Unable to install Airspy HF+ on windows 7 or windows 8.1 #airspyhfplus

diogenes@...

Hello,
I have spent two days trying to install this device. The driver is the problem it did not install via windows as the installation instructions suggested so I downloaded the WinUSB Compatibility Driver  which was no help at all. I have so far tried 3 different machines with the same result. I have searched the group but none of the comments I have seen help me. Can anyone give me straightforward instructions as to how to get this radio working?
Peter

camelman123

Edited

Have you tried to use another USB cable ?
If the answer is yes, then try to unistall the USB from "ctrl panel   devices manager" then reboot your windows 7. Reinstall your driver (run as administrator"
Good luck

Airspy US

You say the driver is the issue. So you ARE getting the "connected" tone from Windows when you plug it in?

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

NOTE! This email address is not routinely monitored.
If you have an issue, please contact us at airspy@airspy.us

On 4/13/2018 8:29 AM, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
Hello,
I have spent two days trying to install this device. The driver is the problem it did not install via windows as the installation instructions suggested so I downloaded the _WinUSB Compatibility Driver _ which was no help at all. I have so far tried 3 different machines with the same result. I have searched the group but none of the comments I have seen help me. Can anyone give me straightforward instructions as to how to get this radio working?
Peter

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

jdow

If the other suggestions didn't help let's dig in a little deeper. Unplug ASHF+.
* Bring up Device Manager.
Right click on "Computer". Select Properties at the bottom of the list of selections in the popup menu. On the big dialog that pops up select on the left "Device Manager" hotlink top of the left hand column.

* On the Device manager tree view note if anything appears under a "Ports (COM & LPT)" selection if it exists and under a "Universal Serial Bus devices" selection if it exists. (Expand them.)

* Now plug in the ASHF+.

* The Device Manager view should automatically refresh after a few moments. If it doesn't then it may be defective.

* Check if anything appears under "Universal Serial Bus devices". If so check what name it shows and note to the list about. You should expect "AIRSPY HF+" if everything is happy. But I suspect that won't be what you see.

* Check if anything appears under "Ports (COM & LPT)". If it does then an unprogrammed unit escaped manufacturing. This can probably be repaired "at home" fairly easily. Note the port which appears and let the list know. One of us can tell you in detail what to do in this case. (I'd try downloading the latest driver. Then pulling apart the "Flash.bat" file that comes wit it so I could manually perform the actual programming step manually. But if this is your problem listen to any advice from "prog" or "AirSpyUS" first rather than experimenting.)

* If nothing appeared then if you are patient you can look for changes elsewhere in the Device Manager that might be the ASHF+ appearing as something it shouldn't. Report what you find to the list.

So first you are looking to see if the USB system recognizes the device. If it doesn't a hardware repair is needed. If Device Manager refreshes then look for the appearance of AIRSPY HF+ in Device Manager under AIRSPY HF+ as a "Universal Serial Bus device". If it appears then the programs you are using have a problem. If AIRSPY HF+ does not appear then look for it to appear as a serial communications device. If that appears it means the ASHF+ hardware is showing its programming interface. If that is the case report it here and follow advice from Youssef (prog) or AirSpyHF+ (the US distributor.) I'd not right off recommend being fearless and manually programming the device right off. There might be some special event that must take place for an initial programming.

{^_^} Joanne

On 20180413 05:29, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
Hello,
I have spent two days trying to install this device. The driver is the problem it did not install via windows as the installation instructions suggested so I downloaded the _WinUSB Compatibility Driver _ which was no help at all. I have so far tried 3 different machines with the same result. I have searched the group but none of the comments I have seen help me. Can anyone give me straightforward instructions as to how to get this radio working?
Peter

diogenes@...

Thank you Joanne,
I followed your instructions and find that the device pops up as;

Universal Serial Bus Device
     WinUSB Generic Device

It says it is working properly.
Driver Provider libusb.info
Driver Date       18/06/2013
Driver Version   6.1.7600.16385
Digital Signer    USB\MS_COMP_WINUSB (lbwdi autogenerated)

I hope that with this information someone can tell me what needs to be done.
Peter

> [...]
> off. There
> might be some special event that must take place for an initial
> programming.
>
> {^_^} Joanne
>
> On 20180413 05:29, diogenes@... wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have spent two days trying to install this device. The driver is
>> the problem
>> it did not install via windows as the installation instructions
>> suggested so I
>> downloaded the _WinUSB Compatibility Driver _ which was no help at
>> all. I have
>> so far tried 3 different machines with the same result. I have
>> searched the
>> group but none of the comments I have seen help me. Can anyone give
>> me
>> straightforward instructions as to how to get this radio working?

jdow

I hope that is enough diagnostic information for Youssef and his crew. I've not seen that report ever.

{^_^}

On 20180414 01:43, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
> [...]

> off. There
> might be some special event that must take place for an initial
> programming.
>
> {^_^} Joanne
>
> On 20180413 05:29, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have spent two days trying to install this device. The driver is
>> the problem
>> it did not install via windows as the installation instructions
>> suggested so I
>> downloaded the _WinUSB Compatibility Driver _ which was no help at
>> all. I have
>> so far tried 3 different machines with the same result. I have
>> searched the
>> group but none of the comments I have seen help me. Can anyone give
>> me
>> straightforward instructions as to how to get this radio working?

prog

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 02:37 am, jdow wrote:
I hope that is enough diagnostic information for Youssef and his crew. I've not seen that report ever.

{^_^}
libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+. Unsupported scenario: There's no uninstaller for that driver.
Only remaining advice: Fix your drivers and NEVER improvise.

Alan G4ZFQ

libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+. Unsupported scenario: There's no uninstaller for that driver.
Only remaining advice: Fix your drivers and NEVER improvise.
If that is true, you used Zadig then maybe prog could be a little more helpful.

DO NOT USE ZADIG.
If Zadig has been used to install the drivers the best thing might be to use "System Restore" to a point before it was used. Or go to Device Manager. Delete drivers. Then hopefully it should then automatically install the correct drivers. If not use the proper one you downloaded.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

diogenes@...

Hello Alan,

Are you suggesting I used Zadig (I have no idea what it is) I simply plugged the AHF+ into a USB port and  I have already explained what happened then. When it would not work I downloaded the WinUSB Compatibilty Driver and followed the online instructions and it still would not work. Apart from trying it on three different pcs and also trying the USB cable from my AS that is all I have done.
Peter

>> libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+.
>> Unsupported scenario: There's no uninstaller for that driver.
>> Only remaining advice: Fix your drivers and NEVER improvise.
>
> If that is true, you used Zadig then maybe prog could be a little more
> helpful.
>
> DO NOT USE ZADIG.
> If Zadig has been used to install the drivers the best thing might be
> use "System Restore" to a point before it was used. Or go to Device
> Manager. Delete drivers. Then hopefully it should then automatically
> install the correct drivers. If not use the proper one you downloaded.
>
> 73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

Are you suggesting I used Zadig (I have no idea what it is)
Peter,

No, not me "prog" the actual software writer and developer of the HF+ said "libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+."
Which was accusing you of doing this.
As you do not even know what Zadig is then he was wrong. [Zadig is a driver installer for other devices, notably the RTL SDR.]
Sorry, you seem to have done all the correct things. I hope prog comes up with an answer. "libwdi" must have come from somewhere else.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

I simply plugged the AHF+ into a USB port and  I have already explained what happened then. When it would not work I downloaded the WinUSB Compatibilty Driver and followed the online instructions and it still would not work. Apart from trying it on three different pcs and also trying the USB cable from my AS that is all I have done.
>> libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+.
>> Unsupported scenario: There's no uninstaller for that driver.
>> Only remaining advice: Fix your drivers and NEVER improvise.

David Ranch

Hey Joanne,

This is a solid start to what I'd say should be in the wiki at:

   https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home

At some point, we should point users to the Wiki to get their answers FIRST before posting a message as we generally cover the same topics over and over.  Anyway, I think if we all try to focus a little more on the Wiki and a little more less on emails, I think getting something substantial would be good.  Would you be willing to copy / paste this very email into a new Wiki entry for something like "My Airspy isn't being recognized" and others can then chime in with more details, tips, etc.  If you're too busy and you're ok with a copy /paste of your email, I can put it into the wiki for you.

Thoughts?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 04/13/2018 02:55 PM, jdow wrote:
[...]

Pete Smith <n4zr@...>

I think a part of the problem is that for those of us who were raised on yahoogroups or contesting.com reflectors, the idea of a wiki even existing within the group structure is less than obvious.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 4/14/2018 1:26 PM, David Ranch wrote:

[...]

Joe M.

I believe it's the report you posted that is suggesting
Zadig was used since that is the driver that is installed.

Others are simply telling you what the report is saying.

Regardless, that seems to be the problem.

Joe M.

On 4/14/2018 8:07 AM, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
Hello Alan,

Are you suggesting I used Zadig (I have no idea what it is) I simply
plugged the AHF+ into a USB port and I have already explained what
happened then. When it would not work I downloaded the WinUSB
Compatibilty Driver and followed the online instructions and it still
would not work. Apart from trying it on three different pcs and also
trying the USB cable from my AS that is all I have done.
Peter

>> libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+.
>> Unsupported scenario: There's no uninstaller for that driver.
>> Only remaining advice: Fix your drivers and NEVER improvise.
>
> If that is true, you used Zadig then maybe prog could be a little more
> helpful.
>
> DO NOT USE ZADIG.
> If Zadig has been used to install the drivers the best thing might be
> use "System Restore" to a point before it was used. Or go to Device
> Manager. Delete drivers. Then hopefully it should then automatically
> install the correct drivers. If not use the proper one you downloaded.
>
> 73 Alan G4ZFQ

Gary

I can only comment from my own experience with the AirspyHF+, when I first got mine, l also thought it had a problem. The ‘fix’ was that the micro-usb connection on the cable to the AirspyHF+ was not seated good and once I made sure it was plugged in all the way, it worked perfectly. A small thing I know, but sometimes it the small thing that causes a problem.

Gary, W5GGH

On 4/14/2018 8:07 AM, diogenes@... wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> Are you suggesting I used Zadig (I have no idea what it is) I simply
> plugged the AHF+ into a USB port and  I have already explained what
> happened then. When it would not work I downloaded the WinUSB
> Compatibilty Driver and followed the online instructions and it still
> would not work. Apart from trying it on three different pcs and also
> trying the USB cable from my AS that is all I have done.
> Peter
>
>  >> libwdi means someone had the bright idea to use Zadig for the HF+.
>  >> Unsupported scenario: There's no uninstaller for that driver.
>  >> Only remaining advice: Fix your drivers and NEVER improvise.
>  >
>  > If that is true, you used Zadig then maybe prog could be a little more
>  > helpful.
>  >
>  > DO NOT USE ZADIG.
>  > If Zadig has been used to install the drivers the best thing might be
>  > use "System Restore" to a point before it was used. Or go to Device
>  > Manager. Delete drivers. Then hopefully it should then automatically
>  > install the correct drivers. If not use the proper one you downloaded.
>  >
>  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

That said he might get lucky in Device Manager. Select the "WinUSB Generic Device" you found. Right click. Select "Uninstall Device". Unplug the ASHF+ and plug it back in a few seconds later. Then see what happens. If this does not work use "Uninstall Device" and then Install the compatibility driver. This might work. Otherwise a system restore point is your best friend here. (Those familiar with the "inf" folder can search the files for the .inf file that configures the dongle and delete it. But that is normally a high risk endeavor.)

All that said I'll ask a stupid question. What instructions did you use when installing the dongle?

{^_^}

On 20180414 12:23, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

I did as suggested below and managed  to get the unit working. Thank you to all who tried to help with the problem. As to your question about the instructions I used when first installing the unit. They were those at https://airspy.com/quickstart/
As far as I am concerned now the problem has been solved.

> That said he might get lucky in Device Manager. Select the "WinUSB
> Generic
> Device" you found. Right click. Select "Uninstall Device". Unplug the
> ASHF+ and
> plug it back in a few seconds later. Then see what happens. If this
> does not
> work use "Uninstall Device" and then Install the compatibility driver.
> This
> might work. Otherwise a system restore point is your best friend here.
> (Those
> familiar with the "inf" folder can search the files for the .inf file
> that
> configures the dongle and delete it. But that is normally a high risk
> endeavor.)
>
> All that said I'll ask a stupid question. What instructions did you
> use when
> installing the dongle?
>
> {^_^}
>
> On 20180414 12:23, Joe M. wrote:
>> I believe it's the report you posted that is suggesting Zadig was
>> used since
>> that is the driver that is installed.
>>
>> Others are simply telling you what the report is saying.
>>
>> Regardless, that seems to be the problem.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 4/14/2018 8:07 AM, diogenes@... wrote:
>>> Hello Alan,
>>>
>>> Are you suggesting I used Zadig (I have no idea what it is) I
>>> simply
>>> plugged the AHF+ into a USB port and I have already explained what
>>> happened then. When it would not work I downloaded the WinUSB
>>> Compatibilty
>>> Driver and followed the online instructions and it still would not
>>> work.
>>> Apart from trying it on three different pcs and also trying the USB
>>> cable
>>> from my AS that is all I have done. Peter

jdow

Hm, sometimes machines act funny. Anyway....

(Pumps fist in the air metaphorically) Yay! You got it working!

{^_-}

On 20180415 03:37, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
I did as suggested below and managed  to get the unit working. Thank you to all who tried to help with the problem. As to your question about the instructions I used when first installing the unit. They were those at https://airspy.com/quickstart/
As far as I am concerned now the problem has been solved.

> That said he might get lucky in Device Manager. Select the "WinUSB
> Generic
> Device" you found. Right click. Select "Uninstall Device". Unplug the
> ASHF+ and
> plug it back in a few seconds later. Then see what happens. If this
> does not
> work use "Uninstall Device" and then Install the compatibility driver.
> This
> might work. Otherwise a system restore point is your best friend here.
> (Those
> familiar with the "inf" folder can search the files for the .inf file
> that
> configures the dongle and delete it. But that is normally a high risk
> endeavor.)
>
> All that said I'll ask a stupid question. What instructions did you
> use when
> installing the dongle?
>
> {^_^}
>
> On 20180414 12:23, Joe M. wrote:
>> I believe it's the report you posted that is suggesting Zadig was
>> used since
>> that is the driver that is installed.
>>
>> Others are simply telling you what the report is saying.
>>
>> Regardless, that seems to be the problem.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 4/14/2018 8:07 AM, diogenes@tinfoilcat.com wrote:
>>> Hello Alan,
>>>
>>> Are you suggesting I used Zadig (I have no idea what it is) I
>>> simply
>>> plugged the AHF+ into a USB port and I have already explained what
>>> happened then. When it would not work I downloaded the WinUSB
>>> Compatibilty
>>> Driver and followed the online instructions and it still would not
>>> work.
>>> Apart from trying it on three different pcs and also trying the USB
>>> cable
>>> from my AS that is all I have done. Peter

jdow

BTW - you still haven't found your honest man. I'm not a man.
{O,o}

Ian Brooks

Its now the beginning of October 2018. I was having problems getting my Airspy Mini to  be recognised by the current version of SDR# on a laptop with a recent re-installation of Windows 7 SP1. The Airspy Mini works fine on a desktop PC with Win 10. I had decided to abandon SDR# and install the External IO as detailed in the Wiki in order to use the Mini with another Windows SDR program. This is the relevant quote from the Wiki: "For what concerns the driver's installation, please follow the original instructions. In my experience, on W8.1 the AIRSPY hardware was automatically detected by the system, whilst on the two W7 I had to resort to the XP procedure using Zadig utility and everything worked fine."
On my installation the Airspy Mini was not recognised and it remained in the "Other Devices" section of Device Manager with a yellow warning alongside. I then used Zadig, as suggested by the Wiki, and after it issued a "not responding" warning for about 5 secs, it came up with the message "driver installed". It is now in the "USB Devices" section of Device Manager and working properly. The driver details are similar to those posted by diogenes@ and the Mini is now recognised by SDR#.