Testers needed for Airspy HF+

prog

And speaking of getting some work done, here's the firmware du jour with higher IF AGC threshold to allow higher dynamic range.
If you feel adventurous (and generous) enough, please give it a try and give a detailed report of what you did and what happened in which situation.

http://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20180219.zip

Warning: Not recommended for casual radio surfing.

prog

Any one? C'mon! Don't tell me you only have comments about button colors and the speed of waterfall?

Dana Myers

On 2/20/2018 11:03 AM, prog wrote:
Any one? C'mon! Don't tell me you only have comments about button colors and the speed of waterfall?
I installed the FW update (without any problem at all).
So far I have done the usual MW/SW listening I normally do
without noting any regression. Haven't had a chance to torture
the HF+ with my e-probe but may get to that today. So far,
so good.

One thing that might count is that I did some MW listening
to a station with a very strong adjacent local. Typically
I'll switch to SSB in this case to avoid the high-frequency
modulation from the adjacent station. I can't say objectively,
and band conditions, etc., but it is possible that this
sounded better the bit I did last night.

[Comment about Fergie and the US National Anthem suppressed]

Cheers,
Dana

Peter

I think I see some unexpected instability(?) with low and high threshold settings ...
see video, note waterfall variations for settings AGC on/off , Threshold hi/low.

With the signals shown, best SNR results were achieved with manual Attenuation of 36dB.

Pete.

prog

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:15 am, Peter wrote:
I think I see some unexpected instability(?) with low and high threshold settings ...
see video, note waterfall variations for settings AGC on/off , Threshold hi/low.

With the signals shown, best SNR results were achieved with manual Attenuation of 36dB.

Pete.
Thanks Pete. That's very useful actually. AGC with Lower threshold seems to work good also. Can you post another similar video with the Preamp on?

prog

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:14 am, Dana Myers wrote:
So far I have done the usual MW/SW listening I normally do
without noting any regression
That's already a good thing!

Calder Latham

I am new to the HF+ but it seems to handle strong Shortwave signals without them showing up in the wrong places. I have been playing with your suggested AM bandwidth and looking at the IF at 10Hz to WWV and see if I can hone the Freq. Cal to a fine number. Takes a while for it to settle down. I am enjoying ALL your updates. Is there a tool to show EXT I/O to adjust Freq. cal. stand alone?

Keep up the great work. Cal...W1HHO

All the Best.
From the woods of Maine.
On 2/20/2018 14:03, prog wrote:

Any one? C'mon! Don't tell me you only have comments about button colors and the speed of waterfall?

Tudor Vedeanu

I'm eager to test this tomorrow. I'm on 1.3 and today for the first time I noticed some ugly AGC pumping on MW on the HF+.

Ruben Navarro Huedo (EA5BZ)

My HF+ is remote now at 150km from home.
If i could update from Linux i could try.

Peter

Under the same conditions, the preamp setting has no apparent effect ... see video

prog

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 01:04 pm, Peter wrote:
Under the same conditions, the preamp setting has no apparent effect ... see video
I can clearly see having the preamp on removes the intermod whatever other parameters you set. Funny.
I that case, I can also see the spectrum is exactly the same if you factor the extra gain from the AGC.
Thanks for testing.

Peter

OK - just one more ... preamp with dummy aerial ( 50 ohm ), stepping through manual attenuation

prog

At some point the internal analog noise was below the quantization noise. At that level the result is random.

prog

Edited

OK. Firmware version 1.4 is now official. The new firmware is available in the file section of this mailing list and the official product page:

https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/

Thanks all for your feedback!

EB4APL

I have installed version 1.4 F/W and honestly I cannot see any difference, it performs ok.

I have been looking carefully to the LF spectrum and saw several spurious that are intermods from MW (it happens with both versions 1.3 and 1.4) but these are not produced by the AirSpy HF+ since they follows exactly the steps introduced by a calibrated attenuator inserted between the antenna and the receiver.  In my high level RF environment they can be produced by any bad contact in the antenna neighborhood, for example in the fence or the outside light fixtures.

73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

Eric Oyen

well, if I had a unit and some properly accessible software, I would be more than willing to test.

btw, what I mean by properly accessible: all controls properly labeled, all can be read with a screen reader and all can be manipulated by keyboard alone (or by mouse for those who can see).

DE n7zzt Eric

On Feb 19, 2018, at 10:18 AM, prog wrote:

And speaking of getting some work done, here's the firmware du jour with higher IF AGC threshold to allow higher dynamic range.
If you feel adventurous (and generous) enough, please give it a try and give a detailed report of what you did and what happened in which situation.

http://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20180219.zip

Warning: Not recommended for casual radio surfing.

jdow

"Flash.bat"

VERY nicely done.

{^_^}

[Edited Message Follows]
*
Thanks all for your feedback!

prog

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 04:15 am, jdow wrote:
"Flash.bat"

VERY nicely done.

{^_^}
Thanks. I tried to make it hard for people to end up with a device without a working flash.

Peter

Sorry to bombard you with yet another video ...
Is this still an example of internal analog noise below the quantization noise ?

Apparent frequency of unwanted signal changes with HF Amp On/Off, and only appears at one step ( 42dB ) of HF Attenuation.
Apparent amplitude seems similar for both HF Preamp On/Off.

I'm the first to admit that I don't understand the internal intricacies of the HF+, but this just looks odd to me.

Cheers,
Pete.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 09:11 am, Peter wrote:
Is this still an example of internal analog noise below the quantization noise ?
Yes. The noise floor must be above -105 dBFS when the bandwidth is 768 kHz.
Subtract 3 dB from that level every time you divide the bandwidth by 2.