Re: AirSpy You Loop Passive Magnetic Loop antenna ? #airspydiscovery

jdow

On 20200322 08:45:41, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
From: jdow
I believe the ARRL handbook is a good beginner's way to come up to speed. I'd
recommend it in your case. The pattern is, as has been noted, a figure 8 with
the nulls in the plane of the loop. Looking on the AirSpy website should give
you more details about the loop and it's construction and at least rough
specifications.
However, according to:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_antenna
"A common distinguishing feature of small loops is that their direction of maximum transmission or reception is within the plane of the loop – the opposite of large loops, whose maximum is perpendicular to the plane. In the direction that large loops produce their strongest signals in both transmit and receive, small loops have a null in their pattern. "
This would apply to the YouLoop.
73,
David GM8ARV
That needs more study. And for BCB loop sticks the null is off the ends of the rod - so of course! I was thinking of the pattern of a loopstick antenna when I made my comment. The COIL part is perpendicular to the stick. So pickup is in the plane of the coil.

Thanks for waking me up. That was a heavy error on my part.
{O.O}