Topics

locked Problems with firmware update HF+

Keith McGinnis

Up until today I had been I had been running SDR# v 1635 and had previously upgraded the firmware (seemed to work since my signals were better and the NF was lower).  Today I upgraded to SDR# v1640.  First thing I noticed was that the firmware was showing 1.00.00.  So I proceeded to run the newest firmware update following the instructions in the update procedure.  My results from the CMD box are as follows:

AirspyHF+ Flash Utility
Looking for suitable flashable device
Looking for suitable flashing driver
This one can do the job \WINDOWS\INFOEM18.INF
Saving the Calibration
Rebooting the device in flash mode
'hfplus_reboot.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file
Press any key to close

I'm a little perplexed at what went wrong?

prog

Two problems here:
1) Your antivirus deleted hfplus_reboot.exe
2) You didn't proceed to the recovery procedure as per the instructions.

Patrick

Hi there !
<< First thing I noticed was that the firmware was showing 1.00.00 >>
How can one know the current firmware one's running ?

Ian DXer

Hi Yousef,

Thanks for the recent release of SDR# 1640 & recent firmware releases.

I've just installed SDR#1640 for use my HF+.
As above I note that v1640 shows my operating firmware as:  R1.00.00
I was initially a little surprised to see this version as I purchased my HF+ in the first week of January 2018 &
I note from your firmware changelog list on this page: https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/
that v1.0 became available from January 19th, some weeks AFTER I purchased the unit.
I also wish to state that since my purchase & arrival of the HF+ I have not performed a firmware update on my HF+ as yet.
In SDR# v1640 I would have expected to see firmware release R0.9 given the earlier purchase date before v1.0 January 19th release
on airspy groups.io
I ordered my HF+ from ITEAD.CC in the first week of January 2018.

So my question(s) is: Do I really have release r1.0 firmware or is there a bug in SDRv1640 that doesn't show the earlier r0.9 firmware that
I'm postulating that my HF+ really has? I'm confused.

I'm also asking this question above as I'm wondering if I need to (as per READ.ME file in Firmware packages) first perform
as you QUOTE: "the Recovery Procedure: Due to a bug in the first firmware"
Is the first firmware r0.9 or the version I have in my Early January device, which SDR# v1640 states as: R1.00.00
I'm confused & seek clarification on this matter as I don't know if I need to first perform the more involved "recovery proceedure"
or the simple/straightforward: " Standard Firmware Upgrade Procedure:"

My 2nd Question is: If for any reason, after updating the firmware, I wish to revert one of the older firmware releases, can I for example
re flash from r1.2 back to r1.0?

FYI: I'm using Windows 7 64.

Would greatly appreciate your assistance & clarification on these matters.
Thanks :-)

prog

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 03:29 am, Ian DXer wrote:
So my question(s) is: Do I really have release r1.0 firmware or is there a bug in SDRv1640 that doesn't show the earlier r0.9 firmware that
I'm postulating that my HF+ really has? I'm confused.
R0.9 is a patched version of R1.00.00 which has a bug that doesn't allow reflashing without the recovery procedure. Note that the naming has slightly changed.

My 2nd Question is: If for any reason, after updating the firmware, I wish to revert one of the older firmware releases, can I for example
re flash from r1.2 back to r1.0?
R1.2 has all the properties of the older firmware versions available as options. But you can reflash any older version if you really insist.

Ian DXer

Thanks Yousef for the linked reply (below)
Sorry I missed this message - all very clear now.
Perhaps the clarification could be further  emphasised in the read.me file (as per the message link) in the firmware files to avoid repeat uncertainties.
Language expression/interpretation can be problematic for many of us all at times.
Anyway all good now :-)
All the best.

https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/message/27611?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,first+upgrade,20,2,0,11144456

prog

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 04:40 am, Ian DXer wrote:
Perhaps the clarification could be further  emphasised in the read.me file (as per the message link) in the firmware files to avoid repeat uncertainties.
Ironically, that was cut from... the readme file!

Due to a bug in the first firmware, this procedure must be used for the first firmware upgrade. Subsequent updates should work with the standard procedure above.
Now why no one reads the readme file? That will remain a mystery.

Bernard Malet

Dear Youssef,

Firmware Updates

R09 airspy-hf-flash-20171022.zip

R1.0 airspy-hf-flash-20180119.zip

R1.1 airspy-hf-flash-20180207.zip

R1.2 airspy-hf-flash-20180215.zip

I did not expect to find Updates at the bottom of this page, but why not.
Affected page: https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/

In each folder.zip, above there is a file: airspy-hf-flash \ README.txt, this file contains the different procedures Pre-requisites:, Recovery Procedure: but there is actually no information on the modifications or improvements contained.
It would be very pleasant to know for each of these directories airspy-hf-flash what it contains as modification or improvement.
Currently you have, Youssef you still very much moved and this is your honor, however, for us, your users, we completely ignore the content of these different Zippes folder said improvement.

This is only a constructive remark

Best regards
Bernard

prog

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 08:26 am, Bernard Malet wrote:
This is only a constructive remark
OK. What am I supposed to do? Bringing "not a problem" with "no solution" is still no value.

Ian DXer

Hi Bernard,

You will find the details (improvements) that each firmware release provides in the files section here in the io.groups
https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/files/Airspy%20HF+%20Firmware%20Releases

I think this negates the need for Yousef to provide a customised individual text file in each firmware package explaining the difference in firmware.
Just my thoughts on the topic.
The only other suggestive thought I have in regard to your comments that you might find helpful would perhaps be a brief description of firmware differences to the right of the
firmware links on https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/
The implementation is Yousef's decision.

Cheers.

prog

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 02:06 pm, Ian DXer wrote:
The only other suggestive thought I have in regard to your comments that you might find helpful would perhaps be a brief description of firmware differences to the right of the firmware links
Or just a single changelog file.

Bernard Malet

I would have liked to be encapsulated with the compressed folder a single changelog file
Thanks to Ian DXer for more information
Best regards
Bernard

prog

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 02:03 am, Bernard Malet wrote:
I would have liked to be encapsulated with the compressed folder a single changelog file
Thanks to Ian DXer for more information
Best regards
Bernard
Are you sure you don't need the source code too? And the schematics and spice models?