443 is in use by Apache for this site.
This means I cannot forward 5555 in the router to 443....

I read somewhere that someone succeeded in doing the very thing I'm trying to achieve, but
without any explanation how he did it...
You did give me an idea, however.
What I'm looking for is obviously a way to transport non-http protocol over http(s).
Must be possible, or Youtube and others wouldn't exist.....

Will look into this further..

Thanks,
Hans

Oidar

Hi Hans.

just an idea, If you want to transport non-http protocol over http(s), i think a VPN service is a good choice.

//Mats