Topics

locked chip and airspyHF+

Pierre Martel

OK after a lot of digging and cursing and learning.

I've been able to install the latest version of libairspy.

compile it and went well.

then moded spyserver.config to fit with my airspyhf+

and when it start, all is ok. But as soon I try to connect sdrsharp to it i got this.
chip@chip:~$ ./spyserver spyserver.config
SPY Server v2.0.1629 - http://airspy.com
Reading the configuration file: spyserver.config
Listening for connections on 0.0.0.0:5555
Accepted client 192.168.1.121:52931 running SDR# v1.0.0.1637 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Device was sleeping. Wake up!
Acquired the device
Illegal instruction
chip@chip:~$

Anyone can point me in the right direction?

Mark Bailey

For grins, try (for a problematic non-root permissions scenario):

$ sudo ./spyserver spyserver.config

prog

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 02:16 am, Pierre Martel wrote:
Illegal instruction
The CHIP is definitely not supported and it is not recommended for SDR in the first place, at least for the time being. It uses a very old CPU that is not worth the hassle for any developer.

Pierre Martel

DId try the magic sudo option as stated on the quick setup page ;-) not working either, but thanks for the answer ;-)

Pierre Martel

Well it has a better processor then a pi zero.

thanks anyway for the answer. will still be trying..

prog

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 07:05 am, Pierre Martel wrote:
Well it has a better processor then a pi zero.
What's point?

thanks anyway for the answer. will still be trying..
Good luck.

w9ran

On 2/9/2018 8:58 AM, Pierre Martel wrote:
Well it has a better processor then a pi zero.
Pierre, my suggestion is to forget about the CHIP.  CPU aside it's power management scheme is extremely poorly implemented, resulting in random uncontrolled shutdowns and subsequent data corruption, especially if you're using the USB port.  All this is well documented on their forum (along with the lack of response from the company).   It is of course out of production now, perhaps to be replaced by a new design that has been promised for months but with no response to requests for updated information.    An overview of their bulletin board system will show that it's devolved to a place for venting frustration, complaining,  and threats against the company.    Find a convenient drawer to store your CHIP in and move to a decent SBC.

73, Bob W9RAN

David Ranch

Putting it another way, even if you were able to get it running, a CHIP isn't going to have enough CPU power to keep up.  There are other small SBCs out there that have enough CPU power to run something like SpyServer but they aren't cheap (if that's your goal).  The other thing to consider is that NTC as a company is essentially dead.  They have customers who paid for products over a year ago that have yet to receive anything and I don't think they ever will:

   https://bbs.nextthing.co/t/planning-for-the-inevitable/19958

Don't get me wrong.. I think the CHIP Pro is a great SBC for low power projects.  I have two of them but I've essentially abandoned them as they have no future, no OS maintenance, etc.  Sad to see but it's pretty hard to run a solvent business when your trying to sell $9 boards against the likes of all the Raspberry Pis, *berry clones, BeagleBones, Tinkerboards, etc.  Brutal market for sure.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 02/09/2018 03:43 AM, prog wrote:
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 02:16 am, Pierre Martel wrote:
Illegal instruction
The CHIP is definitely not supported and it is not recommended for SDR in the first place, at least for the time being. It uses a very old CPU that is not worth the hassle for any developer.

Pierre Martel

yeah seen the havoc on the bbs. But been able to work on some stuff with that little machine.. Nothing fancy but I like the fact that it has a backup battery on it.. Headless it run pretty well. it all goes to hell with any of the 2 daughter board for hdmi or vga output.

Would have been fun to make this work. Was running all my command on sudo and the chip user.. Will try to run it from the root user.. could fix the illegal call

prog

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 10:06 am, Pierre Martel wrote:
Will try to run it from the root user.. could fix the illegal call
The CPU does not support some DSP instructions we use in the the spyserver. No amount of hacking will fix that.

Alexander

Hi Pierre! I have the same problem with Orange PI Zero H6 64 bit Ubuntu Server. In my opinion a problem in Airspyhf+ drivers. Spyserver perfectly works with RTL_SDR with the drivers compiled in the same environment.
Forgive for my bad English.

prog

OK. Here's another opportunity to unbury this post:

https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/message/27413