Re: RTL-SDR / USB

jollyrgr3

I have been doing everything correctly.  There is a piece of information MISSING (or at least for my computer) in the instructions.  I shall explain.

I have been using the Right Click > Run as Administrator for years.  I used this for the install.bat and for Zadig.exe.  Everything appeared to have installed correctly and as far as I know it DID every time.  When I found a working version of rtl_test.exe it told me I didn't have any supported devices installed.  Running SDRSharp.exe gave an error message and no choice showed up for RTL-SDR / USB.

As a hunch I ran SDRSharp.exe with the Right Click > Run as Administrator.  No error message!  In the pull down there was a RTL-SDR / USB choice!  I selected this and hit play.  STATIC.  But the spectrum analyzer had all sort of peaks.  Punching in a known good frequency brought in a local FM station.  I exit and run SDRSharp.exe without Administrator and I'm back to the error message and no RTL-SDR / USB.

Same thing with rtl_test.exe.  If I run command prompt as a user "No Supported Devices Found".  If I run command prompt as Administrator it finds the device.

There is some wanky Windows permissions settings somewhere that I'll  have to track down.