From a SDR Grapevine...

josephrot

Now we hear rumor and more than of next-generation SDR chips...

Solid word is, the "next gen" SDR components will call for i3 and i5 level Intel and AMD CPU's able to do he workloads. I suspect that current i3 and i5 based dual-or-more-cores will do nicely, but a few of the SDR guru's say "well, likely, for now, but please look at...".

It should NOT be hard for the SDR software players to induce dual-or-more-cores to turn on and accept SDR-related work, and that should be the key IF the next-gen is that "power hungry."

As of now, I don't THINK that the up-coming SDR + u-converter on one card is really next-gen or considered same by the so-called SDR guru's. Yet, it appears that the "next generation" SDR will place more "load" on the PC/Mac OS, meaning the motherboards.

Why else would the powers that be "recommend" users look now to beefier newer i3 and i5 CPU-based units, even going so far as to "recommend" specific CPU's like i5 3xxx series, although for now, these recommendations are supposedly for the so-called next generation SDR chips. ?

IF they can't translate more "workload" to the actual SDR chips, be they dongle or circuit-board based next generation, than that tells a tale of where the expected workload is or will be intended to wind up.

Of course, history may change, workloads may shift, yet we users, designers and distributors of SDR really had better start discussing now, not after the fact.

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN